is the NCL pre-book certificates a good deal?

LizG12

I've never used them with a TA, but the currency conversion is done when you buy it. For example, the last one I bought showed up as something like £160 or £165 against my latitudes account.

I believe you just give the details to your travel agent when you book.

Yes, FCR is always issued to the office/currency that the current cruise was booked in.

I confirmed that when we bought our first because we live in EU but always have booked through US office so I wanted to make sure that the FCR will be usable there. Also the different prices for each office using different currency are shown on the order form IIRC.

Regardless of the on-board accounting, it costs you $150 but it is worth $250 when you go to book another cruise. Unless you are cruising in a suite, the certificate is good for your full deposit - that's what I like best. Instead of having to come up with $500 (or wait for a half price deposit sale), I have the freedom of being able to watch for a good price on an itinerary I like (or in the case of my next cruise, a highly sought after cabin being available), and just book it.

Regardless of the on-board accounting, it costs you $150 but it is worth $250 when you go to book another cruise. Unless you are cruising in a suite, the certificate is good for your full deposit - that's what I like best.

FCRs are good for most suites. Only exceptions (straight from the T&C) are "Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas".

And there is the added advantage that if you do back to back cruises, even though for booking purposes it is one cruise, you can put $250 down, and use another $250 as part of your final payment, so you save an extra $100 by using two (or even three) on the same cruise.

Will they give me back my $250 certificate if I want to cancel my booking?

Yes, although there really is no need for an actual certificate. Your FCR is attached to your Latitudes number. If you cancel a booking, they simply re-credit your Latitudes account with the FCR, available for future use.

P.S. My answer assumes that you're cancelling before final payment is due. If it's after final payment, normal cancellation penalties apply.

Edited by johnql

Regardless of the on-board accounting, it costs you $150 but it is worth $250 when you go to book another cruise. Unless you are cruising in a suite, the certificate is good for your full deposit - that's what I like best. Instead of having to come up with $500 (or wait for a half price deposit sale), I have the freedom of being able to watch for a good price on an itinerary I like (or in the case of my next cruise, a highly sought after cabin being available), and just book it.

It's the same for a suite , just booked a suite for next November on the Gem, needed to deposit $500.00 and I used the FCC of $250.00 for deposit .

In my opinion that the advantage of the FCC not the fact you get $100.00obc.

Yes, although there really is no need for an actual certificate. Your FCR is attached to your Latitudes number. If you cancel a booking, they simply re-credit your Latitudes account with the FCR, available for future use.

P.S. My answer assumes that you're cancelling before final payment is due. If it's after final payment, normal cancellation penalties apply.

Thank you! :)

It's the same for a suite , just booked a suite for next November on the Gem, needed to deposit $500.00 and I used the FCC of $250.00 for deposit .

In my opinion that the advantage of the FCC not the fact you get $100.00obc.

Haven suites you need to put the full deposit down minus the $250 FCC. When I booked a Haven suite for 2 the deposit was $1500. I used my FCC plus I had to pay $1250.

Haven suites you need to put the full deposit down minus the $250 FCC. When I booked a Haven suite for 2 the deposit was $1500. I used my FCC plus I had to pay $1250.

I guess I got a break . We are booked for a aft penthouse suite .

BOOKING COMPONENTS PER GUEST IN USD

Totalx Guest 1 Guest 2

Guest Fare 3,898.00 1,949.00 1,949.00

Government Taxes/Fees 350.62 175.31 175.31

Prepaid Service Charge 216.00 108.00 108.00

Gross Total

Commission

Net Due

4,464.62 2,232.31 2,232.31

PAYMENTS AMOUNT (USD)

PAYMENT SCHEDULE

DEPOSIT due on 26-Jul-2013 11:59 pm Eastern Time 500.00

FINAL PAYMENT due on 22-Aug-2014 11:59 pm Eastern Time 3,964.62

PAYMENTS APPLIED

PAID by CRUISE REWARD 6 DAY PLUS Coupon for xxxx xxxx on 23-Jul-2013 250.00

TOTAL PAYMENTS APPLIED 250.00

Balance Due on 22-Aug-2014 11:59 pm Eastern Time 4,214.62

No, that's completely normal as stated in the snippet I pasted earlier from FCR T&C. Many suites on NCL fleet can be booked using only FCR as a deposit, suites in Haven are considered speciality suites and therefore can not.

BOOKING COMPONENTS PER GUEST IN USD

Totalx Guest 1 Guest 2

Guest Fare 3,898.00 1,949.00 1,949.00

Government Taxes/Fees 350.62 175.31 175.31

Prepaid Service Charge 216.00 108.00 108.00

Gross Total

Commission

Net Due

4,464.62 2,232.31 2,232.31

PAYMENTS AMOUNT (USD)

PAYMENT SCHEDULE

DEPOSIT due on 26-Jul-2013 11:59 pm Eastern Time 500.00

FINAL PAYMENT due on 22-Aug-2014 11:59 pm Eastern Time 3,964.62

PAYMENTS APPLIED

PAID by CRUISE REWARD 6 DAY PLUS Coupon for xxxx xxxx on 23-Jul-2013 250.00

TOTAL PAYMENTS APPLIED 250.00

Balance Due on 22-Aug-2014 11:59 pm Eastern Time 4,214.62

Since you are on the Gem and the suite is an SF, the FCR is all you need. You have no haven access. However the same Aft penthouse on the Breakaway has Haven access and is a S6 which requires a full deposit in addition to the FCR. If the suite is a letter-number combination (S6) your FCR deposit must be supplemented to achieve the total deposit due. If it is 2 letters (SF) the FCR is the only deposit required.

Edited by peg013