Problems with a Disney Ship?

stevenr597

We live at Cocoa Beach and we have become accustomed to the Cruise Ships leaving port and sailing out to sea. This Saturday we noticed that the Disney Ship left port and then appeared to sail around in circles for about an hour before leaving. Any problems with this ship?

We live at Cocoa Beach and we have become accustomed to the Cruise Ships leaving port and sailing out to sea. This Saturday we noticed that the Disney Ship left port and then appeared to sail around in circles for about an hour before leaving. Any problems with this ship?

It could have been a medical, and they were on standby. Could have been sea state that prevented the harbour pilot to exit/debark. They could have forgot the 50 cases of bananas. :D It's up for speculation as usual. I'll go for they forgot the cocktail sauce. :p

I'll guess that doesn't Help. But .... lol.

:)

ETA; We can only hope it was not a medical, and if so, we wish those affected a quick and speedy recovery.

Edited by bear3412

Did she actually steam around in circles, or did she look like she was more or less stationary and turning in circles in place?

This could have been the biennial adjusting of the magnetic compass. This antique piece of equipment is still required onboard, and still required to be certified by a compass adjuster every couple of years. They swing the ship through 360*, and check the magnetic compass to the gyro compass at intervals around the compass. The adjuster then moves small weights and magnets inside the magnetic compass to get it to read as close to consistent with the gyro as possible. It will generally not read the same as the gyro, but the error should be consistent.

Did she actually steam around in circles, or did she look like she was more or less stationary and turning in circles in place?

This could have been the biennial adjusting of the magnetic compass. This antique piece of equipment is still required onboard, and still required to be certified by a compass adjuster every couple of years. They swing the ship through 360*, and check the magnetic compass to the gyro compass at intervals around the compass. The adjuster then moves small weights and magnets inside the magnetic compass to get it to read as close to consistent with the gyro as possible. It will generally not read the same as the gyro, but the error should be consistent.

We have been watching Disney, RCCL, NCL, and Carnival go out of Port Canaveral for years. We have become quite used to their sailing patterns. In this case we initially saw the ship with its starboard side to use, then the stern, then the port side. All, at the same time that it had virtually stopped any forward speed. The ship, was still quite close to the shore and fairly close to a Carnival ship that had left a few minutes earlier. We had thought that there might be some time of medical emergency and the ship was waiting for a cutter to pick up the individual. WE put this on the boards to see if anyone else had observed this or knew something.

We have been watching Disney, RCCL, NCL, and Carnival go out of Port Canaveral for years. We have become quite used to their sailing patterns. In this case we initially saw the ship with its starboard side to use, then the stern, then the port side. All, at the same time that it had virtually stopped any forward speed. The ship, was still quite close to the shore and fairly close to a Carnival ship that had left a few minutes earlier. We had thought that there might be some time of medical emergency and the ship was waiting for a cutter to pick up the individual. WE put this on the boards to see if anyone else had observed this or knew something.

Ok.......fine but as listed above their are any number of possible reasons for the vessels maneuvering.

AKK

She was floating towards shore, as I saw her also.

The Carnival ship left port after Disney, passed her, and then stayed nearby for about an hour.

Disney didn't turn for over an hour.

She stayed still for a long time, as it looked like she had drifted onto a sandbar, she was so close to the beach.

Then slowly she edged her way sideways and turned with her bow as though she was headed back to the port.

After about an hour and a half the Carnival ship went on her way and Disney made several circles then headed on her way about 15 minutes later.

There better not be a problem with that ship as I will be in it in 34 days! And I am only on that ship because my wonder cruise got canceled for her unscheduled drydock! But I am sure everything is fine as after I saw this post last night I looked her up and she was sailing at 18 knots and was ahead of the Carnival Dream! Can't wait till our Jan 25th Fantasy cruise!

Any vessel can have a breakdown, but the DCL vessels are especially well designed/built and maintained.

It is not likely a breakdown of some type, as it was reported she set in one direction for a period of time, indicating she was under command and had maneuverability. Also if broken down or having any type of problems the USGC vessels, helos and the media would have been all over this.

Not to mention on the guests onboard would have been posting the issue.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Any vessel can have a breakdown' date='[b'] but the DCL vessels are especially well designed/built and maintained.[/b]

It is not likely a breakdown of some type, as it was reported she set in one direction for a period of time, indicating she was under command and had maneuverability. Also if broken down or having any type of problems the USGC vessels, helos and the media would have been all over this.

Not to mention on the guests onboard would have been posting the issue.

AKK

Duh! It's the pixie dust!

There better not be a problem with that ship as I will be in it in 34 days! And I am only on that ship because my wonder cruise got canceled for her unscheduled drydock! But I am sure everything is fine as after I saw this post last night I looked her up and she was sailing at 18 knots and was ahead of the Carnival Dream! Can't wait till our Jan 25th Fantasy cruise!

Can you send me the link to check on the ship? Thank you!

Just for informational purposes, this observation occurred on a Saturday out of Port Canaveral, which means it was the DCL Fantasy, which I didn't see mentioned in PP posts.

I like, and support the PP's theory the vessel was setting/testing it's gyros. I've seen this behavior on other vessels and never understood it. Perhaps this explains a lot. I will be sure to inquire within during on our next sailing, regardless of line. ;)

When a ship behaves like this in calm seas most feel it has a mechanical, or a medical. But after a bit of time passes everyone realizes it is in fact, not a medical. That leaves pax scratching there head. Lol. Some then assume it was a technical. lol.

Thanks for the potential unusual unexplained explanation. :D

Edited by bear3412

Just for informational purposes, this observation occurred on a Saturday out of Port Canaveral, which means it was the DCL Fantasy, which I didn't see mentioned in PP posts.

I like, and support the PP's theory the vessel was setting/testing it's gyros. I've seen this behavior on other vessels and never understood it. Perhaps this explains a lot. I will be sure to inquire within during on our next sailing, regardless of line. ;)

When a ship behaves like this in calm seas most feel it has a mechanical, or a medical. But after a bit of time passes everyone realizes it is in fact, not a medical. That leaves pax scratching there head. Lol. Some then assume it was a technical. lol.

Thanks for the potential unusual unexplained explanation. :D

Hi bear, just for the records its not the gyro compasses that would be tested in this manner, its the magnetic compasses. They spin the vessel thought all directions and adjust the magnetics(placed around the compass) so the compass has minimum error.

AKK

As stevenr597 said

It was unusual. There were 3 ships in port last Saturday.

2 Carnival and Disney. I was at Atlantic seafood as Disney passed through the canal and saw a Carnival ship still in port.

Disney usually leaves last, unless there is a ship in, for a port day but the itineraries may be askew because of Christmas and New Year.

We arrived home, put things away, then noticed ships lights very close to the beach which never happens.

Disney was dead in the water, too close to shore.

The 2nd Carnival ship left port and passed Disney, Carnival stopped and stayed about 3 miles south of her but much further out.

Where she was supposed to be!

The Carnival ship made circles until Disney edged herself further out from the shore, then Carnival left as Disney turned her bow as though she was going to return to port, but did a few circles herself and steamed away.

The fact that Carnival stayed (near Disney) for over an hour, made me think more was going on, which is why we watched her and Carnival.

I don't know what happened to Disney, but if it was medical, Carnival would not have stayed near Disney as she (Disney) was about 2 miles south of the port and could have had a helicopter pick up the patient or returned to port.

All we did was report what we saw.

If she was in trouble, or had propulsion problems, I'm sure we would have heard more about this unexpected part of the cruise by now via social media if not on here or else where.

I hope she is fine and providing an amazing Christmas Eve experience for her Guests along with the Magic, Wonder and Dream, and every other ship out there on the ocean!

Happy holidays to everyone aboard, Guests, Crew and Characters alike!

ex techie

As stevenr597 said

It was unusual. There were 3 ships in port last Saturday.

2 Carnival and Disney. I was at Atlantic seafood as Disney passed through the canal and saw a Carnival ship still in port.

Disney usually leaves last, unless there is a ship in, for a port day but the itineraries may be askew because of Christmas and New Year.

We arrived home, put things away, then noticed ships lights very close to the beach which never happens.

Disney was dead in the water, too close to shore.

The 2nd Carnival ship left port and passed Disney, Carnival stopped and stayed about 3 miles south of her but much further out.

Where she was supposed to be!

The Carnival ship made circles until Disney edged herself further out from the shore, then Carnival left as Disney turned her bow as though she was going to return to port, but did a few circles herself and steamed away.

The fact that Carnival stayed (near Disney) for over an hour, made me think more was going on, which is why we watched her and Carnival.

I don't know what happened to Disney, but if it was medical, Carnival would not have stayed near Disney as she (Disney) was about 2 miles south of the port and could have had a helicopter pick up the patient or returned to port.

All we did was report what we saw.

I don't doubt you believe what you saw, but remember judging distances and location and if its safe or not is never easy from ashore, nor do you know if its was safe or not or where the vessels should be. It takes a practiced nautical eye and even then there is room for error.

If the Fantasy was in any trouble, there would have been a big news reports, the USCG and tugs out there aiding.

As to a medical issue you don't know if the Carnival vessel was asked to stand by as well.

The bottom line here is that since we have not heard anything in 5 days, there was very likely not a dangerous situation.

AKK

I am several times a shellback, horned shellback, mossback, golden-dragon, order of the rock, cruising over the years, so I 'think' I know a bit about nautical miles, but it's neither here nor there.

I have been lookout for human trafficking, huge turtles, floating logs and debris floating in the Atlantic from our travels between the Bahamas' and Florida to keep ourselves from becoming fish food.

I will defer to knowledge of what happened off the coast of Cocoa Beach, Florida while posters are sitting elsewhere.

Other than what I and stevenr597 observed last Saturday, and it was that Disney was too close to our shoreline and still in the water for about 2 hours, then circled several times before taking off, the only other thing I do know about in this thread,

Is something UNUSUAL happened for several hours last Saturday night VERY close to shore with another ship (Carnival) in standby position.

I am several times a shellback, horned shellback, mossback, golden-dragon, order of the rock, cruising over the years, so I 'think' I know a bit about nautical miles, but it's neither here nor there.

I have been lookout for human trafficking, huge turtles, floating logs and debris floating in the Atlantic from our travels between the Bahamas' and Florida to keep ourselves from becoming fish food.

I will defer to knowledge of what happened off the coast of Cocoa Beach, Florida while posters are sitting elsewhere.

Other than what I and stevenr597 observed last Saturday, and it was that Disney was too close to our shoreline and still in the water for about 2 hours, then circled several times before taking off, the only other thing I do know about in this thread,

Is something UNUSUAL happened for several hours last Saturday night VERY close to shore with another ship (Carnival) in standby position.

I have been going to sea for 37 years, but as an engineer, I still tend to misjudge distances at sea, compared to deck officers. Not being tremendously familiar with the Port Canaveral area, I looked at some charts. Given that the Fantasy has a draft of 26 feet, in most areas south of the inlet to Port Canaveral, she could be 1/2 mile offshore, and not be too close, as the area is generally 32-40 feet, at low water. If she were conducting some testing, whether swinging the compass or testing thrusters, or whatever, she would have gotten out of the shipping channel and into the onshore areas to do so. Another possible explanation for why two ships would loiter in the same area, would be that the pilot boat was unavailable, and the ships both needed to drop their pilots.

I have been going to sea for 37 years, but as an engineer, I still tend to misjudge distances at sea, compared to deck officers. .

.......misjudging distance is a main reason why so many are killed by on coming trains also.....size and distance tends to distort perception some times.....:confused:

If she was in trouble, or had propulsion problems, I'm sure we would have heard more about this unexpected part of the cruise by now via social media if not on here or else where.

I hope she is fine and providing an amazing Christmas Eve experience for her Guests along with the Magic, Wonder and Dream, and every other ship out there on the ocean!

Happy holidays to everyone aboard, Guests, Crew and Characters alike!

ex techie

Considering the passengers have just now disembarked, we wouldn't have heard anything much from them yet....if we ever hear anything.

They had a very small discussion group on the DIS...only 15 pages total, so it wasn't one of the cruises where they had a lot of the typical chatty Disney cruisers. Very seldom do we see "live" reports.

And unless there were serious injuries or damages to the ship, we wouldn't have seen anything in the media, either. If a ship has a small problem and only circled around for a few hours, it wouldn't be news-worthy at all.

Totally wrong Ms. Diasy,

As you know if would have had lots of posts about any problem on the ship really fast. like 10 minutes after anything happens. Every time anything happens on a cruise vessel these days , people just can't wait to posts it, with or with out facts., this includes people sitting at home.

Being right off PC, the Media would have had helos in the air pronto, The USCG would had had boats standing by and talking by VHF and other means to the ship for everyone to hear from their boats.

I agree with the Chief, since we have had no reports of any problems, from anywhere including the USCG, Media, passengers, CM's. This is likely just a delay in the pilot boat. It would explain the Carnival Dream also waiting in the area.

The bottom line is the only comments are 4 people ashore at home watching at a distance, with limited knowledge of distance at sea, location of the vessels and no professional experience to say what if anything was going on.

End of story.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper