I would like....

GrannyJ

....to send my travel agents on a long cruise on a leaky boat heading toward a hurricane. We have a group of 20 going on a cruise in two weeks and they have messed so many things up it isn't funny! So far, everything has been corrected (not always totally to our satisfaction, but at least marginally acceptable), but I just got my documents today and, of course, my name is spelled wrong. It's been right all along on the invoices, etc., but all of a sudden it's spelled wrong. They're blaming it on Carnival....Carnival's blaming it on them. I don't care who's to blame....I just want my corrected documents. I'm told that everything will come out OK in the end, but I'm going to be a blithering mess by the time we leave. OK, thanks for letting me vent. When this whole thing is over, I'm naming names and giving details. Arrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!

Hey Granny, chill out! If you get this upset about a misspelled name, I hate to think of what will happen when your bus is 5 minutes late to the pier, there is no splenda in the dining room and the comedian isn't funny (happens an awful lot). If you intend to name names after this is all over, I suggest you spell them correctly. C'mon, you are going on a cruise and the happiness you receive from it will depend on the attitude you take going into it. Be thankful, and have a great time!

Hey Granny, chill out! If you get this upset about a misspelled name, I hate to think of what will happen when your bus is 5 minutes late to the pier, there is no splenda in the dining room and the comedian isn't funny (happens an awful lot). If you intend to name names after this is all over, I suggest you spell them correctly. C'mon, you are going on a cruise and the happiness you receive from it will depend on the attitude you take going into it. Be thankful, and have a great time!

I'm only upset about the misspelled name because I know your documents have to be right or it's problem time at the dock. And don't worry...I'm not taking a bus to the pier, I don't use Splenda and I usually find the comedian funny even if he's not. And, believe me, I WILL spell the travel agent's name correctly. I have a pretty good attitude, but five of us have had problems with this agent and I expect better than that.

I'm only upset about the misspelled name because I know your documents have to be right or it's problem time at the dock. And don't worry...I'm not taking a bus to the pier, I don't use Splenda and I usually find the comedian funny even if he's not. And, believe me, I WILL spell the travel agent's name correctly. I have a pretty good attitude, but five of us have had problems with this agent and I expect better than that.

o.k.... if you find the comedians funny, even when they're not (I don't quite understand that, but...) then you have passed the "Cruise Attitude Test!" Actually, it sounds like you have a poor travel agent. Have you tried booking directly with the cruise line? There's a little but more accountability when you go direct.

On both of my cruises, my mom got classified as a "minor" and couldn't purchase alcoholic beverages on her S&S card. These were rectified.

Also, a ton of charges from my mom's S&S card ended up on my S&S statement. Again, those get rectified.

Sit back, relax, and next time, find another travel agent.

misspellings are not a big deal. Been on 3 cruises on two different lines .My first name is short an e on my birth cert. They never looked at it closely. I always took my marriage cert (since my married name is on my DL) and they never asked for it. My married name is on id and docs but the birth cert has madden name and short the last e in Renee.

Take a deep breath and enjoy your cruise.

And how can you be so sure that the cruiseline didn't actually make the spelling error.

Well, I can't be sure either way, but based on the trail of screw-ups made by the travel agent, I'd put my money on them being the culprits. I will admit, though, I've put my money on the wrong number before.....

Well, I can't be sure either way, but based on the trail of screw-ups made by the travel agent, I'd put my money on them being the culprits. I will admit, though, I've put my money on the wrong number before.....

It can go either way. I have been sitting in the TA's office while she had Carnival on the phone several times to make changes/corrections and then it was still incorrect. (I had one person switched to a different cabin and they downgraded my cabin instead. They had someone down as a female instead of a male then the documents came and it still said Ms. the list goes on but hey 31 more days left!!

My husband's name is Marshall. On our last cruise, his name was listed as Marsha. No problem at the pier. DH presented birth certificate and was allowed on board. It was fun trying to convince the cabin steward to put the beds together! I guess she thought we were sisters trying to sleep together? LOL. I think she was relieved to see a 6'1, 200 pound show up with our luggage. She quickly put the beds together and wished us a happy cruise. Had to be there to know how appreciate the humor. Again, don't worry, it happens all the time. (My sister's name is Melessia,(ma-lisa-sa)and her documents always say Melissa, again, no biggie.)

My mom's birthname is Janice, all of her documents & DL say it. No one calls her Janice. She goes by Jan. Carnival told her, even if they spelled it wrong (Janis or Jan) it was OK because it's a variation of her name and it's part of her name. She had no problems whatsoever.

It's OK to vent and have frustration. I don't understand why people are telling her to (essentially) "Shut up and deal". She can be frustrated, it sounds like this whole thing has been frustrating. In these days of heightened security it is possible that names mis-spelled on docs could keep you from sailing. I too would insist they be corrected, and mailed out overnight at someone else's expense.

My boyfriends name was spelt wrong and he got on board okay. They did try to charge us $50 to correct it. I told them that charge was if another person was cruising and the name needed to be changed on the documents. They then said it was our fault and I said no because I called and reported it and was told one letter off was okay and new documents would not be processed and mailed in time. They did not really change it. We just went to the pursers desk on the ship and they gave him a new card(spelled correctly) and changed it in the computer system(not the documents). All was good afterwards.

These days it is just not something I would chance. I would new docs. MAybe it would be OK but what if you had some moron who decided to police the universe? It just would be horrible if you could not go.

These days it is just not something I would chance. I would new docs. MAybe it would be OK but what if you had some moron who decided to police the universe? It just would be horrible if you could not go.

Sometimes new docs just aren't possible....on my first cruise some mistakes were made (in my opinion is was my TA's fault as she didn't check the docs fully when they arrived and it just wasn't cruise docs that were screwed up either we vacationed in Florida first and the retal car was messed up and other stuff too) and we ended up getting our docs 2 days prior to flying out and there were still mistakes on the docs, so in some cases you just have to go with the what you've been given, we got on the cruise fine and had a great time.....needless to say we've never booked with that TA again.

GrannyJ, I know what you mean! Half of the fun of a cruise is the planning, and when your TA keeps messing things up, it is a headache and ruins the fun. Sure, we all know it's not the end of the world but it is frustrating just the same. :eek:

I hope the doc thing gets straightened out and that from the moment you step foot on the ship, you and your friends have a wonderful cruise! :)

It's OK to vent and have frustration. I don't understand why people are telling her to (essentially) "Shut up and deal". She can be frustrated, it sounds like this whole thing has been frustrating.

It seems that there are some here who feel no one has the right to be upset about anything, and feel it is their right to point that out. They usually attack the first time posters as well. This is a habit that I would LOVE to see change. Sorry, but really tired of all the smug, nasty responses to people's posting...some of which I am sure to receive after speaking my mind here...:rolleyes:

I generally agree with the previous poster. I know how it feels to be patronized or flamed on these boards. However, on this thread, I think we are trying to reassure the OP things will be alright. I think most of us empathize with his/her frustration. We just want the OP to feel better. JMHO

I can certainly see becoming frustrated with a TA or whoever when they can't even get a name spelled correctly. Some have blown that off but I'm sorry; not spelling your customer's name correctly is sloppy and bad business.

It would make me wonder what other details they hadn't focused on.

A bad experience, Grannyj, so sorry to hear about your frustrations. You're investing a *lot* of money into what you hope will be a smooth vacation experience, and someone's inattention to details starts it off on a sour note. I sincerely hope that everything gets ironed out okay, and all your worries melt away with that first step onboard!

Sure wish there was a TA feedback board where people could go and see what agencies or online sites people have used and posted their experiences with. I know of a couple that I'd steer people away from, and one or two who went above and beyond and wouldn't mind recommending.

I can certainly see becoming frustrated with a TA or whoever when they can't even get a name spelled correctly. Some have blown that off but I'm sorry; not spelling your customer's name correctly is sloppy and bad business.

It would make me wonder what other details they hadn't focused on.

Since she has had several issues with the TA it could be the TA's fault. However the chances are if she has been receiving the invoices with the correct spelling its more than likely a keying error on the carnival side. I've double and triple checked the spreadsheet that the TA faxed over to Carnival for an upcoming trip and still had errors when we received the documents which we had Carnival fix and reissue the documents since I don't want problems at checkin. I've been sitting at the TAs desk while she was on the phone with Carnival while she called in changes and items still came back incorrect.

crazidude1400what a world we live in--can't you be happy that you have the oportunity (sp?) to go on a cruise!?!?!?

What does that have to do with anything? Until you have gone through the frustration of dealing with putting together a group cruise you won't get it. It is a long frustrating process that doesn't really end until the cruise is over. :cool: You just have to keep it into perspective vent and let it go. At least the hard part is over since it sounds like you have everyones final payment in. Now you just stress over the hurricaine warnings. Every year I am clued to the TV watching the weather reports

Archived