Sheraton/ Melia- Jan 3

Chloesmom1

I've been reading the threads about the (now) Melia and it seems as if they have been offering the same day pass options as the Sheraton. Has anyone inquired as to whether they will continue to do so after the first of the year? We are still deciding on whether to go to the Hilton or Melia/ Sheraton but aren't sure if the latter is even still an option. There are, I believe, 5 ships in port the day we are going so we figure we should decide and book now.

Thank you so much for your help!

I've been reading the threads about the (now) Melia and it seems as if they have been offering the same day pass options as the Sheraton. Has anyone inquired as to whether they will continue to do so after the first of the year? We are still deciding on whether to go to the Hilton or Melia/ Sheraton but aren't sure if the latter is even still an option. There are, I believe, 5 ships in port the day we are going so we figure we should decide and book now.

Thank you so much for your help!

They will be continuing for some time.. they have plans to add more restaurants and other activities, but that won't take place until later in 2014. Until they reopen as an all - inclusive, day passes should remain the same.

I contacted the Melia (former Sheraton) via email regarding the day pass rates and received the following reply:

The Melia Day Pass and Day Use rates are as follows:

Day Pass $30 per adult

Day Pass with Lunch $50.00 per adult

Day Pass with Buffet $75.00 per adult

Children pay25% off the adult price

Day Use – 9am to 6pm

50% of the walk in rate.

So it appears that the 'Day Pass with Lunch' has increased from $40 to $50, making this particular option less attractive (depending upon of course the value of the lunch options!). I had not asked about the 'Day Use' rates, but this was included in the response. I guess this is the rate that one would pay for a room for the day, including access to the resort's amenities (that are included with the Day Pass).

I am curious to hear if anyone else has gotten a different response from the hotel on these day passes. We are heading there in about a week so I'll be happy to report back about our experience!

We got the same information and prices when we called and spoke to someone. They did not say it was a 50% off walk-in rate though. We plan on waiting to see if it is a nice day then just grabbing a cab over. If we get there and it is 50% higher I will walk next door to the Wyndham which is $20 for a day pass I believe.

Well, I think the "50% off walk-in rate" only applies to those wishing to book a room for the day - so half off the hotel's rack rate to use a room from 9 - 6. This would be considered the 'day use' rather than the 'day pass'. I think the day pass is firm at $30 (or $50 with lunch).

Hey guys, So I just got back from NCL Sky. Was in Nassau yesterday and did the day pass for $30. I was going to do that Day Room. But they wanted $163 US since it was close to Christmas. ( This was the rate they gave me on the phone when I called 1 week ago) so I think there 50% off rate now applies and there's no more $99 Day rooms.

I think the lunch isn't worth the price. We just ate a big breakfast and skipped lunch.

The resort looked empty, maybe about 30 people were outside. Not sure why not the resort was clean and nice. No issues.

Hey guys, So I just got back from NCL Sky. Was in Nassau yesterday and did the day pass for $30. I was going to do that Day Room. But they wanted $163 US since it was close to Christmas. ( This was the rate they gave me on the phone when I called 1 week ago) so I think there 50% off rate now applies and there's no more $99 Day rooms.

I think the lunch isn't worth the price. We just ate a big breakfast and skipped lunch.

The resort looked empty, maybe about 30 people were outside. Not sure why not the resort was clean and nice. No issues.

Thanks for the update! Can you share a little more info on the pools? My 13 year old son is coming with us and we were thinking about the Sheraton/Melia. What did you think of the pools?

I plan on going April 1st. Do you know if the pools are heated and what time they are open until?

Only one of Melia's pools is heated, but they only heat them in the winter. April is not considered winter.

Pools and beaches should be open til about 6pm this time of year.

Hi ScubaGirrl,

Wow, didn't know about the name change. I've updated the info on the webcam page to the new name. However, I can't find a reference to the webcam on the Melia site. Hope they continue to let it run! This has been a nice webcam, and would hate to see them shut it down.

Last we were there the Sheraton and Whyndham hotel next door operated almost as one hotel. Did they combine or still share facilities?

I also wanted to Thank You. We recently went to Atlantis and went fishing with Chubasco based on information from you. Great trip. My boys had a great time!.

Hi ScubaGirrl,

Wow, didn't know about the name change. I've updated the info on the webcam page to the new name. However, I can't find a reference to the webcam on the Melia site. Hope they continue to let it run! This has been a nice webcam, and would hate to see them shut it down.

Last we were there the Sheraton and Whyndham hotel next door operated almost as one hotel. Did they combine or still share facilities?

I also wanted to Thank You. We recently went to Atlantis and went fishing with Chubasco based on information from you. Great trip. My boys had a great time!.

Thanks for the webcam .. it's great.. hope they keep it as well.

As far as the Sheraton/wyndham, I've been told that you can no longer use both properties with one day pass. Wyndham is in poor shape these days. They say they will be renovating, but honestly, they need a wrecking ball.

Thanks for the update! Can you share a little more info on the pools? My 13 year old son is coming with us and we were thinking about the Sheraton/Melia. What did you think of the pools?

I've taken all three of my teens to the property and with the exception of one day of bad/cold weather, it was enjoyed by all. There pools are really fabulous (waterfalls, caves, swim up bar) and the beach is right there if you prefer that. My kids usually go back and forth.

I had read somewhere (don't recall where, but I don't think on CC) that you could just walk through the lobby of the Sheraton (now Melia) to access the beach even if you don't plan on buying a day pass. Is this true? Maybe Scubagirrl knows??? This would work for us as we only plan on being there for an hour or two, and don't need any of their facilities and don't want to needlessly spend the $30pp. I'm guessing that this may be the case at any hotel, not just the Sheraton. If anyone knows any details, please reply. Thanks

I had read somewhere (don't recall where, but I don't think on CC) that you could just walk through the lobby of the Sheraton (now Melia) to access the beach even if you don't plan on buying a day pass. Is this true? Maybe Scubagirrl knows??? This would work for us as we only plan on being there for an hour or two, and don't need any of their facilities and don't want to needlessly spend the $30pp. I'm guessing that this may be the case at any hotel, not just the Sheraton. If anyone knows any details, please reply. Thanks

I didn't pay much attention to everyone else out there but each time I've been everyone in our party was given wrist bands. If they're looking for those out there, it would be pretty obvious that you didn't have one.

doing so would be trespassing. Some people sneak thru, but that would be wrong. Whether you plan to spend 1 hour or 1 day.. doesn't matter. Though you may not need the facilities... you would be enjoying the beautifully maintained beach, life guards, chairs and towel service etc.

Edited by scubagirrl

Does anyone know what a taxi costs for 3 or 4 people to the Melia? Also how long does it take to get there? We don't dock until 2pm, so I'm hoping to get at least 3 hours to spend at the resort. I'm not worried about getting back to the ship, I have until midnight.