Curacao???

cruzmom

Going on Carnival Breeze in February Southern Caribbean...one of our ports is Curacao and we are there from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m. and are really struggling with what to do before dark. Been told not to hang out there much after dark. We really want to get a car and hit a few beaches. Any suggestions??? Are there any car rentals right near the pier?

Going on Carnival Breeze in February Southern Caribbean...one of our ports is Curacao and we are there from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m. and are really struggling with what to do before dark. Been told not to hang out there much after dark. We really want to get a car and hit a few beaches. Any suggestions??? Are there any car rentals right near the pier?

I've spent a lot of time in Curacao while in the military and know most of the beaches and hangouts. Curacao is definitely not as commercialized as Aruba and has a slower pace, although tourism has increased quite a bit since my first visit in 2003.

A real shame that you arrive so late in the day to enjoy the beaches in Westpund. Instead, I would take a cab to either the Veneto Holiday Beach Hotel (5 minutes) or the Hilton (10 minutes), walk through their lobbies as if you own the place, and enjoy their beaches. The Holiday Beach Hotel has an enclosed beach with drinks and food available at a reasonable price (for Curacao). No problem getting back after dark in a cab. Afterwards, you can enjoy some of the local night life in the vicinity of the cruise port to include Soprano's Piano Bar.

Another option is to not got to the beach and either window shop at the Renaissance Hotel mall or cross the floating bridge and have a look around. If you go over the floating bridge I would be a little cautious and cross back before dark.

Enjoy the cruise and Curacao.

Z and TB

Currently going dark around 6.30 pm - time to Westpunt ( far end of island) 1 hr

So you should be able to get to a few beaches in the time before it gets dark and then head back in the dark - the roads West are very easy to navigate - some drivers won't have their headlights on for ages- but other than that no worries driving at night - I do it alone ( I'm female) and don't feel threatened at all

There are some beautiful beaches West way - many free - Daaibooi, Santa Cruz, Lagun, Knip and more - and all beautiful - most with great snorkelling

Stayed at the Hilton for a month - again nice beach and good snorkel area - food a bit pricey but worth it for the beach

Thanks for the comments!!!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED! Looks like we'll either consider doing a resort/beach day or perhaps rent a car at the port and take in a few of the beaches. Do you know of a car rental place at/very near the port? We have a group of 9 and a van might be more affordable than $25 per person cab fare.