Is Roatan safe for private Tours? (MERGED THREADS)

lilmizz

My husband posted the incident. I am his wife. My three daughters and I were a part of this nightmare. It did happen. It did not make the news because Roatan does not want this to get a lot of publicity as tourism is their main source of income.

We were lucky that we were not hurt. I feel that if we had not had any valuables to give this thug we would have been killed.

So please use caution when traveling there.

Carnival is taking this very serious and is taking measures to warn its customers.

There is a suspect who has been arrested. He was found lurking around west side with a gun that matched the description of the gun fired on us. My husband was emailed a photo to see if he could identify him. He could not 100 percent since the thug that robbed us had most of his face covered.

Our only purpose for putting this information out is to warn people. Please be careful.

We have photos of our car stuck on this road as well as photos of the place where one of the bullets fired left an imprint on the hood of the car. Had that bullet been a little higher it could have hit my eight-year-old daughter that was sitting in the center of back seat.

Email me at vsantos54@comcast.net and I will be glad to share.

Again, please be careful.

That is very scary! Happy to hear you are all ok. Thank you so much for sharing this information.

My husband posted the incident. I am his wife. My three daughters and I were a part of this nightmare. It did happen. It did not make the news because Roatan does not want this to get a lot of publicity as tourism is their main source of income.

We were lucky that we were not hurt. I feel that if we had not had any valuables to give this thug we would have been killed.

Carnival is taking this very serious and is taking measures to warn its customers.

There is a suspect who has been arrested. He was found lurking around west side with a gun that matched the description of the gun fired on us. My husband was emailed a photo to see if he could identify him. He could not 100 percent since the thug that robbed us had most of his face covered.

Our only purpose for putting this information out is to warn people. Please be careful.

We have photos of our car stuck on this road as well as photos of the place where one of the bullets fired left an imprint on the hood of the car. Had that bullet been a little higher it could have hit my eight-year-old daughter that was sitting in the center of back seat.

Imprint on hood of car, you mean hole?

I must say that we were not knowledgeable of the dangers lurking in this island. We are both airline people and have traveled many places in the world. We have learned a great lesson having gone through this. The crowded beaten path is not a bad thing. The rental agent recommended the east side of the island to us. He said there are 5 cruise ships here today and the west will be very crowded.

I also have to say that the owner of this private beach has been very active in the investigation of this incident. She has kept my husband up to date on everything including sending him a photo of the suspect arrested.

She is also hiring security to be in place in this stretch of road leading to her beach.

The locals were devastated this happened to us. They realize we are their main source of income.

A friend of my husband was there via Royal Caribbean. He tells him that they were warned not to wander off.

So again, please be cautious if you decide to wander off here.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I emailed your husband 2 days ago and haven't heard back so I just forwarded my email to you. Please attach the pics you mentioned.

As I said in the email you should try to get your story on CC news, ************, etc. Did you report it to the state department?

He is a pilot and is out of town often. He will respond. I am attaching photos as well to anyone who emails. He said he called the State department and they just said they will document it as a statistic. We are willing to report it to any news entity because we want to get the word out. We are not very knowledgeable concerning how to go about it.

We feel so fortunate we survived this. Miss Venezuela was not so lucky.

We just don't want this to happen to someone else. They may not be so lucky.

I'm interested in the name of the private beach. It seems like that is where the problem occured and the area we should know to avoid!

Also, which rental car company recommended that you head to the East End of the island to avoid the more populated areas?

It seems that for future cruisers, the answers to these questions would be great to assist in helping make plans (and knowing which businesses and areas to avoid!)

My husband and I have been to Roatan several times on cruises. Initially, there were not many options for shore excursions or private tours but the island has grown in this regard. From the beginning, however, I always felt it best to use a local tour company for our visits there. The first time we booked with Fosters and they provided transportation to and from the ship. The second visit, we did a day pass at the Mayan Princess Resort and took a taxi there with a number of other people. The third visit we booked Tabayana Beach Break through the ship and it was our least favorite. There were rows and rows of chairs that were so close together it was hard to sit down or get up.

Our last trip was by far our favorite. We booked with Steve Bush of Roatan Trips & Tours. Steve made our day great and we arranged a very personalized tour of the island. We went to the Butterfly Farm which was very interesting. He took us to a high point of the island so we could see the views and take pictures. He then took us to the Half Moon Resort for a few hours. There isn't a beach but they have lounge chairs right on the water which you can walk into. Not crowded and it was delightful.

We highly recommend Steve Bush and will use him again next time we visit Roatan.

Edited by Susie

The name of the beach is Palm Beach Resorts, however, the owner tells us she has taken measures to implement security from the main road to the beach. She has also been very active in pursuing the criminal investigation in this case.

The danger is not just isolated to this beach but any road off the main road. We have received a foto of the suspect who fits the description of our attacker. He was arrested lurking around the west side of the island with a gun fitting the description of the one used on us. If this was the guy, he and two others have also been linked to a murder committed there a day or two before we were attacked. The rental company is KIA rental. Again, we don't feel they were linked to this crime.

The recommendation of the last post is possibly the way to go.

Just a note on where to find your private tour guide if you do choose this option and are docked at Mahagony Bay. You have to walk out to where the taxis are, which is obviously outside the shopping area. THEN, you take a left at the road and walk up and down the hill to where the private tour guides are allowed to pick you up. You will see them down there when you crest the hill.

Poor Steve Bush! We misunderstood this and HE WAITED down there for us for almost 2 hours! :eek: Boy, did we feel stupid but VERY appreciative!

At the end of your day, the private guides can drop you off back inside where the taxis are located.

Just do as you would anywhere at any time, in an American town or city or anywhere else in the world, use common sense and keep safety in mind at all times and you'll have a great time.

Edited by Susie

He is a pilot and is out of town often. He will respond. I am attaching photos as well to anyone who emails. He said he called the State department and they just said they will document it as a statistic. We are willing to report it to any news entity because we want to get the word out. We are not very knowledgeable concerning how to go about it.

We feel so fortunate we survived this. Miss Venezuela was not so lucky.

We just don't want this to happen to someone else. They may not be so lucky.

Thank you for sharing. I certainly have taken note of all the comments regarding this incident.

Everyone.....stay safe.

I should have included in my initial post that I feel very badly for the people that had bad things happen to them. It is so very unfortunate for them and anyone else that had a frightening experience. We've been lucky over the years to not have had these kinds of situations. Although we've had some scares, we've been fortunate to have had nothing to this degree. All the best to those who have had unfortunate experiences.

p346801594-2.jpg

I'm sad to hear of the scary event. These things happen in many places where there are tourists and opportunity to prey is easy. Glad to hear it turned out okay, and sad that the family will forever carry a heavy burden when they vacation.

I've never been to Roatan, but researching my options here. What would be more useful for those that know the island well/visit it often. Instead of advocating how safe and how heavenly the island is would be to be more honest and share honest recommendations.

I live in a safe place and traveled many places where nothing bad happened, but I can imagine bad things happening and I should could share tips. The purpose of the board is to provide info and tips. Thanks to vsantos54 for sharing.

Im going to be using Victor Boddens private tour as excursion. My question, How safe is Roatan? Trip advisory says not so safe in Roatan but tourist sites rent as bad. Whats not "as Bad'

My family and I used Victor Boddens tours a few years back. Felt very safe. Victory Bodden has a lot invested in his business & I don't believe the company would place people in situations that would cause a backlash on their bookings. In reading various posts here the gov't warnings seems to pertain to the mainland. The heiress that was murdered was someone that attempted to help addicts & was killed by someone she knew.

Hope you have a wonderful tour & enjoy a beautiful place.

Edited by LynneL

I have limited post on this board but you can see I have been a member since 2005. I can support the 1/2/14 story with a similar story from a group trip to Roatan at the end of July 2013. Several members of our mission trip from main Honduras went to Roatan for some R and R at the end of the trip. A few members experienced petty theft on the West End, a stolen rental scooter from outside their hotel and a scary incident happened on the East Side near Paya Bay.

Three members of the team, a female and two men (6'9" and 6'4") were riding scooters back from a day trip to Paya Bay and were nearing the main road when they were stopped by three men (one with a shot gun and two with machetes, all wearing bandanas). They were robbed of phones, watches and cash and almost had the female herded into the jungle for who knows what before the older gentleman reasoned with them that that was enough and the robbers already had a lot of cash and valuables. Thankfully, they were allowed to go on their way. Our family had stayed on the East Side this last summer but never left the resort we used (which had a armed guard 24/7).

I have been to Roatan 5 times (cruise and multiple day stays) over the last 14 years and only feel it is becoming more unsafe. This is a shame because it is a beautiful island with mostly wonderful people and incredible diving.

Stick to your organized tour groups (cruise line or private) off the cruise boat and you should be fine. I would not purchase property of go independent anywhere on the island for the foreseeable future.

And shame on posters for calling out the family posting their unfortunate experience.

The name of the beach is Palm Beach Resorts, however, the owner tells us she has taken measures to implement security from the main road to the beach. She has also been very active in pursuing the criminal investigation in this case.

The danger is not just isolated to this beach but any road off the main road. We have received a foto of the suspect who fits the description of our attacker. He was arrested lurking around the west side of the island with a gun fitting the description of the one used on us. If this was the guy, he and two others have also been linked to a murder committed there a day or two before we were attacked. The rental company is KIA rental. Again, we don't feel they were linked to this crime.

The recommendation of the last post is possibly the way to go.

Thank you for the information. We've "re-evaluated" our plans of renting a car on our upcoming trip -- I think we'll stick with Victor Bodden, too!

So sorry for what happened to you and the family, everytime I read it I flash-back to being carjacked in Austin, Tx years ago. I was "in a strange land", but at least in the U.S.!

It sounds like you and your children have a nice, strong support system to get you through the horrible memories of this event. My thoughts go out to you.

...And shame on posters for calling out the family posting their unfortunate experience.

I totally agree. Some of the people on this board are very rude basically telling people they are either liars because they just joined travel sites recently or at fault because they didn't do adequate research. If they had been browsing CC without joining or posting they would have probably seen mostly glowing reviews about how safe it is. What better way to get the word out to people researching ports than to join these types of sites and tell their stories. Those that have been here for a long time with a ton of posts (4000+) shouldn't run people off. I think the name of the site gives some people the limpression they should be critical of other posters like they are the internet police.

BTW I saw people complaining about CC today on a FB group called Carnival Cruisers Past, Present and Future saying CC loyalists like to run others off. Keep it up and this site may lose its relevance if people choose not to contribute their experiences good and bad.

I can't imagine how scary this must have been for this family and especially the kids. I appreciate their email replies with photos and more details and hope CC will run their story. BTW Looking up there names on FB I saw a few pics and comments that verified for me what they said about themselves including a pic of the wife with a daughter by a Roatan sign.They look legit and like a very nice family who likely travel a lot more than us average cruisers via their airline jobs and who may be too busy with 5 kids and traveling for work to post a lot on travel sites.

If you want to learn more about crime in Roatan look at the Bay Islands Voice monthly newspaper that has monthly crime stats in each issue and runs several articles about crime and corruption and its possible effect on tourism.

I love Roatan as a cruise port and choose cruises that go there over the other western caribbean ports and will continue to do so. I feel safer there than in Jamaica. I would not rent a car in either place or take a cab by myself which I do feel comfortable doing in Cozumel. I would feel comfortable taking a private tour with a few others. 3 of us hired a van to drive us around the island several years ago from Coxen Hole before MB and didn't have any problems. Want to go stay there a week soon for diving trip but probably won't leave the resort unless on excursion or with guide arranged by resort. Some people may call me a wimp for not exploring on my own, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and still enjoy the beauty of this island above and below water.

image.jpg.9c864805bbbb0d78b3943da78ebd2f23.jpg

Edited by pamawi

And here is another batch of comments today on FB about how negative some people are on CC and running people off.

I have not and do not plan to post negative things about CC on other sites but thought ya'll might want to be aware of how we are being perceived by some people out there. I can't imagine a FB group would be nearly as full of content and easy to do research on as CC but you can get some quick answers to your questions without the usual snarky comments asking if you did any research before posting your question and wasting anyone's time and the "here we go again" comments if someone questions the safety of a port or posts a travel advisory or article about a crime.

image.jpg.4e6d86431407db6ebae7d0503f9273f3.jpg

Edited by pamawi

I do have to say a couple things since I am visiting Roatan very soon.

1 - very sorry for anything that may have happened, I mean that.

2 - the first time I googled Roatan and anything that has to do with it, the number one thing is AVOID the east side, and number 2, do NOT do it on your own.

These results came from a combination of on here and the state.us.gov site about Honduras, and many other travel sites.

I will state that anything can happen to me at anytime, I understand that.

This person(s) has very limited posts here on CC. Someone mentioned that they are a previous cruiser so they are cool and everything is legit. Um, did you actually cruise with them, or did you just go by their previous TWO posts? Did you look at the post count? Did you interact with this family on your cruise? Do you know them by a first name basis?

This person also made the same post on TripAdvisor....... they just created the account and made the long post............ seems like either no research or a completely scammer.

If they are not, and you actually know them, please let the world know ASAP. We already know a lot about them, such as they are from Atlanta.

Again, if this happened, I am very sorry for them and I understand anything can happen to me at any time. I understand I could go to a completely safe place and get murdered.

This is just a friendly reminder, PLEASE only believe people with credibility on the Internet. These people have ZERO credibility right now with lack of posts and communication with others and where they are "spamming" their message.

And again, I am just going by research, my research says do NOT GO near the east side, especially on your own............ um, these people(s) have like 3 total post combined on here and on TripAdvisor. It may be legit, and I am so sorry if it is, but not saying they are a "fake", perhaps they do not research or anything and just think they can drive through wherever they want at anytime without looking things up??? If that is the case, you get what you ask for. They have knowledge of these forums, if they want to read them or not is their decision.

Then again, to rent a car........... sorry bro, you had to do some research and know better to rent a car in Roatan! Where did you learn about the car rentals? How did you make your decision? You had to have learned somewhere! If not............. again, sorry, but I would not take my family to part of Honduras without doing research.

So either way, the OP is kind of out of luck or credibility. A simple search would show to NOT go driving on the east end of Roatan! If they researched and just did it on their own...... again, very sorry man, and I mean that.

Long story short, you should have known better :(

Definitely a lot of ranting and unnecessary innuendos and nastiness in this post and in other posts on this topic. Very rude indeed, I must say!

just4steven I started the thread below on TA in the hopes of getting validation of the event and that looks to be the case. So if that's the thread you're referring to I'd say you owe vsantos54, at least one apology, just sayin'.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k7094675-Violent_crime_reported_by_family_from_cruise_ship-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Just a note on where to find your private tour guide if you do choose this option and are docked at Mahagony Bay. You have to walk out to where the taxis are, which is obviously outside the shopping area. THEN, you take a left at the road and walk up and down the hill to where the private tour guides are allowed to pick you up. You will see them down there when you crest the hill.

Poor Steve Bush! We misunderstood this and HE WAITED down there for us for almost 2 hours! :eek: Boy, did we feel stupid but VERY appreciative!

At the end of your day, the private guides can drop you off back inside where the taxis are located.

Just do as you would anywhere at any time, in an American town or city or anywhere else in the world, use common sense and keep safety in mind at all times and you'll have a great time.

We're using At Your Service tours this visit, they offer some amenities for a price that's similar to the typical private guide ($10 more pp) and can also pick you up inside the port area which is a nice perk. Most of the amenities they offer like wifi and free calls home we don't care about, but free drinks we may take advantage of. They also have good reviews.

Be sure to tip your guides if they provide a good service, this includes guides at the monkey park or elsewhere.

This comes up frequently. There is night and day difference in the mainland as opposed to Roatan. We always feel extremely safe there.

I live on Roatan,

There is a reason I have a couple dogs, both WILL bite, I have a full time armed watchman, I have security cameras and I have a glock 9mm on me and under my pillow at night.

"Feeling safe" has nothing at all to do with how safe one is or isn't, as a matter of fact it can be detrimental

Definitely a lot of ranting and unnecessary innuendos and nastiness in this post and in other posts on this topic. Very rude indeed, I must say!

just4steven I started the thread below on TA in the hopes of getting validation of the event and that looks to be the case. So if that's the thread you're referring to I'd say you owe vsantos54, at least one apology, just sayin'.

:rolleyes: I already said I was sorry for them in the original post. I also understand that this or worse can happen to me no matter how much research I do or how prepared I am. I am going here soon so we shall see.

Speaking of the other posts mentioning what they found on Facebook, I started off on this site all "innocent" and helping when I can and of course asking for lots of help. I guess some of what I read has rubbed off on me at times :D I really love the ones on here that have been a member for maybe 2 years and have like 50k posts and you see them responding to questions with "use the search function" about 100 times a day. Long story short any Internet outbursts I have are most likely directly related to how others are posting. Might be a totally different thread, but it rubs off on you. This is a great site so hopefully the overall bashing does get toned down and we can all be one big happy family :)

Now, back to the safety to keep this on topic, the overall consensus seems pretty good I would say?

:rolleyes: I already said I was sorry for them in the original post.

Funny,

I didn't get that "vibe" from your post following the inuendos aimed at the OP but whatever...:rolleyes:

Looking forward to our day on Roatan in a few weeks as well as land vacations at other destinations, everyone be safe wherever your travels take you. :)

Funny,

I didn't get that "vibe" from your post following the inuendos aimed at the OP but whatever...:rolleyes:

Actually it would seem there were plenty of innuendos, when someone replies to a post with things like

anything that may have happened
as if it may not have happened?
the number one thing is AVOID the east side, and number 2, do NOT do it on your own.

I have seen this posted numerous times by the same person, Just one perspective

This person(s) has very limited posts here
As if that matters at all?

This person also made the same post on TripAdvisor....... they just created the account and made the long post............ seems like either no research or a completely scammer

Many people are member of both sites and BTW Tripadvisor OWNS Cruise Critic , can we blame someone for wanting to spread the news about problems?

Again, if this happened

Once again casting doubt

This just scratches the surface of the innuendos and criticisms in the post, if you do not see it then maybe time to re read

Edited by Monkeylala

Sorry I was "direct" in my original post. The fact is that I got bashed by it from someone who did the exact same thing, the only difference is bluewater used a different method. In fact, in my opinion, the way bluewater started the thread on tripadvisor was worse than me being direct. That was calling the OP out in public, so it's the same thing. Perhaps you too owe an apology?

Some of the responses in tripadvisor shows we all are/were thinking the same way. I didn't bash bluewater for posting the tripadvisor thread thinking the OP was making it up as well. Love how you gotta bash my method even though we were all doing/thinking the same thing. Gosh, and people wonder why cruise critic gets a bad name. Think about that, just some that want to internet fight, we were all doing/thinking the same thing. So can I call you out now bluewater? Because what you did would be very offensive to the OP, more so than me being direct.

On top of that, anyone that has been on travel forums for some time should know............ if anyone makes a negative post about a place, company or experience and it is their first post, um, are you going to believe it? From the sounds of it, it sounds like you do. If that is the case keep believing everything on the internet.

I'm going to go relax now and enjoy my upcoming cruise. You all can keep carrying on with the internet fighting on here that you enjoy. Just remember, we all thought the same way about the OP, we just took different approaches. Thanks for bashing mine. Additionally, don't forget rule 101 about reviews from people with 1 post. These internet fights of trying to prove people wrong or starting internet fights when you are doing the same thing is just SOOOOOOOO much fun :D