Onboard credit

Hoveto

I booked the 2014 Christmas cruise on Queen Elizabeth on the 11th November (four weeks' ago) and was given a $120 per person on board credit. As from yesterday the on board credit is over $400 per person as long as you book before 28th February 2014. I rang Cunard to ask if we would be receiving the increased OBC and was told no. So once again, by booking early at the full rate we are now going to be over $700 worse off. I am happy with the fare but thought that Cunard would do the right thing and increase our OBC accordingly. What do you think?

I booked the 2014 Christmas cruise on Queen Elizabeth on the 11th November (four weeks' ago) and was given a $120 per person on board credit. As from yesterday the on board credit is over $400 per person as long as you book before 28th February 2014. I rang Cunard to ask if we would be receiving the increased OBC and was told no. So once again, by booking early at the full rate we are now going to be over $700 worse off. I am happy with the fare but thought that Cunard would do the right thing and increase our OBC accordingly. What do you think?

I think that you should have waited to book unless you were content with the deal offered. If you'd been offered $400 obc and it was now reduced to $120 would you be calling to ask who you should send the cheque to? I don't think so! It's swings and roundabouts I am afraid. Once I book a trip, I never concern myself with what happens to the fare subsequently.

It seems they are giving the additional OBC, albeit for a short period, for bookings made landside to match the additional OBC given for bookings made onboard. I bet the £350 per cabin deposit, whatever the total cost of the voyage, when booking onboard is not matched.

It seems they are giving the additional OBC, albeit for a short period, for bookings made landside to match the additional OBC given for bookings made onboard. I bet the £350 per cabin deposit, whatever the total cost of the voyage, when booking onboard is not matched.

Correct, the deposit for the "The Cunard Fare" and "Early Saver" is currently15% at the time of booking. The lower deposit is not matched.

M-AR

I booked my cruise perfectly aware that there could be fare reductions closer to sailing i.e. Gateway or whatever they want to call them fares. What I didn't expect was for Cunard to increase the OBC and then not apply the increase to existing bookings. What that does is increase the value of the cruise without increasing the basic fare thereby avoiding Cunard having to honour any fare increase commitment. They increased the deposit from 10% to 15%, a fifty per cent increase, and hold the money for a year. This is not a sensible way to do business, alienating loyal customers. Although I have cruised over 50 times malignly with Cunard and P&O, I have cruised five times with another company who always ensures that the early booker never loses out. Years ago the early booker always got the best deal unless you registered for a stand by/take a chance cruise.

I booked the Christmas 2014 Queen Elizabeth cruise on the 21 December actually on board the QE, and while the fare has remained unchanged, the OBC, for a solo traveller, has increased from $420 to $ 470.

I also note that for my September 2014 Queen Victoria cruise, booked by me on the 16 December on the QE, the fare remains the same, but the solo traveller OBC has increased from $390 to $540.

It will be interesting to see what Cunard has to say when I contact them after the holidays.

I booked the Christmas 2014 Queen Elizabeth cruise on the 21 December actually on board the QE, and while the fare has remained unchanged, the OBC, for a solo traveller, has increased from $420 to $ 470.

I also note that for my September 2014 Queen Victoria cruise, booked by me on the 16 December on the QE, the fare remains the same, but the solo traveller OBC has increased from $390 to $540.

It will be interesting to see what Cunard has to say when I contact them after the holidays.

This is more farcical than I thought.

According to Cunard's on-line booking system, for the September 2014 Queen Victoria Cruise, the OBC for a solo traveller is stated to be $540.

For two passengers in the same category stateroom, each will receive an OBC of $540.

Yet Cunard's website states:

" Those travelling in a twin stateroom and paying a single supplement will receive double the 'per person' on board spending money offer."

Cunard's response to my call will be most interesting.

I booked two cruises ,both a year in advance and got $240 for both my husband and myself..today we would get $940...what happened to the promise that booking early got you the best deal?...As much as I love Cunard I don't like the feeling of being duped.Competitors like Celebrity treat their passengers fairly ...I will be giving them my business in future :(:(

I booked two cruises ,both a year in advance and got $240 for both my husband and myself..today we would get $940...what happened to the promise that booking early got you the best deal?...As much as I love Cunard I don't like the feeling of being duped.Competitors like Celebrity treat their passengers fairly ...I will be giving them my business in future :(:(

I don't believe that Cunard ever specifically made that promise, they said that they would offer upgrades or increased obc to people who had booked under their "price promise" deal provided that the lesser/better priced deal was made under the same terms and conditions as the original and that it was before the final payment date. The inference was there to be drawn that everyone would benefit even though it seemed crystal clear to many that this wasn't going to be the outcome, as in fact has turned out to be the case. You are correct when you say that Celebrity will price match and I also wish that Cunard did as well, but they don't.

Have either you, or your TA, contacted Cunard to enquire if they will give you the additional on-board spend?

I am waiting for Cunard to ring me back

Having contacted my TA about this new promotion, they were advised by Cunard that I would receive the increased on-board spend, but when I phoned Cunard with a follow on query I was advised that I was not one of the existing bookers considered by Cunard to be eligible to receive the increase.

I was unable to elicit from Cunard what the criteria for eligibility were.

So back to the TA, who contacted Cunard , who advised that I would receive the increase.

What I find strange is that, even though the on-board credit, and the on-board spend,are one and the same ,in order to receive the increased on-board spend one has to transfer one's existing booking onto the new promotion.

I don't understand why Cunard cannot just increase one's current OBC to the new amount.

I wonder if transferring an existing booking onto the current promotion might preclude one from eligibility for any future, better promotion that might arise.

I am in two minds whether to transfer to receive the increased on board spend, or wait to see what happens after the 28 February 2014.

Edited by English Voyager

I don't believe that Cunard ever specifically made that promise, they said that they would offer upgrades or increased obc to people who had booked under their "price promise" deal provided that the lesser/better priced deal was made under the same terms and conditions as the original and that it was before the final payment date. The inference was there to be drawn that everyone would benefit even though it seemed crystal clear to many that this wasn't going to be the outcome, as in fact has turned out to be the case. You are correct when you say that Celebrity will price match and I also wish that Cunard did as well, but they don't.

I'm also in this position (and also awaiting Cunard's response), but I do think Cunard made a specific promise in their brochure, which, in my opinion, they should be held to.

Specifically the wording used by Cunard in their brochure from which I booked is "Vantage fares have been created for flexibility, value and peace of mind, especially when booking ahead"...and...""Vantage fares also provide the peace of mind that you won't miss out on value by booking early" There are also several references to the on board credit being included in the Vantage fare (and by extension therefore also included in the Vantage fare price promise).

If, by booking early, a customer misses out on OBC worth over $900 (as is our case), that is clearly missing out on value, which Cunard have specifically promised in their wording would not happen. No doubt they will spin on the head of a pin to argue the opposite, but if they didn't want to promise that early bookers such as ourselves could book confident that we wouldn't lose value, Cunard shouldn't have used those words.

abo - You have quoted parts of Cunard's marketing talk which I, being a cynic in my old age, never for one minute believed. If you booked a Vantage fare you would only be eligible for whatever compensation Cunard chose to give if the later fare was also a Vantage fare. How easy it is for Cunard to introduce fares with new names at the drop of a hat. If you get a good deal out of them - well done. They now seem to have "early saver" and "saver" fares. We have a sector of QM2 world cruise booked and I have no idea what sort of a fare we have. Nowhere in our paperwork is the type of fare stated. My head hurts - I need a lie down.

abo - You have quoted parts of Cunard's marketing talk which I, being a cynic in my old age, never for one minute believed. If you booked a Vantage fare you would only be eligible for whatever compensation Cunard chose to give if the later fare was also a Vantage fare. How easy it is for Cunard to introduce fares with new names at the drop of a hat. If you get a good deal out of them - well done. They now seem to have "early saver" and "saver" fares. We have a sector of QM2 world cruise booked and I have no idea what sort of a fare we have. Nowhere in our paperwork is the type of fare stated. My head hurts - I need a lie down.

I was interested in an August Queen Victoria cruise which included a $470pp on-board credit. At an exchange rate of £1 = $1.5, the on board spend allowance would be ca £300pp.The difference between the Cunard Fare and the Early Saver Fare for the cruise was £300pp making the costs comparable, and the Cunard Fare with the benefits relating to stateroom selection, dining preference and free shuttle buses the better option. However if low drinks consumption and a lack of interest in spa treatments, alternative dining, organised tours and expensive shops are the norm for a passenger, then the inclusion of on-board credit in effect will require passengers to spend on items/services they would not normally want.

By introducing different benefits for Cunard Fare relative to Early Saver Fare, (which cost the company very little), Cunard are effectively advertising a class structure which has been a reason given by many potential passengers for avoiding booking with Cunard. It may be clever marketing to encourage early booking and maximise higher fare bookings, but it may also rebound with previously loyal Cunard (Guarantee Fare ) passengers decamping to cruise lines with more transparent (and possibly lower) fares? Add in the disincentive for some which the withdrawal of balcony smoking will be a factor, and it will be interesting to see if the new marketing policies will be a recipe for success.

Do not allow anyone to tell you this is just marketing talk. The words are Cunard's from their brochure and without doubt form part of the contract. It is true that Vantage fares have now been scrapped, but they price promise has been transferred to the new Cunard fare (Cunard have also stated this in writing). Whilst I fully understand people' scepticism on this, I can't understand why anyone would be willing to let the best part of $1000 value be written off as marketing talk - it's their wording, their contract they need to honour it.

Do not allow anyone to tell you this is just marketing talk. The words are Cunard's from their brochure and without doubt form part of the contract. It is true that Vantage fares have now been scrapped, but they price promise has been transferred to the new Cunard fare (Cunard have also stated this in writing). Whilst I fully understand people' scepticism on this, I can't understand why anyone would be willing to let the best part of $1000 value be written off as marketing talk - it's their wording, their contract they need to honour it.

Doubtless if what you say is true and you seek legal advice on the matter, you will succeed.

Well, I take back any of my comments regarding scepticism and Cunard spinning on the head of a needle to avoid their promise.

I now have an email from Cunard confirming my On Board spend amount has increased from $160 to $1,110.

To those who have a similar situation, I can only urge you to call Cunard and ask for the value to be matched.

Well, I take back any of my comments regarding scepticism and Cunard spinning on the head of a needle to avoid their promise.

I now have an email from Cunard confirming my On Board spend amount has increased from $160 to $1,110.

To those who have a similar situation, I can only urge you to call Cunard and ask for the value to be matched.

We have just called Cunard and have been advised that they are unable to do anything! Any advice on where we can go from here?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Without wishing to cast aspersions as to the effectiveness of the marketing ploys used by Cunard: I have always found that you get what you pay for and if something appears too good to be true, it invariably is.

"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."

Warren Buffet.

We have just called Cunard and have been advised that they are unable to do anything! Any advice on where we can go from here?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did originally book direct with Cunard - not sure if this is relevant but if you booked through a TA you probably need them to take it up with Cunard.

I did no more than phone Cunard, make it clear that I booked Vantage and give my booking number. I then stated that my original booking has $160 on board spend and I now see that this value has been increased to over $1000 (in my case) and I'd like them to make sure I didn't lose value by being an early booker.

I was told they'd look into it and get back to me, and to be honest I this point I expected them to come back and give me all the reasons why this wouldn't apply in my case. But to be fair to Cunard, there was no argument, no dispute and no need for quoting contracts, guarantees, etc. Cunard did the right thing as far as my case was concerned and all credit to them for that.

Might be luck of the draw in terms of who you talk to initially, so perhaps worth calling back and having another go; at the very least if I were in your position I would insist on a specific reason as to why they are not able to offer the same deal to you.