Kids club for 8 year old

raerenee

My daughter wasn't a fan on the disney cruise. She said it was boring! The only time she was happy to stay was if they had an organized activity (like making flubber). So we only took her to the club twice. Once when we had an adults only dinner and another when they made the flubber. The room on the Disney Magic looked like a lot of fun but what i didn't like was the darkness and all the video games. We are on a beautiful ship on a beautiful day. Who would want to be trapped inside. So I get her not wanting to be there. It would be nice if RC had some outdoor activities for the kids or field trips from the playroom. What are your experiences?

I have a 12 year old boy, and an 8 year old girl. We were on Freedom this summer.

I am sorry to tell you they hated the club.

Said it was very boring, and wouldn't go back after the one and only time I forced them to go.

Because of my son's age, the only other time they weren't with us was when we went to see a show in the theatre.

The kids stayed in the room, had a few snacks and we went to the show.

Sorry...

There are however worse things then being bored, so if its just a matter of them not having fun, I'm sure if they met someone on the pool deck and decide to go to the area together it would have been better. My daughter made friends on CocoKay, and saw them several times around the ship.

She wasn't interested in meeting up but maybe your little one is more "social" then mine were.

I believe they did several activities... treasure hunt, movies, karaoke etc. They also had someone from the club come to the MDR to collect kids after about 50 mins of the meal as an option too.

Enjoy your trip.

Chass

I have a 12 year old boy, and an 8 year old girl. We were on Freedom this summer.

I am sorry to tell you they hated the club.

Said it was very boring, and wouldn't go back after the one and only time I forced them to go.

Because of my son's age, the only other time they weren't with us was when we went to see a show in the theatre.

The kids stayed in the room, had a few snacks and we went to the show.

Sorry...

There are however worse things then being bored, so if its just a matter of them not having fun, I'm sure if they met someone on the pool deck and decide to go to the area together it would have been better. My daughter made friends on CocoKay, and saw them several times around the ship.

She wasn't interested in meeting up but maybe your little one is more "social" then mine were.

I believe they did several activities... treasure hunt, movies, karaoke etc. They also had someone from the club come to the MDR to collect kids after about 50 mins of the meal as an option too.

Enjoy your trip.

Chass

Thank you for your response. I think i will be in the same boat with my daughter. We are traveling with other children she knows but I know she rather be swimming and walking around and seeing the sights. Which is fine with me. I would just use the club for say one dinner night. I think i will try in room sitting for late night out with friends. She would have her friends with her so I think she would be ok with it.

Wow... I guess everyone's kids really are different, and everyone's experiences really are different -- but from the time he was 5 to our last Disney cruise in February at 17, I have had to practically pry my son out of the kids' club and now the teen club. He would have been happy if I dropped him off on embarkation day and picked him up a week later, lol. :D He has always had SO much fun!! And the same with our Royal Caribbean cruises.

And on both lines, there have always been so many "field trips" and such, all over the ship -- racing handmade cars in the atrium, playing different games out on the sports deck, scavenger hunts that take them all over the ship, you name it.

Best thing I can suggest for next time, is to sit down with your kids and look ahead at the Navigators/Compasses/etc and get an idea of all the different sorts of activities they might be interested in. Then once onboard, do the same thing every evening before bed for the next day's activities.

And absolutely - to any parents - "strongly encourage" your kids to go to the first night's activities, whether they think they want to or not. Kids make friends/groups/cliques that first night, especially as they get older, and it really can make a difference in how much they enjoy going back after that. It's just how kids are. Heck, it's that way a lot of times with grownups too. :)

-gina-

Our son took his first cruise, when he was 6, and he loved Adventure Ocean. We went again when he was 8 and 9. He had a blast.

Granted, we have an only child, who is an extravert. So, he makes friends very easily.

On the 7-night cruises, Adventure Ocean normally does a talent show one afternoon in the theater. They also have a scavenger hunt, and they dress up as pirates and have a parade throughout the ship.

Now, we don't leave our son there every possible minute. He goes on all of the excursions we book, and he likes to swim in the pool most afternoons. We just usually put in Adventure Ocean in the evenings, because he's not big on eating in the MDR. We might also put him in after breakfast, if my wife and I each have an activity to attend.

From the toddler time to Adventure Ocean the children have enjoyed "camp" until this last sailing (Dec 6). The 11 yr old did not enjoy being placed in a group of 6 to 11 yr old. She said everything was for the "babies" and she felt way to old for the planned activities. All of the prior sailings AO was a hit with everyone!!! Maybe not every activity, every day but most of the time they all wanted to be with their new friends. On one cruise in 2010 a friend was made and they have stayed in touch and have even influenced a cruise together this past spring. It is nice to see kids making friends like that...

My kids have all been cruising since they were 2 or 3, and "camp" is a highlight of the trip for them, they too would rather play there than hang with Borg parents, lol. That being said, my youngest DD wasn't happy on Disney. The activities were more of a free-for-all than organized like she was used to on Royal. She was not wanting to go, and when there were times she did go, she was more than ready to leave, with Royal, we usually had to bribe her with a visit to the cafe for a cookie or pizza, lol. I too agree with going to the first session, it may be the first morning, most 7 nt cruises may not have a session on boarding day, just an open house.

My kids have all been cruising since they were 2 or 3, and "camp" is a highlight of the trip for them, they too would rather play there than hang with Borg parents, lol. That being said, my youngest DD wasn't happy on Disney. The activities were more of a free-for-all than organized like she was used to on Royal. She was not wanting to go, and when there were times she did go, she was more than ready to leave, with Royal, we usually had to bribe her with a visit to the cafe for a cookie or pizza, lol. I too agree with going to the first session, it may be the first morning, most 7 nt cruises may not have a session on boarding day, just an open house.

Thanks Nancy! I feel the same way about the disney kids club. It was a free for all! Basically kids running and jumping like lunatics. lol!

My daughter was 12 on our last cruise. She's never been much of a kid's space kind of kid. She took one look inside on EOS and said no thanks. I tried to entice her a few times without success. It didn't help that there were kids running in and out of there screaming like crazy. DD was happy tagging along with us or other family members so it wasn't a big deal.

I think it really depends on the kids and maybe even the ship. My kids loved Disney but they were also 5 and 8 at that point. My oldest was almost 12 when we went on the Navigator last year. We signed her up and that was the only time she went in other to check her sister out. Our youngest was almost 9 on that same trip. She liked the adventure ocean but I think it is mainly because they had games and she is super competitive. She once won us a free night at a resort and that seems to have set a trend where she is constantly trying to win us another vacation. If only.

So I do think it is up to your child. I didn't personally think the AO on the Navigator looked all that great. That said, I do think that boredom is a small problem. If there is a show or a dinner that you really want to go to sans kids my personal opinion is just tell them it is a small price to pay and they will get over it. If they like it, that is a bonus.

At least Disney gives you the pagers. I wish RCCL had those, which they did not when we went. Only for the really small babies. It was really nice on Disney having my kids be able to page me when they want out. Having said that, I'll take Royal any day over Disney. My kids might have been entertained on Disney but I was bored to tears.

Edited by debbs0723

I'm afraid my daughter is also not a fan of Adventure Ocean. However, she's a bit shy, and also not into a lot of physical activities or games--of which there are a lot, IMHO.

Also, since she is at the top of her age group in Adventure Ocean (6-8 year olds), if she's on the mature end of 8, she may find some of the activities "babyish".

However, I know many people who's kids have LOVED Adventure Ocean!

My suggestion is you really wish to have a night "out" is to have a plan B upfront. On boarding day, go to guest services and make a reservation for in-room babysitting. Secondly, you may have more success securing this reservation if you avoid the formal nights, which seem to be in higher demand, from my experience.

Finally, while my DD was also not a huge fan of having a babysitter, she had a friend along on our cruises with her, and we made a fun event out of it--basically allowed them to rent an in-room movie, and during the evening we delivered some Ben and Jerry's ice crème for the kids as well as the babysitters. It was a huge hit!

My DD is a bit of an introvert, but was a daycare kid and liked structured activities. She was never a fan of the Disney Kid's program, but always looked forward to RCCI, X, and NCL's.

When she was in the kid's program age, we did make certain that she attended the first night - as others explained, making friends that first night was always key.

We also never presented the kids club as "day care" "fun school" "babysitting" etc. It is an area exclusive to kids, for kids. If you indicate that you think that she is "too mature" for the activities, or present it in any way that she thinks that she is being dumped off there so you and your spouse can do grown-up stuff; she will resist.

Each night has a theme (pirates, aliens, pajama, etc.) There are craft activities, games (some physical others not), the staff can reserve areas (Johnny Rockets, golf, skating rink, etc.) for kids outings. DD has had tours of the galley and of the bridge on some of our cruises. The staff tends to be pretty fun.

Whether your DD may like the program depends partially upon what she likes to do; but the staff, the other kids, the weather, your attitude, and a hundred other things will factor into it. If she goes in thinking it will be "boring" it probably will be.

Once your kid turns 12YO they go up to the teen club and all bets are off. Teens don't like the structured programs and it is really all who they meet up with and hang out with.

Once your kid turns 12YO they go up to the teen club and all bets are off. Teens don't like the structured programs and it is really all who they meet up with and hang out with.

:eek::eek::eek: This is exactly what I'm worried about. My daughter will be 13 on our cruise. I'm not sure how I feel about the teens club. I see they are open till 2 a.m. I dare her to ask me if she can stay out until 2 a.m. :p

:eek::eek::eek: This is exactly what I'm worried about. My daughter will be 13 on our cruise. I'm not sure how I feel about the teens club. I see they are open till 2 a.m. I dare her to ask me if she can stay out until 2 a.m. :p

My 13 yo DD was on this cruise as well. There was a 1 am curfew on our cruise. We never let our daughter out that late ever before the cruise. We were very nervous the first night she stayed out past midnight, and I also wrote a post about the teen club in my review as well - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39312286&postcount=85

[with a quick follow-up post - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39328633&postcount=93]

Note - my DD13 is still in touch with a few of the kids she met on the cruise.