Mayan Ruins

tfox1018

Belize. Choice of 3 very nice sites that you can climb around on. Altun Ha, Xunanatunich or Lamanai. Altun Ha is relatively close to Belize city and can be done on a 4-6 hour excursion, sometimes with a city tour or river tour thrown in. Xunantunich is a 2+ hour bus ride away and entails crossing a small river via a hand cranked ferry and separate transportation to the site. Can be an all day affair if any delays. Lamanai is also several hours away, usually reached by bus/van and boat. Some ships don't offer it as an excursion. Definitiely a long day affair but many people think highly of the site.

Cozumel has a smaller coastal Myan ruins about a 25 minute taxi ride from the piers. Not nearly as extensive as most Mayan temples in Mexico. Canbe disappointing if you are expecting a larger site. But relatively cheap to access and doesn't hog the whole day. Ships and vendors also offer excursions over tot he mainland for the ruins at Tulum or Coba. Both require a 45-50 minute ferry ride to the mainland on regularly scheduled public ferries which may or may not fit the time for your ship. Tulum is a 30-45 minute bus/van taxi ride south of Playa del Carmen. Beautuful vista on the ocena, but you are regulated to set pathways and can't climb the ruins. People on ship excursions complain about lack of water/food although lunch/snacks are mentioned. People using private vendors feel rushed to catch the ferry for return. Coba is similar and another 1/2 hour in travel time beyond Tulum.

Roatan has no ruins. There are some faked "ruins" at a couple of resorts. But Roatan is an island and Mayas for the most part, were only in modern Western Honduras near Guatemala, and were not a coastal/sea-going people. Doubtful they even knew the island existed although they may have traded with the Payas who were nomads that lived along the eastern coast of Honduras and on the bay islands before being ran off or enslaved by various Europeans and pirates in the 1600s.

First time in Mexico in March, so I'm eager to see at least something. I guess Tulum would be the best option in Cozumel?

Coming from Europe everything is exotic in Mexico, so even smallish Maya ruins will do for a historic venue for us. Rci offers Coba an Tulum. Which one to choose?

Thanks for your kind advice.

First time in Mexico in March, so I'm eager to see at least something. I guess Tulum would be the best option in Cozumel?

Coming from Europe everything is exotic in Mexico, so even smallish Maya ruins will do for a historic venue for us. Rci offers Coba an Tulum. Which one to choose?

Tulum is on the mainland, meaning you'll take a ferry from Coz to Playa del Carmen and then a tour bus from their; I would only book this through the cruiseline to ensure that you return in time and don't miss the ship :eek: (watching pier runners in Coz is a favorite passtime of those already on the ship!).

Coming from Europe everything is exotic in Mexico, so even smallish Maya ruins will do for a historic venue for us. Rci offers Coba an Tulum.

Tulum isn't "smallish". You'll be able to spend considerable time there, if you are interested in the ruins. Coba is further away. In either case, being able to return to the ship is important.

I would like to say first that I totally agree that Tulum and Coba are both much larger and more impressive than the ruins at San Gervasio on Cozumel.

That being said...San Gervasio is a very interesting site and can be toured in a short time for very little expense. The ride/drive to get there is about 15 minutes and you can easily explore on your own for just a few dollars.

It was a pilgrimage site where Mayan women went to seek help from a fertility goddess.

I have toured sites throughout Guatemala and Mexico and thought San Gervasio was very unique and interesting, representing a late chapter of Mayan development.

If you would like to have a "little ruins" and still have time for a "little beach" it may be a nice option.

I would actually pick Coba. I have been to several ruins: Chichen Itza, Xunantunich, Altun Ha, Tulum and a few smaller sites. I have not been to Coba but have researched it and I think it is more like what you imagine a visit to Mayan ruins will be like. Tulum has everything roped off and there are few trees around. It is full of people and really not as good as the other sites due to those issues. I was planning Coba for this last cruise but due to a variety of reasons, I did not visit. Book with the cruise line as it is a long day.

For the person deciding between Belize and Cozumel, I would book Coba from Cozumel or Xunantunich in Belize (I have heard Lamanai is good too but I have not been).

To me....and this is only my opinion....Tulum is like a "museum". It's located on the ocean, so there are beautiful views and the monuments are very well preserved. It's so over traveled though, that it almost feels touristy. Most structures are "hands-off" with ropes around them. Coba on the other hand is deep in the jungle and only 1/3 of it is excavated so far! It's going to be huge someday many years from now if they keep clearing and excavating. Coba has the tallest pyramid on the Yucatan peninsula and while it may not be as "Pretty" as some of the structures in Tulum, you can still climb it for really gorgeous views above the trees! It just feels more "authentic" and "hands-on" to me. I know they are both authentic, but Coba is a really cool experience.

The first and last are Tulum. The middle two are Coba.

Tulum1.jpg.4a5a1859f91fe5791d42234a6ef14e7e.jpg

Coba1.jpg.19486b14c1e77e8e9e55b1f912de9b38.jpg

Coba2.jpg.5687464760c82926f2dc4ea0beb59664.jpg

Tulum3.jpg.196eadad507f915f7ab75dfed151cd51.jpg

I Will be on the Caribbean princess in april. I booked thru princess the lamanai excursion and the coba one.

The Lamanai excursion seems like a total d'aventure with the hour boat ride to get to it .... After the bus ride!!!

In Roatan I choosed the snorkle on the magicien Island resort.

Did I made the good choices?

Thank you