NCL Cruiser jumping ship to Enchantment

We've sailed 4 times NCL (Sun x 2, Dawn, Sky), and just booked our first RCCL cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Pt. Canaveral. We love leaving from Canaveral as it is an easy drive for us, and we like staying in the area the day before. Since NCL has left PC, we thought we'd try Royal. I have a couple questions for folks who have sailed both lines, especially the Enchantment...

One thing I like about NCL is eating lunch in the main dining room on sailaway day, instead of the buffet. Does the Enchantment do something similar?

I also really like Freestyle dining - we signed up for My Time Dining, but I'm not really sure how it works (I received an email telling me to make a reservation, any suggestions on that??). Also I read a thread where people doing My Time Dining were seated with other people (and had to wait for everyone to get there before ordering) - is that how it works?

I'm not a fan of formal night, and was wondering what people do for dinner instead of the MDR. We were thinking of eating in the specialty restaurant, Chops, that night - is that an option or is that formal dress, too?

I heard you can bring wine on for free if you are consuming it in your room?? How about soda or water?

Cabanas on the private island - on NCL I can book a cabana ahead of time - how does it work for Royal? BTW, I am staying in an inside - I think I read that suites have priority on booking cabanas?

Anyone who has sailed both and has any tips or suggestions, please feel free to share!!

Welcome to RCCL, if you don't wish to dine in the MDR, then you can go with MTD or eat when you wish. If you haven't already stated your dining preferance, call RCCL and ask to be placed with MTD ( My Time Dining). On RCL the main dining isn't open on the first day for lunch. If you wish to eat in one of the specialty restaurants then you should make a reservation. We have brought water onboard with no problem. Have an enjoyable cruise.

We've sailed 4 times NCL (Sun x 2, Dawn, Sky), and just booked our first RCCL cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Pt. Canaveral. We love leaving from Canaveral as it is an easy drive for us, and we like staying in the area the day before. Since NCL has left PC, we thought we'd try Royal. I have a couple questions for folks who have sailed both lines, especially the Enchantment...

One thing I like about NCL is eating lunch in the main dining room on sailaway day, instead of the buffet. Does the Enchantment do something similar?not usually

I also really like Freestyle dining - we signed up for My Time Dining, but I'm not really sure how it works (I received an email telling me to make a reservation, any suggestions on that??). Also I read a thread where people doing My Time Dining were seated with other people (and had to wait for everyone to get there before ordering) - is that how it works?

You can make a reservation for My Time Dining, but you do not have to. You can just show up but you may then face a short wait. If you do just show up they will ask you whether you are happy to share a table or prefer only your own party.

I'm not a fan of formal night, and was wondering what people do for dinner instead of the MDR. We were thinking of eating in the specialty restaurant, Chops, that night - is that an option or is that formal dress, too?

Chops is smart casual all the time, but you can choose to wear formal there on formal night. It's up to you. My DH usually wears khakis and a polo shirt or button down shirt for Chops.

I heard you can bring wine on for free if you are consuming it in your room?? How about soda or water?

2 bottles of wine per stateroom are allowed. If you take your wine to one of e restaurants there is a $25 corkage fee. People have reported sometimes that their wait has not charged the fee, but you should be prepared to pay it. I just ask my cabin steward for ice and wine glasses daily, then pour myself a glass to take to dinner or the show, or wherever I am going. Soda and water are technically not allowed but frequently reported as being brought onboard with a luggage tag attached and no problems. Anecdotally it appears spring break is the only time this rule is enforced.

Cabanas on the private island - on NCL I can book a cabana ahead of time - how does it work for Royal? BTW, I am staying in an inside - I think I read that suites have priority on booking cabanas?

Which private island are you going to? On Labadee you can book the Nellie's beach cabanas online ahead of time. The Barefoot beach cabanas are suite guests only. Sorry but I'm unsure how this works on Coco Cay.

Anyone who has sailed both and has any tips or suggestions, please feel free to share!!

I hope this helps :)

We are leaving Monday for our second Enchantment cruise. To read my review of our first -- with pics -- click on the link in my signature. .

The buffet is open for lunch. I don't believe the MDR is. You can also eat at Park Café located in the solarium (adult-only pool and Jacuzzi area). On our cruise, Park Café opened at noon. Lots of passengers (including me) love their freshly carved roast beef sandwiches and made-to-order salad bar.

I've never done My Time Dining so can't help you with that one.

Like the previous poster said, dress code in Chops is smart casual. My husband wears khakis, a button down shirt and a blazer. No suit, no tie. Try the forest mushroom truffle soup. It's delicious. Our waiter told us it's the captain's absolute favorite dish.

Cabanas on Coco Cay cannot be reserved ahead unless you're in a suite. Your best chance is to board very early and get on the list immediately. We had a cabana on our June trip. Pics are in the review.

We've always brought bottled water and soda on board and never had a problem. We packed it in our suitcases.

You can bring two bottles of wine per cabin. I'm not suggesting you do this but many folks have reported that they brought two per person in separate carry-on bags because security doesn't keep track of who is in which party. Again, I've never done this. Don't want to get flamed.

Couple other suggestions:

• Don't miss Quest. It's a game show for adults, and it's absolutely hilarious.
  • There are free cocktails at the Captain's Reception.
  • Pastries in the specialty coffee shop are free; specialty coffees are not.
  • The Viking Lounge is a great place to relax while you're waiting for your cabin to be ready. Kids are allowed because the bar isn't open.

That's all I can think of off hand. Have a WONDERFUL cruise!!

We are jumping cruise lines too, we have also sailed NCL. Love the freestyle of NCL... but we wanted a short cruise, and Have been on the NCL Sky already, that same ship has been going to the Bahamas for years. We wanted to try a new ship, and are looking forward to trying the Enchantment also

Edited by LittleBlue

We have done MTD many times. Best to make advance reservations when you THINK you might want dinner. You can always change them up. Just call from your room to the main dining. Of course the time you want may be unavailable at the last minute.

You can also show up whenever you want and they will seat you when a table is available and cancel your reservation. Just don't be a no-show although I believe they would accommodate you even if you missed your reservation.

I was on NCL Breakaway in June and they gave out pagers when we had to wait for a table. MTD is similar but without the pagers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ksawyercruiser - I read your review - it was terrific! Great pics. I like the screens that show you what's going on, and where it is...that's new to me! I've heard mention of the Park Cafe - is it sit-down? Buffet? Or something in-between (we have friends who are "loyal to Royal" and they have raved about the roast beef sandwiches). We booked a cabana on our NCL Sky cruise (their private island, Great Stirrup Cay is right next to Coco Cay), but we couldn't tender in due to the weather - I'm hoping to have better luck on Coco Cay!! I need beach day, lol. NCL does a Quest, and based on your brief description of your family's participation (brave man, your hubs, lol) it sounds pretty similar - and you're right, not to be missed!! NCL also does the same thing with the premium coffee - snacks are free, but espresso, etc, is not.

LittleBlue - we just got off the Sky (we sailed Thankgiving week), and the weather was not good...I'm trying not to let that color my experience, but I'm definitely looking forward to giving RCCL a shot for a short cruise - Enchantment looks like a cooler ship than the Sky, and it's about 4 hours of driving time closer - that's win-win!! I do like freestyle, though...hoping that My Time Dining works out.

eel - thanks - I didn't know how set in stone the dining times would be.

Desert Cruizers - thanks for the info! We booked last minute, so we didn't have a choice except the MTD (which I probably would've done anyway). We would make reservations for the specialty restaurants on NCL, so that's pretty much the same.

BekkaW - we're going to Coco Cay - looks pretty nice from what I can tell :) Thank you for all the other info!!

Park Café is like a little counter sandwich shop. We actually didn't eat there on the Enchantment but ate there every day on the Allure. Because we were on the Enchantment in June, the Solarium got very warm and steamy. So we stuck with the Windjammer for lunch.

We booked a beach day for Nassau this trip ... just in case we don't get to Coco Cay. It's a great deal. It's the British Colonial Hilton within walking distance of the pier. It's $60 per adult but you get $40 back in food and beverage credit. Kids are $30, get $15 in credit. We booked this ourselves. They also have a nice pool. I'll let you know how it is when I get back!

Soooo happy you enjoyed the review! Thanks for the feedback.

Ksawyer- interested in your day at BC Hilton. Sounds like a great deal. Going on Enchantment over Spring Break with 12,13,and 14 y/o's...something they'd enjoy?? I checked out their website, but don't see where I could book that. Any help is appreciated!