Downgrade to Inside Guarantee? Yes or No?

I'm torn!

We are booked in a large family oceanview cabin for one of our upcoming cruises on RCCL. We have made final payment yet.

Today, I noticed the inside guarantee rate on sale - a massive sale! A savings of $400 (meaning, the entire week-long cruise for 3 of us is $1,021)!

I'm torn as to whether or not we do this?

It's an island heavy itinerary, so we wouldn't have a lot of downtime in the room during the day anyhow...

I realize the room would also be a bit smaller, but when I check the website, it seems the difference will be 19 square feet...

I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been of booking a GTY on RCCL?

I'm not under the illusion we'll be scoring with a balcony upgrade or anything like that...

It's just SUCH a bargain, that I'm considering it...

If you aren't the type of people who stay in your room much - either out on islands or doing activities on the ship, and you are able to make the saving with RCI then I would say go for it. I did a GTY once and got really lucky, so I hope if you go for it, you get lucky too :)

Jo :)

DH and I usually do inside GTY. We'd prefer to use the extra $ on excursions or other treats while on vacation.

It's really up to you if you think you'll be happy in an inside room with smaller square footage in compared to how much you can save.

If you aren't the type of people who stay in your room much - either out on islands or doing activities on the ship, and you are able to make the saving with RCI then I would say go for it. I did a GTY once and got really lucky, so I hope if you go for it, you get lucky too

Jo

Jo, you've got me curious! How lucky did you get? Oceanview?

:)

[/QUOTDH and I usually do inside GTY. We'd prefer to use the extra $ on excursions or other treats while on vacation.

It's really up to you if you think you'll be happy in an inside room with smaller square footage in compared to how much you can save.E]

Thanks NETS33. What do you usually get? We can be happy in an inside cabin I believe, I'd just hope we're not right under the dining room or disco or something...

How long does it typically take for you to get your room assignment? The day or week of sailing?:confused:

Unless you are really attached to the location of the cabin and having an oceanview...... I'd go for the inside GTY. Especially for an island heavy itinerary.

Worst case scenario, you don't like the location of the cabin they assign, you can always check which other cabin of the same category is available and have them switch you. I have booked 50% of the time GTY rooms because of the great prices, and have always switched to better location (same category) once assigned.

Jo, you've got me curious! How lucky did you get? Oceanview?

:)

In fairness mine was a Balcony GTY price - was in my opinion too good to refuse especially as I was travelling alone so wasn't too worried about what I got, just thought it would be nice to have a balcony. Plus being a single traveller I was already paying double what I would have otherwise. I booked 3 weeks out from the cruise and was told to check my booking periodically from the following day for the allocation... Curiosity got the better of me and I checked that night... I got given a Grand Suite! Lord knows how, lord knows why but I did not question it and had the best cruise ever!

Jo :)

Thanks NETS33. What do you usually get? We can be happy in an inside cabin I believe, I'd just hope we're not right under the dining room or disco or something...

How long does it typically take for you to get your room assignment? The day or week of sailing?:confused:

I've had good and bad experiences with GTY. The worst was finding out that we were right near the bow of the ship and every morning when as we docked we heard a huge clanging noise as they prepped the ship for port. Our most recent cruise on NCL we had a GTY that had us right below the pool deck. I was a bit worried about noise but we didn't hear a sound all week.

It's truly a gamble - but we're willing to take it. I usually throw some ear plugs in my travel bag just in case.

I've sometimes gotten GTY assignments when booking, but it can be right up until the week you sail to find out the cabin. Depends on how booked the ship is.

Whatever choice you make it's better than being at home! :D

Edited by nets33

I've had good and bad experiences with GTY. The worst was finding out that we were right near the bow of the ship and every morning when as we docked we heard a huge clanging noise as they prepped the ship for port. Our most recent cruise on NCL we had a GTY that had us right below the pool deck. I was a bit worried about noise but we didn't hear a sound all week.

It's truly a gamble - but we're willing to take it. I usually throw some ear plugs in my travel bag just in case.

I've sometimes gotten GTY assignments when booking, but it can be right up until the week you sail to find out the cabin. Depends on how booked the ship is.

Whatever choice you make it's better than being at hom! :D

Fantastic point, well made!

For inside, assuming you don't mind possibly being on lowest or highest (below pool) decks, go for the savings.

You know never, named cabins may drop in price later on and you can switch back. I switched from a balcony guarantee to a named balcony on Allure (March 30, spring break) and saved nearly 20%.

I'll be the slightly dissenting voice and say that it sounds like you have a great cabin to begin with. Family oceanviews have a lot of space. I don't see the downgrade in this case as a value improvement, just a pay less, get less sort of thing. If you'll definitely be just as happy in an inside then go for it - no sense in paying more than you need. But 400 more for a FO also looks like great value too.

Has the OP ever sailed in an inside cabin before? We started out cruising in inside cabins for the first few cruises, then I decided if I had to do another inside, I'd rather not cruise at all. I really don't like inside cabins. For me, if $400 extra weren't a major issue, I'd stay with the ocean view. That's just my opinion though.

I travel alone and sometime stay in an inside. I always say if I had to travel with someone in an inside I would have to kill them. 3 people traveling I would definitely stay with the outside. Being able to open the drapes and see the light makes a big difference. Keep the window and have a great time.

Let us know if you are able to do this. I tried to downgrade on Celebrity,I was told it is not possible. Carnival, I Tried to downgrade in same category ,was told you can't downgrade.You can upgrade and pay more but not able to downgrade. I'm curious what happens

Let us know if you are able to do this. I tried to downgrade on Celebrity,I was told it is not possible. Carnival, I Tried to downgrade in same category ,was told you can't downgrade.You can upgrade and pay more but not able to downgrade. I'm curious what happens

Before final payment, yes.

After final payment, probably not.