Caribbean Princess - RE: Texas alcohol restrictions

luvseaside

I keep reading references to the restrictive alcohol policy while the CB (& other ships) is in Texas waters, so I thought I'd ask those who have recently sailed - what brands of wine, beer, and drinks were available during that period? (For those who don't know what I am referring to, the ship may only serve alcohol regulated by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission while in TX boundaries). We are sailing the first of Feb. and I'm a bit of a "wino." I do plan on bringing on my alloted amount, but curious since the husband likes to start the cruise with a cocktail. Just wondered if this mean Vines would be closed until late Sat (on the remote chance we leave port on time.) Any info is appreciated from those who have sailed recently! :)

Oh, and FYI for future cruisers from Texas: They are going to starting taxing psgrs for incoming duty-free cigarettes and alcohol. They are just trying to kill tourism. Unbelievable. http://www.tribtown.com/view/story/a22d7060372f4013958a2fc1fec06da0/TX--Texas-Seaports-Taxes

Edited by luvseaside

I was on her 2 weeks ago, but the only thing we got while still in Texas were a couple well drinks and a beer. Although the beer was a 12 oz can of Bud Light, and when the ship was not in Texas they served the 16 oz aluminum bottles. If I remember correctly the only beers the waiter offered when I asked what they had were Bud light, Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, XX, and Becks, even though they had others on the ship.

Before hitting international waters, they had the local products in good supply: Ste. Genevieve TX wines by the bottle were selling hand over fist, while I bought two buckets of Saint Arnold (Houston craft brewery) and introduced my CC cruise friends to their Lawnmower Ale and the seasonal Crunkin' Pumpkin.

In my dreams.

Why the local breweries and wineries aren't getting their wares onto the CB mystifies me. They would benefit from the period the ship is in the TABC Zone, and the ship would have more to offer during that limbo time. :confused:

I asked questions during the Ship Tour and the beverage ordering is done two months in advance. IOW there's still time for some of the 2014 cruises. I don't think they have thought it through all the way yet. Remember the Alaska ships have local brews.

We went to Vines a lot and bought 3-4 bottles of WA State wine over 2 cruises in there.

I didn't buy beer on board but definitely would purchase Saint Arnold with meals. Man, to have a cold Lawnmower after a port day... :)

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Edited by sminfiddle

On the first night in the Crown Grill, we were still at the dock. There was no wine list available…only sold by the glass, and it was a single choice of a cab or a chardonnay. That's it...

The red and white wine being served was from Robert Mondavi.

A single brand for each of the "hard liquors", all of which I had never seen before. No brand served normally by Princess.

Also, I do not believe there was any liqueurs other than a triple sec for margaritas.

Oh, and FYI for future cruisers from Texas: They are going to starting taxing psgrs for incoming duty-free cigarettes and alcohol. They are just trying to kill tourism. Unbelievable. http://www.tribtown.com/view/story/a22d7060372f4013958a2fc1fec06da0/TX--Texas-Seaports-Taxes

Every time I see someone post this I wonder why this is such an issue. So Texas has a sin tax and they are going to impose it on items brought in or through the state. One it is not an outrageous amount and few people really declare the true amount they are bringing back. I know Texas is the first to do it but I doubt it will kill tourism as it has little effect on people bringing anything back when walking across the boarder. Items are still cheaper with the tax than they are in most states. These same taxes are figured into the items sold in Texas prior to state sales tax.

When I was on the thanksgiving cruise I don't remember exactly what all they served but it seemed to be the same items served out of Galveston.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 4

Every time I see someone post this I wonder why this is such an issue. So Texas has a sin tax and they are going to impose it on items brought in or through the state. One it is not an outrageous amount and few people really declare the true amount they are bringing back. I know Texas is the first to do it but I doubt it will kill tourism as it has little effect on people bringing anything back when walking across the boarder. Items are still cheaper with the tax than they are in most states. These same taxes are figured into the items sold in Texas prior to state sales tax.

When I was on the thanksgiving cruise I don't remember exactly what all they served but it seemed to be the same items served out of Galveston.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 4

Since this article was written only yesterday, and this tax is being implemented starting next month in Galveston (according to the article), I was not aware people were posting about this already. I was just relaying something I noted this afternoon. Yes, saying it will kill tourism was somewhat hyperbole, but it does highlight how the state of TX is being a bit ridiculous. You have a good point about the border issue; that didn't occur to me.

But I'm from the South so screwed up liquor laws and political shenanigans aren't really shocking to me. :rolleyes:

Texas is not the only place that imposes taxes on stuff sold onboard. You will find the same thing while in Florida ports (they add sales tax) and its also a practice followed in Spain. I am sure there are other EU countries also following the practice although we have only personally experienced the tax in Spain. It is not a big deal, If you really want a drink just pay the sin tax (it will be added to your bill) or wait until the ship is out to sea.

Hank

I was on the 12/7 sailing and there are signs posted at each bar saying which ones are actually open in Texas waters. My normal sailaway drink is a Beverly Hills Iced Tea, but because it is made with top-shelf liquors, I had to settle for a "Texas Tea". It was okay...

Theoretically Texas residents can't even bring in any alcohol or cigarettes without paying taxes even if disembarking in other states such as in Port Everglades. However, the US Customs folk rarely (if ever) enforce this Texas law.

So this tax is not something new, just something that is being enforced better.

By the way, the Texas excise tax on wine with more than 14% ABV is 40.8 cents a gallon, not likely to really damage the pocketbook. It is only 20.4 cents a gallon if less than 14% ABV. The administrative fee for collecting it is $3.00.

From http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/personal_importation.asp

Are Alcoholic beverages for personal consumption subject to tax?

Yes. All alcoholic beverages imported into our state are subject to the state liquor tax and a $3.00 administrative fee collected by Taxpayer Compliance Officers of the TABC. Payment of the fee and taxes is documented by a tax stamp placed on the bottles by our employees. Please note that failure to pay the tax and obtain the appropriate stamp will subject violators to a fine ranging from $100 to $1,000 and/or a jail term of up to one year.

Our Ports of Entry employees are also responsible for making sure that the laws relating to importation of cigarettes are observed. A tax of $1.50 is due on each pack of cigarettes. The collection of this tax is done by placing a cigarette tax stamp on each pack.

Edited by caribill

Texas is not the only place that imposes taxes on stuff sold onboard. You will find the same thing while in Florida ports (they add sales tax) and its also a practice followed in Spain. I am sure there are other EU countries also following the practice although we have only personally experienced the tax in Spain. It is not a big deal, If you really want a drink just pay the sin tax (it will be added to your bill) or wait until the ship is out to sea.

Hank

This is not a tax like in FL and Spain on stuff sold onboard.

It is a tax on alcoholic beverages and cigarettes brought into Texas no matter where purchased.

Although never enforced this way, it would apply to a bottle of wine or a pack of cigarettes brought into Texas from Louisiana.

Actually, it also applies to the same products if you have them when you fly into the state from another state (but never enforced).

Singapore has a similar tax on liquor and wine and cigarettes. If disembarking in Singapore after a stop in Malaysia, you must pay a tax on liquor and wine before passing through customs, even if going directly to the airport from the cruise terminal and the liquor or wine was not purchased in Malaysia. I had to pay a Singapore tax of $8.53US on a bottle of wine purchased in Madeira, Portugal that cost $8.58US

Edited by caribill