We have no clue what to do in Freeport or Nassau

gritsnc

We are sailing in 10 days on the Fantasy. Our initial plan was to go to Paradise Cove in Freeport to snorkle. Honestly though, I think the water will be too cold for us. Our travel agent told us to go to Grand Lucaya because they have a hot tub there. The reviews are up and down on that though.

Any suggestions? We would like a place with a nice beach, possible hot tub, food within walking distance, maybe some shops within walking distance and nothing too expensive.

As for Nassau, we have no clue what to do besides the walking tour and I think I'm the only one in my party interested in doing that. :rolleyes:

We are a party of 6 females. My mom (mid 60's), my sister (40's), me (30's), my 19 year old niece and my two teenagers (14 and 15).

We are sailing in 10 days on the Fantasy. Our initial plan was to go to Paradise Cove in Freeport to snorkle. Honestly though, I think the water will be too cold for us. Our travel agent told us to go to Grand Lucaya because they have a hot tub there. The reviews are up and down on that though.

Any suggestions? We would like a place with a nice beach, possible hot tub, food within walking distance, maybe some shops within walking distance and nothing too expensive.

As for Nassau, we have no clue what to do besides the walking tour and I think I'm the only one in my party interested in doing that. :rolleyes:

We are a party of 6 females. My mom (mid 60's), my sister (40's), me (30's), my 19 year old niece and my two teenagers (14 and 15).

Go to port of call pages for more info. Beaches might very well be fine for swimming.

We loved GL resort but don't do it through the cruise line if you take a cab $10 pp round trip and $15 pp to get in the market is across the road it was the best day of the cruise for us

The market is across the road from Grand Lucaya?

Do we just catch a taxi right were we get off the ship at?

The Hilton in Nassau has a day pass -- $65 each is the walk-up rate, but it includes about $40 in food/drink credits. Nice beach, pool, etc. You can save a few bucks if you book in advance -- info can be found on the Bahamas page. Good luck! :)

My husband and I enjoyed the bike ride and lunch tour in Freeport. Our guide wss very knowledgeable, made sure to go at a pace that everyone in the group was able to do and they carried plenty of bottled water for everyone. Lunch was at a beautiful place called Garden of The Groves and was very tasty. We would definitely do it again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

In Nassua,,, research Blue Lagoon Island.

This was my very first excursion on my very first cruise.

I always had this picture in my mind of what a Caribbean island was supposed to be all about. Palms trees, hammocks, blue turquoise water, a little reggea music in the background, children laughing.

Most things in life, reality never measures up to expectations,,,, this place was that one exception.

This is also the place where they do the Dolphin swim excursions and the Stingray encounter. You can do these things, or not do them, your choice.

Last year at this time we were on a cruise in Nassau. Luckily, the weather was decently warm. We went to the Breeze's resort in Nassau - $65 per person all you can eat and drink for a day pass. Beach, pool, and if memory serves me correct hot tub...Its a little older of a place, but still good and we enjoyed the beach and drinks for sure.

Cab ride wasn't too much getting there $15 or $20 total? And you can take the Jitney back for just a couple of bucks (stop is right outside Breeze's). Enjoy whatever you do.

In Nassua,,, research Blue Lagoon Island.

This was my very first excursion on my very first cruise.

I always had this picture in my mind of what a Caribbean island was supposed to be all about. Palms trees, hammocks, blue turquoise water, a little reggea music in the background, children laughing.

Most things in life, reality never measures up to expectations,,,, this place was that one exception.

Now THAT sounds like it's right up our alley! Thank you! Going to search rightnow. Did you book through the cruise or can I do it for cheaper on my own?

I would also say Blue Lagoon. Also our first excursion on our first cruise. We booked through the ship, because it was our first and because we did not have long in this port. We all did the Sea Lion excursion that included lunch. Loved it very much. (very cold water-take the wet suit offered, if you do this) There is a little place to shop, a place to eat and for a small fee some inflatable toys to play on. Our tour guide (Winston) on the ferry back was very sweet and pointed out all the celebrity homes. (stand up at the front of the ferry to enjoy the view and listen to this)

Just got back from Paradise Cove in Freeport. It is a little bit run down but nice for relaxing. It is in the middle of no where. No shopping and anything else within walking distance that we could see.

Water was warm enough for us to snorkel for about 1 1/4 hours. There was not any hot tubs or pools that we saw.

The snorkeling was good.

I don't shop so like someone else stated, if I didn't want to go to a beach I would stay on the boat.

Edited by goofytoo

Nassau is where Junkanoo beach is, right? I'm thinking of just doing the walking tour and then heading to Junkanoo beach. IF we choose to go to Blue Lagoon, does that need to be booked and paid for BEFORE we cruise or is that something we can decide to do when we get there? If the weather isn't warm, we really aren't going to want to pay just to lay on the beach (no matter how nice it is) since there are free beaches.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. As of now, it looks like the weather isn't going to be very warm...highs in the low 70's (It's still 8 days away, so that could change). There is no way I will be in the water even if it's in the upper 70's. We just got back from Florida and I couldn't even get out of my capris and t-shirt on the beach when it was 83 degrees out. The others in my party agree that they won't be swimming if it's only in the 70's.

What we've decided on so far is to do the Walking Tour in Nassau, do some shopping, eat lunch at one of the local places and then maybe checking out Cabbage Beach or Junkanoo Beach just to relax in the sand.

As for Freeport, we still don't know. If it's in the 80's when we arrive, then we will probably go to Grand Lucaya. Other than that, we will just decide on something when we get there. :)

Also in Nassau we arrived at Port late and missed the snorkel trip we had booked so we went to the Hilton $60 pp for the day and use of all the pools kayaks we even snorkeled at the beach. The $60pp includes a $40 pp credit for drinks and food. So it's really $20pp the food was good and drinks where great as soon as we arrived the waiter provided us with towels and told us he was our slave for the day we ask for it he brings it. Everyone was great.

We are looking for a private tour to show us the scenery and the lifestyle of Nassau. We want to make sure that we get a legate person though. Any suggestions?

Have you looked at the Walking Tour that you can do on your own?

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/251_walkingtour:historicnassau.jpg

http://zydecocruiser.net/nassau_walking_apr_2006.htm

This year, late September, we went to the Grand Lucayan, paid $15.00 per person, and pretty much had the place to ourselves. since it was morning, the people staying at the hotel weren't out and about yet. The beach was spotless, we could use the chairs, umbrellas, the pool was amazing. It is an infinity pool. We never got aroung to the hot tub, as we spent all of our time on the beach or in the pool. then we walked back over to the shops at the market place. the taxis we very easy to use. We've used them 3 times now. So for $25 a person($10 for the taxi), we had a great couple of hours. will do this again if we go back.