Steakhouse

torilynne

We had dinner in the Glory steakhouse just last week. It is a great experience and a terrific value. I had a tuna tartare started that was easily worth the $35 charge for the whole dinner. I had lobster, my spouse had lambchops and we shared our entrees to create our own version of surf and turf.

If you like a pleasant relaxed, fairly quiet dining experience, you will be delighted. Because they serve a lot of food and because it is so good that I eat more of it than I should, we like to schedule our steakhouse dinner pretty early (around 6) even though we usually embrace the late dining on a cruise.

Go. Enjoy. Report back on your experience.

Hubby and I dined in the Emerald Steakhouse on the Glory last week and we felt it was well worth the $70.

I generally find when I cruise that by Wednesday I have lost my appetite so we booked it for early the first night of the cruise (6:30).

It was a spectacular meal and the perfect way to start our cruise (this was a getaway without our four small kids so a perfect date night)!

Hubby started with the crab cakes and escargot, both of which he said were among the best he's ever had. He had the surf & turf for his main and thoroughly enjoyed every bite.

I had the baked french onion soup which I adored - great depth of flavour and the ceasar salad (very good - though not my favourite - very strong anchovy flavour and not enough garlic for my taste) and then had the filet (huge portion) as my main. It was among the best I've ever had.

We finished with coffee and a "slice" of cheesecake which was far too big for us to finish.

But - everyone has their own opinion and there was a lady at a table not too far from us that sent her filet back three times!! Here I am savouring every bite of mine and she's telling the wait staff and the chef that the first one was "disgusting - covered in coffee," the second one was "unedible" and the last one was "raw." She said to hubby that she just wanted a steak that she could at eat. At least her hubby enjoyed his lamb! We figured they ended up getting the meal comp'ed, including the complimentary wine they offered since it was embarkation night.

For us it was an amazing meal in a wonderful environment and a great way for us to set the tone for our cruise but only you can decide if you want to pay the surcharge for the experience. Enjoy your cruise, we thought that the Glory was a great ship.

Jill

Its pretty amazing. Im from TX and we know our steaks. I can't wait to go again.

I live in Texas and I cringe every time someone says something like that because it implies the rest of the country doesn't know steaks. I assure you other states eat just as well - if not better - than Texans.

We had dinner in the Glory steakhouse just last week. It is a great experience and a terrific value. I had a tuna tartare started that was easily worth the $35 charge for the whole dinner. I had lobster, my spouse had lambchops and we shared our entrees to create our own version of surf and turf.

If you like a pleasant relaxed, fairly quiet dining experience, you will be delighted. Because they serve a lot of food and because it is so good that I eat more of it than I should, we like to schedule our steakhouse dinner pretty early (around 6) even though we usually embrace the late dining on a cruise.

Go. Enjoy. Report back on your experience.

Question,

Is it they serve a lot of food, or just time in between courses which makes you feel as if you have eaten more? Just curious.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Did on the Liberty in July and loved it. Sailing in 15 days on the Breeze may do it the first night to get a free bottle of wine. If not the first night I will eat there before the end of the cruise. :D

We had the free chardonnay and it was worth exactly what we paid for it. Food though was awesome

We eat in the steakhouse at least one time on a cruise. We really enjoy it. My husband gets a large steak and I get a lobster tail. The tail is much larger than you get in the MDR and tastes more like the Maine lobster I am used to than the rock type that i think may be served in the MDR. Neither my husband nor I enjoy the chocolate sampler but I love the apple dessert altho I have been known to not have dessert as I am very full from the meal.

Only you can say that it is worth it as I believe that is a personal opinion, but our opinion is that it is well worth it. Much more romantic than the MDR.