Wine from home

RickSt

We'll be cruising out of Vancouver on the Coral NB to Alaska . Can we still bring wine from home on the cruise or will Canadian Customs snatch it at the airport ?

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you flying?

If you put it in your checked bag it should be fine as long as you are under the import limits which I think is 1 L

You can check the Canadian Border services agency site

The limit is 1.5 liters of wine which is 2 bottles per person. My wife and I always buy 2 bottles each from total wine when we go stateside on holidays.

Canada Customs won't care if it's in your carry-on or luggage when you enter the country. The issue is getting past security at your home airport which you will be unable to. The only way to have it on your person is to buy it at the duty free store (only if you have a direct flight out of the country) but their prices are quite expensive.

The 1 liter exemption is for hard liqour and you can't combine that with your wine.

You are allowed per person:

1.5 liters of wine

or

1 liter of hard liquor

or

standard cans/bottles of beer

As others have mentioned, you can travel into Canada with up to 1.5 liters of wine per person. The bigger problem will be traveling with it on the plane.

1) Unless you buy it at Duty free you will not be able to take in in your carry on. This will only work if you have a direct flight to Vancouver. Any connections will mean your wine will be taken from you at security.

2) You can put the two bottles in your luggage. I would recommend against that especially if it's red wine. If the bottle breaks your clothing will need a good cleaning.

Unless you are looking at some very special wine it might be worth checking out the selection of wines available in Vancouver before you board the ship. http://www.bcliquorstores.com/ There is a store at Hastings and Seymour which isn't too far from the Canada Place pier.

The limit is 1.5 liters of wine which is 2 bottles per person. My wife and I always buy 2 bottles each from total wine when we go stateside on holidays.

Well you can tell we no longer bother with taking wine/alcohol home when flying :D

Actually on our roll call we are tossing around the idea of having a wine tasting party on our cruise . The idea was to bring our favorite wines from our home states , not necessarily national brands but more regional , such as Lakeridge in my case .

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well you can tell we no longer bother with taking wine/alcohol home when flying :D

My DW tries to convince me that the 4 bottles of wine weighs the same as 4 pairs of new shoes and that the savings would be greater with the shoes.:D

I bring back 4 quality bottles of Napa wine that would cost 2-3 times that in Vancouver. I drink only with company so no more cheap stuff for me.;)

My DW tries to convince me that the 4 bottles of wine weighs the same as 4 pairs of new shoes and that the savings would be greater with the shoes.:D

I bring back 4 quality bottles of Napa wine that would cost 2-3 times that in Vancouver. I drink only with company so no more cheap stuff for me.;)

So do you just pay the duty on the extra bottles??

I only bring back the personal exemption limit when driving back

So do you just pay the duty on the extra bottles??

I only bring back the personal exemption limit when driving back

I declare 4 and the CBSA agent assumes that 2 are for her and we only bring back the exemption allowed. I've heard stories from friends that they "do declare" more and that they've been let through but but I don't drink enough to risk the hassle.

I only bring back California reds that cost near $20 that sell in Vancouver for $45-$55cdn.

I never buy wine on trips less than 48 hours but have heard from many that they do.

I've got a Nexus pass and won't jeopardize losing it. No long waits at the land borders or YVR for me & it's also handy when we switch planes back east when coming home from Florida cruises.

I declare 4 and the CBSA agent assumes that 2 are for her and we only bring back the exemption allowed. I've heard stories from friends that they "do declare" more and that they've been let through but but I don't drink enough to risk the hassle.

LOL

I agree

We have some good Ontario wines so just stick with those

I only bring back California reds that cost near $20 that sell in Vancouver for $45-$55cdn.

I never buy wine on trips less than 48 hours but have heard from many that they do.

I've got a Nexus pass and won't jeopardize losing it. No long waits at the land borders or YVR for me & it's also handy when we switch planes back east when coming home from Florida cruises.

LOL

I agree

We have some good Ontario wines so just stick with those

Think we should tell folks that we finally can transport wine (legally) between Provinces now ! lol

I did learn that when crossing by vehicle in nexus (or regular) and you have that surprise gift of wine for you Pax for xmas that you need not lie/or fudge your verbal declaration (even though you are within your legal amounts) Just pass the agent a note.

BTW I think BC wine is better. :p

To the OP/ It shoud be no problem to bring a couple of your local bottles well packed in your luggage. Most airlines have a 5 liter limit. But you should also know your cruise line policy.