Formal Night Question - AOS

Greetings! I'm new to this board but have gotten so much helpful info in the past couple of days. DH, DD (4) and I are cruising on AOS in September. I understand people have strong opinions about how people should dress on formal night. My question is, how critical is it for DH to wear a tux and for me to wear a long dress? We would not typically dress that way; our style would be more a dark suit & tie for him and a shorter cocktail dress for me. Do you think we'll feel uncomfortable dressed this way? I can't get a handle on how many people dress "to the nines." Thanks for any feedback.

Sharon

Whatever you are comfortable with is the way you should go - as long as it fits the guidelines for formal nights. You'll see both kinds of attire. I think most of the time it is determined by the woman and what she wants to wear.

We find it easier to rent a tux locally and then you don't have to worry about a suit needing to be cleaned after the cruise.

(Beachchick here)

You will be dressed in the same fashion as a large percentage of the pax. A dark suit and tie is perfect for your DH; yes, we all love our DHs in tuxes, but I can live with a nice suit. That said, if he doesn't want to lug his suit and accessories, you can rent him a tux that will be delivered onboard. There's a website, cruiselineformal or something like that. We used it last cruise (special anniversary w/ sister and BIL and our mom insisted on a really formal shot; well, heck, she was footing a good part of the bill as our joint anniversaries present, so how could we say no?). The tux was basic, but in good shape and fit fine. Otherwise, he doesn't do the tux anymore and just flat got tired of lugging it and all it's stuff.

For you, a nice cocktail dress with snazzy jewelry and heels will be perfect. That's what my sister and I always wear. We no longer own full length gowns. Nothing wrong with them, just not our cup of tea--and from what we've seen many, many women agree with us. Last cruise about 60% of the women were in cocktail dresses with "fancy" accessories. About 60% of the men were in suits the first formal night and about 80% were the second formal night.

You will be fine and look smashing--don't fret another minute about it.

And have a terrific time!

beachchick

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal and four casual nights.

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four to six casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal and four casual nights.

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four to six casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

OHunion Cruzers, you must be awfully board since this is the only thing you post on these boards....

But anyway, wear what you are comfortable wearing. I wore a nice pants set with rhinesone studded flip flops and my DH wore a sport jacket and pair of Dockers... our waiter told us they would never deny entry into the dining room unless you didn't have a shirt on, wearing shorts, etc.

This isn't about a fashion show, it's a vacation!!

OHunion Cruzers, you must be awfully board since this is the only thing you post on these boards....

But anyway, wear what you are comfortable wearing. I wore a nice pants set with rhinesone studded flip flops and my DH wore a sport jacket and pair of Dockers... our waiter told us they would never deny entry into the dining room unless you didn't have a shirt on, wearing shorts, etc.

This isn't about a fashion show, it's a vacation!!

IMHO, flip flops and dockers are not appropriate for formal nights and belong in the Windjammer. Wearing what one is "comfortable" in is not always in good taste.

One of the disappointments in RCI over the past few years is the lackadaisacal enforcement of dress codes. IMO, it is a real shame.

Not bored (note correct spelling) just that there are way too many people who can't get it right, and I will keep posting until they do ! ! !

I wore a nice pants set with rhinesone studded flip flops and my DH wore a sport jacket and pair of Dockers

This doesn't sound like too much World Class to me. In fact if that is what you wore on formal night, I'd say "No Class"

Thanks to all who offered feedback. I appreciate it... I had read the guidelines on the website a long time ago and forgot they mentioned the dark suits for the men. Based on all of your comments I have a better understanding of how to proceed with the pre-cruise shopping! Thanks.

Archived