Glory vs Splendor; different eastern itineraries. Help!

athebay

Planning a cruise for next Jan. Help me choose between these 2 cruises.

Splendor- Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas ; Grand Turk ; San Juan, Puerto Rico ; St. Thomas, USVI

Glory- St. Maarten, NA ; San Juan, Puerto Rico ; Grand Turk

My first and only cruise was a western on the Glory a couple years ago. I really like the size/layout of the ship. It was before the 2.0 upgrades. I was hoping to find what we wanted on a different Conquest class ship, you know, same but different. I know nothing about the Splendor. Which do you prefer and why? I'm not against going on the same ship again, it's just... nice to experience something different :)

I'm torn on the itinerary too! Heard Half Moon Cay is awesome. On our western (Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan and Grand Cayman) we enjoyed the Mexico stops most, and GC the least, by far. Beautiful, but too americanized/expensive/"expected" for us. For the record I would still go back and be good with it, it's not like we hated it or anything! For that reason St. Thomas isn't super appealing. I know nothing about St. Maarten or Grand Turk. Really looking forward to San Juan, but I get that on either :D

Any input? Or fav things you did at these ports? Pros and cons of the ships?

It's just my husband and I, early 30's. We like to party occasionally, like to relax occasionally, like to find adventure always. We're easy to please :) You guys were SO helpful when I was planning my first cruise, I can't wait to browse these boards daily again!

Planning a cruise for next Jan. Help me choose between these 2 cruises.

Splendor- Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas ; Grand Turk ; San Juan, Puerto Rico ; St. Thomas, USVI

Glory- St. Maarten, NA ; San Juan, Puerto Rico ; Grand Turk

My first and only cruise was a western on the Glory a couple years ago. I really like the size/layout of the ship. It was before the 2.0 upgrades. I was hoping to find what we wanted on a different Conquest class ship, you know, same but different. I know nothing about the Splendor. Which do you prefer and why? I'm not against going on the same ship again, it's just... nice to experience something different :)

I'm torn on the itinerary too! Heard Half Moon Cay is awesome. On our western (Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan and Grand Cayman) we enjoyed the Mexico stops most, and GC the least, by far. Beautiful, but too americanized/expensive/"expected" for us. For the record I would still go back and be good with it, it's not like we hated it or anything! For that reason St. Thomas isn't super appealing. I know nothing about St. Maarten or Grand Turk. Really looking forward to San Juan, but I get that on either :D

Any input? Or fav things you did at these ports? Pros and cons of the ships?

It's just my husband and I, early 30's. We like to party occasionally, like to relax occasionally, like to find adventure always. We're easy to please :) You guys were SO helpful when I was planning my first cruise, I can't wait to browse these boards daily again!

Tough pick but I prefer St Maarten over St Thomas any day of the week. I'd pick based just on that island.

That's tough, I'd go on Glory because of the 2.0 upgrades.

Both have great ports, though Splendor has a slight edge with more as well as HMC.

If you were really happy with the size and layout of Glory, Splendor may disappoint.

Either way, it'll be a great cruise.

Edited by Lerin

I'd pick the first itinerary because we love exploring ports and would pick a port-intensive itinerary versus more sea days on any ship. I'm also a sucker for cruise lines' private islands, I love the relaxed atmosphere and convenience!

Both sets of ports sound fun and I'm sure you'll have a great time either way! :)

I think Splendor's itinerary is a great one! Even though St. Maarten is probably my favorite port. Glory's itinerary is good, but I don't like what they did with the ship with the 2.0 downgrades. I think with Splendor, the ship wins in a big way and the itinerary also wins.

OP, I've been on and enjoyed both ships it would come down to the ports. If you haven't been to HMC it is simply a must. As far as 2.0 upgrades go you get most of the same things on the Splendor anyway since she's a fairly new ship. Splendor has the taste bar (alchemy), Comedy Club (punchliner) and Sea Day Brunch. Spendor also has the mongolian wok, Tandoor & rotisserie that Glory does not.

Guy's burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina & red frog pubs are not on the Splendor but I didn't particularly miss them. The serenity deck on Splendor is the worst I've seen, Glory has a pretty good one.

I had Matt as CD on Glory and he was great, I had Malcolm on the Splendor and he was okay.

Just some info that might help you along....

Enjoy your cruise!!;)

I just realized I made a big mistake in my OP, I switched the itineraries! :eek: Glory is the 4 port sailing with HMC, Splendor is the one that includes St. Maarten. Oops.

Thank you all for the input at any rate- I am still so torn, you all make good arguments! I think this may come down to flipping a coin...

Ok, I'm bored, I took it a step further and looked at the times you are in port.

I would definitely go with the Glory because:

4 ports instead of 3 and would prefer the port times on the Glory over the Splendor. Also, you'll be in San Juan in the afternoon into the evening, OSJ is beautiful at night and sailaway past the Forts is spectacular!

Glory:

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Cruiseline Private Island) 9:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

Grand Turk Island 11:00 a.m. 5:30 p.m.

San Juan, Puerto Rico 1:00 p.m. 10:00 p.m.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. 7:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

Splendor:

Philipsburg, St. Maarten 9:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00 a.m. 3:30 p.m.

Grand Turk Island 11:00 a.m. 5:30 p.m.

Tough one. I've been on Glory twice (both pre 2.0) and just off Conquest last month.

I love HMC. Love it!

But I also love old San Juan.

Had my first visit to St Martin on the Conquest cruise and, honestly, wasn't that impressed. Too crowded (and there were "only" three ships in port that day) and too commercial for my tastes.

So, I think I'd go with Glory, although a partial day in San Juan isn't nearly enough!

Oh, and Splendor doesn't have those big, round loungers up in the bow like on Glory. :D

Edited by NCTribeFan

The Splendor is getting the Dr Seus stuff, Seuss at Sea:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/12/11/dr-suess-carnival-cruise/3990399/

The roll out of the Seuss at Sea program will begin in February aboard Carnival Splendor and expand to 10 ships by the end of the year. It'll be fleetwide by the middle of 2015.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/12/11/dr-suess-carnival-cruise/3990399/

The roll out of the Seuss at Sea program will begin in February aboard Carnival Splendor and expand to 10 ships by the end of the year. It'll be fleetwide by the middle of 2015.

Oh thank god we'e on Splendor in January.

Edited by 4merlurker

Sorry not a Suess fan