HELP!!!boarding carnival with a temp drivers license

jamona2311

Hi everyone!

Only 16 more days till we sail and my DD19 said she hasnt renewed her drivers license ( shes been away at school with no car...)

Anyway, in Wisconsin they give you and offical piece of paper with picture until the permanent card comes in the mail. I know we accept it as an offical form of identification here at the bank where I work Im hoping carnival does too!

Has anyone had any expeirence with this??:eek::eek::confused:

I honestly don't know why you'd want to risk it. If Carnival checkin person doesn't accept it, then she can't cruise!

At least you've got time to take care of this.

Can she get an official state id card if she doesn't want to renew her DL now? We get ours at the Illinois DMV.

Does the hard "real" one come in the mail? Here (AL) you get a paper copy then receive the hard plastic one in the mail. If she hurried up she might get it back before you leave. :(

Call and ask, if they say yes, then at least you might could use that at check in.

Hi everyone!

Only 16 more days till we sail and my DD19 said she hasnt renewed her drivers license ( shes been away at school with no car...)

Anyway, in Wisconsin they give you and offical piece of paper with picture until the permanent card comes in the mail. I know we accept it as an offical form of identification here at the bank where I work Im hoping carnival does too!

Has anyone had any expeirence with this??:eek::eek::confused:

Yes. That's what one gets in GA until the official hard plastic one comes in the mail. Carnival took mine, no problem.

I read that. It's very unusual to let a license lapse when it's so often needed for identification or if she ever needed to drive for whatever reason.

Maybe not as unusual as you think, my son was the same way, as are a lot of his friends. We made him renew when he went looking for a job. Since it's a college town, most ride the bus (free w/college ID/walk or bike. Their college ID gets them in pretty much everywhere else they desire to go except bars and they are looking at the pic not the expiration date. Crazy.

Edited by keystonemama

My husband had this same issue in November when we cruised(failed the eye test so it took longer than we expected)Carnival reps said they would NOT accept the paper temp license. In the state of MA is says right on it not to be used for identification, your state maybe different.... We were able to go into Boston to get an expedited license ask about that in your state

Here in PA we are able to go directly to a DMV center and get a new photo license. Maybe possible where you live?

I would never risk it otherwise no matter what they tell you on the phone or via email. It all comes down to the agents at the port...and what if something happens while you are gone and you need to come home from a port? ...possibly SOL.

Sent from my iPad