Live from the Magni!

Bailey Swedishfish

Good morning!

My husband and I are in Vienna on day three of our Budapest to Passau Christmas market cruise in the Magni.

We arrived at the Budapest airport on Sunday for our early extension at Le Meridian. Someone on another Viking cruise grabbed one of our suitcases but it was recovered the next afternoon. whew! Le Meridian is lovely and elegant and right next yo the biggest of Budapests markets. French Press coffee every morning and warm gluwine every afternoon. If you are considering an extension, definitely spend the time in Budapest. It's a very easy to walk city with tons of interesting and historic sights. The Chain Bridge, Castle hill, The Churches and Underground Hospital are all worth the visit. Others we've met went to the Terror Museum and big city market and enjoyed those too. Try and get a dinner in as Rezkaka...fabulous upscale Hungarian with an excellent Gypsy trio.

The weather has been mid-20s to mid 30s. No sun, low clouds, humid. Some fog. There is a light dusting of snow in Vienna this morning.

Bratislava's Christmas market was quite lively with bands and lots if people ice skating under the huge Christmas tree. Delicious food, great deals and hot apple wine.

Life aboard ship is pretty leisurely. Hand sanitizer stations set up. Staff very nice, we love the Program Director Marek, who is Slovakian. Beds are hard, and the toilets vacuum flush which van be pretty loud when the neighbors go at 2am. Lots of storage under the bed for stowing luggage. Food is plentiful and good. The other guests are mostly retires, however we (51 and 52) have found other couples of similar vintage to chat and eat with. There are a few families with kids.

The bad? I caught a cold and the tissue on the ship is like wrapping paper. Hard and not absorbant. Ouch. The public areas are also chilly. Others were complaining so I know it's not just me.

Other than that, we are having a blast. Barring unforeseen issues, I'd give this trip an 8 out of 10 so far.

Glad to hear you're having a good time!

We were in Vienna this past June, when it was in the low 30s - Celsius! It must look a little bit different now. :)

Post a snowy picture when you have time, so I can compare it to the summer pictures that I have. Enjoy!

Sadly no snow. Heavy dense impenetrable fog! No sightseeing in the Wachau valley...couldn't even see the banks of the river. Nice trip to Melk Abbey (bonus of this season? No crowds!) leisurely stroll back to boat.

I am sitting out the Salzburg trip today. This head cold has morphed into a sinus infection and I needed a day of flaking out and not gallivanting in fog a drizzle. Sent my disappointed hubby to take pictures for me. Ah-choo!

Made it home safe and sound. The trip was lovely--we had a great time. I hope everyone conciders taking a Christmas Market cruise at some point. We did encounter some fog and heavy overcast weather, and a few towns were pretty quiet (shops closed for the season) however..I felt like we had the run of many places as we had them to ourselves. The Markets are wonderful--loved chatting with the locals and enjoying all the wonderful foods (and drinks!)

Everyone on board was wonderful. Our program director was Marek and he was a hoot.

If I have to nitpick--the beds are very hard and I found it odd that we never had sheets. Our bed was made with a fitted sheet and topped with a comforter. No flat sheet. But otherwise, it was great!

Sounds like a fun trip. Hope your cold didn't impact it too much.

I hate the way hotels have gone to just using duvets with no top sheet -- what happens if you get hot in the middle of the night? No options! Really not a good system IMHO. On the Embla this fall I asked for a top sheet to be added and there was initially some confusion (did I mean we ONLY wanted a top sheet with no duvet?) but it was quickly resolved.

We just got back from the last cruise of the year on the Magni (Danube Waltz). The weather was great. Beautiful weather for the cruise through the Wachau Valley. The Magni is beautiful. Markek the CD is terrific. His Mozart show was educational and entertaining! Pam and Karyzma are wonderful, we sat in their sections every time. Tibor was our room steward and he was great too. I really can't say how impressed (our 4th Viking cruise) we were with the ship and the service. We were truly spoiled.

We did the extension at the Le Meridien in Budapest and the hotel was lovely. Big rooms, right by the subway and a 15 minute walk to the Opera. We attended the Opera on New Years Eve. Die Fliedermaus was the Opera and the second and third act were in English subtitles--the building is beautiful and the music and singers were first rate. It was a lovely way to spend New Years Eve.

I will write a review after I get some sleep in the next few days. Happy New Year.