what currency for south pacific islands?

cuisson

We are leaving LA on 28 day Princess South Seas cruise. Is US currency used on all the islands? In Papeete, Princess does not offer excursion to Botanical gardens. What is the best way to do this on our own?

We are leaving LA on 28 day Princess South Seas cruise. Is US currency used on all the islands? In Papeete, Princess does not offer excursion to Botanical gardens. What is the best way to do this on our own?

We've just returned from SP islands, cruising on the Radiance. Our cruise left from Sydney and we had both US and AUS dollars with us. In Vanuatu, and the smaller islands ( Mystery, Lifou ) prices were quoted in Australian dollars, tho perhaps they have different signs for different ships depending on where they sail from ? I wouldn't bother getting local currency - you'll lose exchanging both ways, tho perhaps other US travellers might disagree depending on their experience. Prices were very cheap - $10 for sarongs, $5 for stubby holders, $3 for hair clips etc. Sorry can't help with Botanical Gardens question :( Enjoy your cruise !

Angela, Sydney Australia.

French Polynesia uses CFP Francs. I never tried to pay with dollars of any kind, so I can't help you there. They took credit cards in the stores.

The Botanical Garden is next to the Gauguin Museum. Maybe the ship offers an excursion there. We took a bus and the driver said he would do a return trip .... he never came back. We had to hitchhike back to Papeete.

As Floridiana has mentioned, the local currency in Tahiti and Noumea is Pacific Francs. You may find some retailers will accept $US but I wouldn't count on it. There are ATMs readily available in both places.

The islands closer to Australia and NZ such as Vanuatu and Fiji (but not Noumea) will accept AUD and probably NZD due to the large number of tourists who visit from ANZ. Once again there are ATMs available.

I find that in French Polynesia it saves hassles if you have local currency so I always just go to the ATM.

If the ship calls at Pago Pago you will be able to use USD there.

Enjoy your cruise

Most stores in French Polynesia will accept USD but might not give you the best exchange rate.

There are ATMS at the ferry terminal next to the ship docking in PPT and on Bora Bora you just walk to the street from the tender landing and walk 100 meters to you right, there is bank with ATM

Some small street vendors or roulette vendors won't accept USD in FP

Thank you for money exchange ideas. Sounds like heading to ATM as soon as you dock is the way to go for most islands.

So excited for this cruise. We cross International dateline on my 65th birthday. Any celebrations? In Pago Pago, Apia, Bora Bora, Moorea and Tahiti....any "must see/do suggestions...nothing Princess offers is too exciting.:)