Upgraded to H class on Oosterdam

DAllenTCY

Howdy,

I have taken three cruises with an H class cabin on the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam. I am going on the Zuiderdam July 30, 2005, in an H class cabin. I book it for several reasons.

I would prefer a cabin with a balcony. But I like to take three cruises a year. I economize somewhat with the cabin, get an ocean view, and the room is usually quiet and reasonable. You will see the Promenade deck and there is a privacy issue if the crew is working on the life boats. But at least for me it’s not a big deal. I will never book an inside cabin. For me it’s not worth it. I like to see that the sun is out and it’s nice out. Also, the H deck cabins are in a reasonable location on the ship. I was bumped "up" to a C deck cabin. I wanted the H deck cabin.

People tell me once you book a balcony cabin, you can not go back to an outside cabin. The same applies to an inside cabin. Once you book an outside cabin, you never can go back to an inside cabin.

I do spend time in the cabin. But the cabins have always been nice and worth the great savings. I have also booked a similar cabin on NCL and it was worth it.

Bill

Like Bill, I had an 'H' cat cabin on the Oosterdam in Feb.

There is plenty of light coming in, and you can see the ocean.

You just have to be standing in order to see it. :rolleyes:

And I like the location as well. Convenient to the public rooms, and the promenade deck is 1 flight down. So you just need to glance out the window, then hit the stairs, and you'll be outdoors!

I'd book this cabin type again if the need may be. No disappointments here.

Enjoy!

:)

I had an Category H cabin on the Zuiderdam....4107 I believe. No problems. We lucked out and the lifeboat outside our window was used for a tender and also taken down in one of the other ports. We had great views for two of our port days! They do start cleaning and working on it early in the morning (About 6) so be prepared!

Theoretically the "H" cabins are "fully obstructed". This generally means there is a lifeboat across the entire window, but at least in most cases you can still see the sky, the sea, and the promenade deck. Certainly, plenty of natural light is let in.

"G" cabins are "partially obstructed", which would be better called "partially unobstructed" - this usually means that part of the window is obstructed but that you have unencumbered views from at least a portion of your window.

Views aside, these are nice cabins. I prefer the layout (which is like those of the balcony cabins) to those of the standard outsides, and the windows are floor-to-ceiling which is nice (even if most of your view is of a lifeboat).

Note that all of the above is from having looked at a few empty cabins of this type - I have not been in every single one so it is possible that some do not conform to this description.

If you want to be guaranteed a view, a regular outside will have no obstructions whatsoever so you absolutely, positively will have a view if that is really important to you.

Theoretically the "H" cabins are "fully obstructed". This generally means there is a lifeboat across the entire window, but at least in most cases you can still see the sky, the sea, and the promenade deck. Certainly, plenty of natural light is let in.

Oops....

Forgot to mention that!

Well, I did .... in my last post about this subject.

It's buried somewhere 'below' , but glad to help with this recent installment.

;)

Archived