Is Roatan safe for private Tours? (MERGED THREADS)

lilmizz

Keep in mind Roatan is an island, much different than Honduras mainland. We have been 4 times and IMO it is about the safest we have been to. Wife and I have ventured to the east end by ourselves, never a problem. The people are very friendly and most all speak english.

Thanks so much for the info!

We felt very save visiting Roatan on a cruise and haven't spent enough time yet to get a real feel for the island. But it is beautiful and we plan to return for a longer visit.

You will certainly be fine on the excursion, no worries!

We were just there in Roatan.... and felt totally safe the whole time we were there! Book with a reputable outfit like Bodden Tours. You get a private tour guide for the day, for barely more than taking a cab somewhere. So well worth it.

And the private tour guides look out for your well being... it's not in their interest to have something bad happen to you.

This has been on my mind as well. We will be there 1/1 and I have a private tour booked for me and my 11 year old daughter. I'm a bit concerned being a single female with a young, female child. I would assume that Bodden would do their best to keep you safe but..... still wonder.

You won't have any problems..enjoy Roatan..:)

This has been on my mind as well. We will be there 1/1 and I have a private tour booked for me and my 11 year old daughter. I'm a bit concerned being a single female with a young, female child. I would assume that Bodden would do their best to keep you safe but..... still wonder.

You won't have any problems..enjoy Roatan..:)

The current media would lead you believe otherwise::eek:

On Dec 24th the US State Department issued a new travel advisory for visitors to Honduras because of the incidents of high crime and violence:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_6236.html

Honduras police say great-granddaughter of General Foods Inc heiress slain in Caribbean:

http://www.news.com.au/world/south-america/honduras-police-say-greatgranddaughter-of-general-foods-inc-heiress-slain-in-caribbean/story-fnh81jzo-1226791076049

Honduras has had the highest murder rate in the world since 2010. 50 (now 51) Americans has been killed in Honduras since 2008 and only 2 (now 3) of the murders have been solved.

Here we go, just like "Don't go to Mexico" and already 3 threads on this. This specific event is not related to travel and tourism. Travelers and cruisers always need to be prudent in choosing their surroundings, esp in the evenings. But that's no different than at home.

Hope this isn't blown out of proportion for a month...

Edited by blue_water

Here we go, just like "Don't go to Mexico" and already 3 threads on this. This specific event is not related to travel and tourism. Travelers and cruisers always need to be prudent in choosing their surroundings, esp in the evenings. But that's no different than at home.

Hope this isn't blown out of proportion for a month...

Sorry if I'm blowing this "out of proportion." I just thought some may want to be informed. I for one.....have never been to Honduras....and did not know the following:

the Government of Honduras lacks the resources to address these issues (crime).

Since 2010, Honduras has had the highest murder rate in the world.

the Government of Honduras increased police presence and established special police forces in areas frequented by tourists, such as the Copan Mayan ruins and Roatan.

The vast majority of serious crimes in Honduras, including those against U.S. citizens, are never solved....of the 50 murders committed against U.S. citizens since 2008, police have only solved two.

Members of the Honduran National Police are known to engage in criminal activity, including murder and car theft.

police often lack vehicles or fuel to respond to calls for assistance. ....As a result, criminals operate with a high degree of impunity throughout Honduras.

Kidnapping affects both the local and expatriate communities, with victims sometimes paying large ransoms for the prospect of release. Kidnapping is believed to be underreported.

Sorry.....but I don't feel like getting jacked while touring some ruins or a shakedown from the local police. I think I'll stay on the ship and guard the buffet. Ya'll have at it. :D

Edited by uckhenry

Sorry if I'm blowing this "out of proportion." I just thought some may want to be informed. I for one.....have never been to Honduras....and did not know the following:

the Government of Honduras increased police presence and established special police forces in areas frequented by tourists, such as the Copan Mayan ruins and Roatan.

The vast majority of serious crimes in Honduras, including those against U.S. citizens, are never solved....of the 50 murders committed against U.S. citizens since 2008, police have only solved two.

Members of the Honduran National Police are known to engage in criminal activity, including murder and car theft.

police often lack vehicles or fuel to respond to calls for assistance. ....As a result, criminals operate with a high degree of impunity throughout Honduras.

Kidnapping affects both the local and expatriate communities, with victims sometimes paying large ransoms for the prospect of release. Kidnapping is believed to be underreported.

Sorry.....but I don't feel like getting jacked while touring some ruins or a shakedown from the local police. I think I'll stay on the ship and guard the buffet. Ya'll have at it. :D

I'm sure that will help...

You realize the Post cereal murder was a domestic violence case, right? They have those in Savannah, don't they? Been to Roatan, love it, going back.

While the above quotes are true for Honduras, US State departments page on Honduras also notes that:

Copan, Roatan/Bay Islands, and other tourist destinations have lower crime rates than other parts of the country.

They advise the following precautions...

Exercise particular caution walking on isolated beaches, especially at night. Coxen Hole on the island of Roatan should be avoided after dark.

I'm sure this is good advice in many cruise ports.

To the OP..I would walk around Coxen at night by myself, but I sure would not in many U.S. cities...I really think this subject gets confused with the Honduras mainland..We have been in some really remote areas by ourselves with never a hint of a problem..There is a harbor security guy there by the name of Larry Gale. He hangs out at a little dock right outside the gate at Coxen after the ship is tied up. He has a white center console boat tied there. He would be the man to talk to about safety. He is very friendly. Tell him Buddy from Texas sent you.Once you have been there you will see how safe you feel and wonder why you worried.Photo of Larry.

SANY1921.jpg

how to use print screen

SANY1919.jpg

screenshot software

Just an FYI Detroit and New Orleans have higher murder rates than the 50 per 100000 that Honduras has. The entire US is not that high, but a fair number of cities have 30 plus murders per 100000 people. I would not go wandering around in N.O. or Detroit after dark but wouldn't be afraid to walk around there in the day time in well traveled areas, not down dark alleys. So due diligence is required but I don't think fear is a need. I have been to Roatan 3 times on cruises and have done Tabyana Beach 2 of the 3 times. It is a fairly long ride but it is an interesting ride, to see just how fortunate we are in the US.

To the OP..I would walk around Coxen at night by myself, but I sure would not in many U.S. cities...I really think this subject gets confused with the Honduras mainland..We have been in some really remote areas by ourselves with never a hint of a problem..There is a harbor security guy there by the name of Larry Gale. He hangs out at a little dock right outside the gate at Coxen after the ship is tied up. He has a white center console boat tied there. He would be the man to talk to about safety. He is very friendly. Tell him Buddy from Texas sent you.Once you have been there you will see how safe you feel and wonder why you worried.Photo of Larry.

SANY1921.jpg

how to use print screen

SANY1919.jpg

screenshot software

Thank you for the info! And Happy new Year!!

Miami is much more dangerous and scary then Roatan! I've been to both Roatan and the mainland- they are completely different, might as well be different countries. That being said, you still have to use common sense wherever you travel.

Im going to be using Victor Boddens private tour as excursion. My question, How safe is Roatan? Trip advisory says not so safe in Roatan but tourist sites rent as bad. Whats not "as Bad'

Miami is much more dangerous and scary then Roatan! I've been to both Roatan and the mainland- they are completely different, might as well be different countries. That being said, you still have to use common sense wherever you travel.

Thank you!

ROATAN WARNING! 02 JANUARY 2014. SHOTS FIRED AT MY FAMILY. RENTAL CAR HIT BY BULLET, ROBBED AT GUNPOINT. Please use extreme caution if traveling to Roatan, an island cruise destination off the coast of Honduras. This past Thursday, during our Carnival Cruise port call, while driving on a beach access road on the northeast side of the island, a masked gunman sprung from the bushes about 30 feet in front of our car. With no warning he aimed and fired his semi-automatic weapon, striking the front hood of our rental vehicle. My wife and our three daughters, ages 8, 14, and 15, were with me. My immediate reaction was to put the car in reverse and try to back down the gravel/dirt access road to distance my family from the gunman. I wrecked the rental after driving approximately 75 yards in high speed reverse. The gunman pursued us on foot with pistol drawn. I got out of the car and when the gunman arrived he proceeded to rob us of cash, iPhones and camera. The encounter lasted approximately three minutes, and for most of that time he had his gun pointed either at me or at my daughters.

The gunman was 20-25 years old (best guess), brown native skin, black hair, about 5'8" tall, and weighed approximately 200 lbs. He spoke almost perfect "Island English".

Carnival has responded by providing comfort to my family, and has handled this incident in a caring and professional manner. The local police are investigating.

Roatan has only one major east/west running paved road. Many of the beaches and tourist destinations are located away from this paved road, and must be accessed by driving on un-paved secondary roads through rural "jungle" areas. Use extreme caution when off the main path, especially when in a highly noticeable rental car.

Also on the same day, another cruise guest had a shotgun pointed at his family while on a sight-seeing guided van tour. They were also on a remote un-paved side road.

If you would like specific information concerning this incident please email me at f16cuda@gmail.com.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL IN ROATAN. As for us, we will not be back.