iPhone and International Charges

MrBanana1240

I just got an iPhone, and boy, it has a great camera :eek:

I'm going to take it on Freedom, just to announce to someone at hoe that i'm safely onboard, the taxi was small, the music is loud and the lido is packed :p, then turn it off and put it in the drawer. I know I can use it Key West, but I want to use it to take pictures on the ship and in Grand Cayman and Jamaica.

For you iPhone users: Is there a setting I can set I to so it doesn't look for service and charge me so can take pictures? I know of airplane mode, but I'm just curious.

Any past stories of getting charged for keeping your phone on?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide and happy cruising!

Yes, turn on Airplane Mode after Sailaway, and leave it on until you return to your home port. If you still want to use the Wifi on the ship or in a port, you can leave Airplane Mode on, and then go to settings and turn Wifi on as well -- Airplane Mode ON + Wifi ON is a pretty safe bet.

You should also set Data Roaming to off. That was helpful for me recently. I had my phone turned on because I purchased a cruise ship plan from AT&T which was nice, but unfortunately, it was only good on Royal Caribbean Brand cruise ships :(. Otherwise, I would have turned everything to Airplane mode like previous cruises on Carnival. The cruise ship package was $30.00 for 50 minutes of voice.

While data roaming was off, I got no data and it never turned on until i got bombarded in San Juan with text messages when it finally connected to AT&T again.

My fiance's phone got turned on when we tried to charge her phone the night before. She got charged 30 bucks for the short 2 minutes it was on until we turned it off again.

This is what we do--

We turn off Cellular Data & Data Roaming (Settings-General-Cellular)

We also turn off Wifi (Settings-General-Wifi)

The phone is put into airplane mode then powered off.

--Onshore Wifi will work in Airplane Mode.