Tasteless desserts on the buffet

missouri mike

Cheesecake in all of its many forms on Carnival not worthy of the name.

So true. Carnival's cheesecakes - even the steakhouse - are wretched. I am spoiled, though, because my DH bakes the best homemade cheesecakes in the world. Thankfully he usually only makes them for special occasions and around this time of year for gifts or I'd be in trouble! :)

So true. Carnival's cheesecakes - even the steakhouse - are wretched. I am spoiled, though, because my DH bakes the best homemade cheesecakes in the world. Thankfully he usually only makes them for special occasions and around this time of year for gifts or I'd be in trouble! :)

With cream cheese????

I think they use "filler" such as plain gelatin to make all of the buffet desserts. Most are awful and you learn to bypass them. I think they want you to go to the espresso bar and BUY a dessert, or of course, a flavored boatdrink. I recommend a Some-mores Martini at Alchemy Bar!

This is the ONLY thing on all my cruises that I have even remotely found to "complain" about. I stick to the fruit desserts ONLY which are the best and usually taste good and the cookies and ice-cream are always good but the beautiful cakes are completely a waist of colories as they taste like NOTHING!!! :rolleyes:

I've enjoyed the views expressed on this thread. I'm not partial to sweets and have left the MDR many times before dessert is served.

On my last 2 cruise I decided to try some of the really beautiful pasteries and others desserts on the Lido taking just a small piece to see what I was missing.

I actually really liked a few of the pastry type deserts and the tiramasu. Some I went back to get more! I didn't care for the pies at all. (The awful thing I was served in the MDR you could bounce a basketball off!)

Have to agree about the Steakhouse SuperDuperGigantic cheesecake. Horrible!

I was soooo disappointed in the chocolate buffet..everything I tried had no taste. What a letdown.

Will stick to my wcmc and icecream. I tried the chocolate chip cookies and each time they were hard as a rock and dry, which surprised me since everyone raves about them.

99% of the desserts do taste lousy.

Usually the apple cake, served at embarkation is very good. Ecpecially when it is still frozen, lol.

Except for fruit I've almost given up on desserts.

Though the chocolate cake from room service is extremely good.

Yeah, the apple cake is good.

There are a few others that are good too.

I like a thing that looks like a little piece of cake or a brownie that has a spoonful of a cream cheese like stuff and a piece of candied pear on top.

DH says it is their best dessert.

But many of the cakes look gorgeous and are bland.

I noticed depending on the pastry chef the desserts can be hit or miss. I'm hoping my next cruise they are hit! My waistline may thank me though if they are miss. :rolleyes:

They should hire some of the bakers from the good old diners on the east coast. Those folks can make some pies and cakes.

Golfadj and vacruizer....talk about small world!!! I'm in this area also!!!! Let me know if y'all ever want to meet! Mill Mt. Coffee in Daleville; next to Kroger is good or even Valley View Starbucks....

We live on other side of valley near Tanglewood

We live on other side of valley near Tanglewood

Same here but work out near the north side of the airport so any old location would be good for me. :) Lots of SW VA cruisers around here!!!

We should start a thread over on the cruiser group chat area (don't want to keep hijacking this thread) and would love to all get together.

Has anybody else noticed this? They look great, but, are tasteless. Am I grabbing the wrong desserts from the buffet? Is this just a European (or somewhere else) thing? Maybe I eat way too many Milky Ways...lol.

Funny thing about the buffet. I tend to choose food first, and end up filling up so there's no room for dessert. Therefore, I've never tried it up there. But yes, it sure looks good!

Same here but work out near the north side of the airport so any old location would be good for me. :) Lots of SW VA cruisers around here!!!

We should start a thread over on the cruiser group chat area (don't want to keep hijacking this thread) and would love to all get together.

Good idea but dont see that their is such a place. If you can find it can you invite the two of us to a group?

What "you people" should experience is the crepe station on NCL ships. They will make you a crepe with your choice of fillings and toppings. They make making a fresh crepe look easy while you watch.

I loved the crepes on NCL but hated their ice cream.