HAL won't honor it's own sale prices!!!!!

Lulley766

Sorry, I forgot to answer all the questions. Yes, I have made final payment (groan....). HAL's suggestion was to cancel and re-book which would cost me even more! DUH!!!! I did advise HAL that I would ask American Express to do a hold-back of the difference to HAL on their next payment. AMEX will always stand behind their customers and has even compensated me when the merchant would not. HAL could learn from AMEX.

I hate to say it but...you can go to AMEX but there is nothing they can do. It would be like buying a sofa 6 months ago and the furniture store drops the price. Again AMEX is not going to touch it. The only one at fault here is your TA. I have dealt with the same TA for years and every time I have a cruise booked and one of these "offers" come along, by the time it is done I still have a better price. Guess your agent likes the higher commission. I would try a different TA the next time.

I wish I had this problem.

Except for one, every cruise I book either sells out or the price goes up.

One exception, a ten day s. Carib., did go down after final booking. HAL refused to extend the "new booking only" price reduction, but allowed me to change to an outside guarantee for $1,000 less than I was paying for a selected outside cabin. Go figure!

P.S. I ended up in a better location.

HAL has [or had] a price guarantee policy. If the price drops 10% or more, you are entitled to a price reduction. Whether or not this applies to promotions, I do not know.

lknick.....I had already started a thread about just that. I am interested in people's view if this applies.

rita - If you re-read my post, I pointed out that my TA has a special person at HAL she deals with on a regular basis - I have never had a problem getting HAL to drop the fare, even after final payment - something said for a good bricks and mortar TA, no doubt. :)

Personally, I think an internet TA working out of a large outlet has a better chance of negotiating than your average brick and mortar TA. Those internet TA's move tons of inventory. Often it is they who have the most leverage in this type of situation.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Personally, I think an internet TA working out of a large outlet has a better chance of negotiating than your average brick and mortar TA. Those internet TA's move tons of inventory. Often it is they who have the most leverage in this type of situation.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Except for AAA. Admittedly, not your "average" B&A agency, but tremendous clout and a seventeen percent commish. Also an agency in Seattle, which must remain nameless. I don't know their commission, but their clout w/HAL is also very impressive.

rita - If you re-read my post, I pointed out that my TA has a special person at HAL she deals with on a regular basis - I have never had a problem getting HAL to drop the fare, even after final payment - something said for a good bricks and mortar TA, no doubt. :)

Rita,

I totally agree with you when it comes to brick and motor TA's. My TA has always done a super job. When I got the email that the OP is referring to, I immediately went to the sale price that they were offering for our Oct. cruise on Zuiderdam and it still didn't come down to what we are paying. And we booked our cruise 6 months out.

Richard

Except for AAA. Admittedly, not your "average" B&A agency, but tremendous clout and a seventeen percent commish. Also an agency in Seattle, which must remain nameless. I don't know their commission, but their clout w/HAL is also very impressive.

Yes, I agree ... AAA is an exception ... a brick and mortar TA with a huge amount of clout with the cruise lines. They are probably the best of both worlds ... a storefront agency that the client can walk into (something a lot of the older folks demand), plus the benefits of being a high volume seller; hence better prices.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes, I agree ... AAA is an exception ... a brick and mortar TA with a huge amount of clout with the cruise lines. They are probably the best of both worlds ... a storefront agency that the client can walk into (something a lot of the older folks demand), plus the benefits of being a high volume seller; hence better prices.

Blue skies ...

--rita

AAA is often good for price and extra amenities, but don't expect much expertise from the TA. Not the TAs fault. AAA doesn't allow the TAs cruise time the way other travel/cruise agencies do. This means you'll often know a lot more about cruising than the TA. Not a problem unless you're a novice.

AAA is often good for price and extra amenities, but don't expect much expertise from the TA. Not the TAs fault. AAA doesn't allow the TAs cruise time the way other travel/cruise agencies do. This means you'll often know a lot more about cruising than the TA. Not a problem unless you're a novice.

Disagree completely!!! We live in Tampa,FL and the agent we use is with AAA and has over 130 cruises. She is great. When they do newspaper articles they go to her.

AAA agents who know what they are doing will check the pricing of your catagory of cabin every so often. If the price drops you get it.

Last year with Celebrity we booked on the Horizon 74 days befor cruising in a CC class. By the time we cruised the price had been reduced by another $200.00.

It goes back to what I mentioned earlier...the more the agent sells you your cruise for, the more they make. They do work on commission don't they.

As far as internet booking goes...if you have a problem you only have a computer or a faceless person at the other end of a telephone. I would rather pay a little more money(We are talking pennies) that if I have a problem I can look at that agent face to face to fix it.

Robi by the way has in the past booked 17 cruises for us. She is great!!!

Lulley766

I am constantly amazed how many members always rush to the defense of these cruise lines like they are some benevolent charity and not the huge profit makers they are. My experience with the other major lines is that they will offer some type of recompense when this situation happens. Typically, its in the form of an upgrade so that there is a general match between what you originally paid and the current price of the upgraded cabin. Good business sense dictates that they provide you with something even if its in the form of a shipboard credit. If you get no satisfaction, write a personal, polite letter directly to the President of the company and that might trigger some action. Happy sailing!

Lulley766

I am constantly amazed how many members always rush to the defense of these cruise lines like they are some benevolent charity and not the huge profit makers they are.

You what??

It's precisely because it is a business that they can't give everyone both the best cabin and the cheapest price!! Which is what I said.

I don't "defend" HAL any more than I do any other business, They aren't a benevolent charity (as you said), they do need to sustain a profit. Capicity control is one way to do that. Giving upgrades to everyone isn't.

Many thanks to all of you who have posted your thoughts. I would admit that I both agree and disagree with all of you to varying degrees. Having sailed many, many times on Carnival and Princess, (this point can be verified by HAL), and given it's a branch of it's own company, I believe that should make me a valued customer in their eyes. I understand that it is very likely that I won't get much out of HAL, but if we are having a "fire sale" on cabins, that means lots of cabins are available. If someone is as upset as I am why not offer an upgrade at a minimum? How about an on-board credit? Maybe a free excursion? There are many ways to keep a customer's good faith in this business. Is it worth losing 7 potential customers right off the bat? Remember these are the same people who tell you to book early to get the best prices. The flat-out "NO" is really what upset me more than the price. I think the complete lack of tact and lack of interest on their part has made me want to pursue this even more. Again, thanks to all for your thoughts. I will keep you posted on what HAL does or does not do. Cheers!

Well, nearly a week ago today I spoke with Guest Relations about this situation, and have not heard back from them since. This is speaking volumes to me about what HAL really thinks of its passengers. Will continue to keep you folks posted as to what happens if anyone ever calls me back.

This is something I've never understood about people. If I buy something, and then it goes on sale, I would never even ask about getting the sale price. It wasn't that price when I bought it. If businesses of any sort do that, they may as well just sell at a discounted price at all times...and consequently go out of business. I realize we're talking about a substantial amount of money, but I still feel it applies. Ah well, I guess it's just me.

Cath66

The difference in your analogy between a sale item and a cruise is this: When you buy something at retail price, you get to use that product immediately. In the case of a cruise, you are buying some use in the future when all purchasers start using the item at the same time. As an better example, lets say you go into a store and order some item, pay full price, but the store can't make delivery for 60 days. While waiting for your item to arrive, the store lowers the price by 25%. I'm sure any reputable store will reduce the price to you as well.

[quote name='doublebzz']Cath66

The difference in your analogy between a sale item and a cruise is this: When you buy something at retail price, you get to use that product immediately. In the case of a cruise, you are buying some use in the future when all purchasers start using the item at the same time. As an better example, lets say you go into a store and order some item, pay full price, but the store can't make delivery for 60 days. While waiting for your item to arrive, the store lowers the price by 25%. I'm sure any reputable store will reduce the price to you as well.[/QUOTE]

Doublebzz,
Perfect way to put it. (Guess someone was typing befor thinking.):rolleyes:
I still say the TA for this lady is not doing their job. We have traveled on many lines. If the price goes down, I get it. The agent we use makes sure of it.
I still go back to what I said a while ago on this board. The travel agent doesn't want to lose the commission on the higher price charged.
Don't be mad at HAL...be mad as hell with the TA. They either didn't do their job...or they ripped you. Don't use them again.

[quote name='Cath66']This is something I've never understood about people. If I buy something, and then it goes on sale, I would never even ask about getting the sale price. It wasn't that price when I bought it. If businesses of any sort do that, they may as well just sell at a discounted price at all times...and consequently go out of business. I realize we're talking about a substantial amount of money, but I still feel it applies. Ah well, I guess it's just me.[/QUOTE]

No, you're not the only one.

And as for the other analogies, the OP could have "returned" her purchase and bought new at the new price. She chose not to. Not the cruise line's, or the TA's, fault. The correct expression is that you can't have your cake and eat it, too!

[quote name='Cath66']This is something I've never understood about people. If I buy something, and then it goes on sale, I would never even ask about getting the sale price. It wasn't that price when I bought it. If businesses of any sort do that, they may as well just sell at a discounted price at all times...and consequently go out of business. I realize we're talking about a substantial amount of money, but I still feel it applies. Ah well, I guess it's just me.[/QUOTE]

I would never walk into a store after I have purchased an item that I am currently using and ask for a partial refund because the item is now on sale. As a previous poster said perfectly, I have not received my product and yet, they expect full payment well in advance of my vacation.

When I go and buy a TV, there is not a daily fluctuation in the price of a product. Yes there may be a sale on the product a couple of times of the year, but cruise cabin price rise and fall like the stock market. The price of the cabin that I purchase for my upcoming cruise has increased by $100 on my TA's site over the past week. This happens with no other brochure advertised vacation package. If you want to book a week in August in the Caribbean at a hotel, and the brochure says it costs $1000, that is what you pay no matter when you book; there may be a sale but the price never increases above the brochure price.

When I booked my upcoming cruise, my TA stated that if the price drops or there was a promotion, I would receive the difference in the form of either an onboard credit or a direct refund or what ever the promotion was. If I am being told this, and I ask up front before I book the vacation on the price drop policy, I would be a fool not to ask for a partial refund if the price drops. TAs and vacation companies are making these promises, not us!!!!

On another note, what is going on with HAL's web site, it's down again?!!!!:(

Dippy:

There is a vast distinction between a "price drop" (i.e., a reduction in the list price) and a short-term, limited, capacity-controlled sale!

When the price for your cabin went up, did HAL ask you to kick in more dough since you hadn't actually "taken delivery" yet?

Prices on airline seats (a much closer comparison than TV sets!) fluctuate dozens of times each day - do you monitor them and expect a refund every time one comes up lower than you paid?

[quote name='dakrewser']Dippy:

There is a vast distinction between a "price drop" (i.e., a reduction in the list price) and a short-term, limited, capacity-controlled sale!

When the price for your cabin went up, did HAL ask you to kick in more dough since you hadn't actually "taken delivery" yet?

Prices on airline seats (a much closer comparison than TV sets!) fluctuate dozens of times each day - do you monitor them and expect a refund every time one comes up lower than you paid?[/QUOTE]

How about the comparison I made to resort vacations in the Caribbean which are more appropriate comparison to cruises than airline tickets which are for transportation purposes; why don't you use this comparison, doesn't fit your needs in this discussion????

Hey, I didn't set the policies, the TA's and the cruiselines do. If they say they will honour a price drop than they should; if they said I should honour a price increase, I wouldn't book a vacation with them. Play by your own rules I say.

I've read this thread with interest because I can see many sides of the argument, and think several posters have raised good points.

My conclusion is that HAL (or any cruise line, for that matter) is basically screwed. They can't offer a dropped or special sale price to all the people who've already booked, because that would defeat the purpose of enticing new guests to book and represents bad business sense. But they clearly have a customer service perception problem when they try to lock people in and are completely inflexible on matching discounts or dropping fares. Oh, the joys of running a modern business!

[quote name='iceman93']I've read this thread with interest because I can see many sides of the argument, and think several posters have raised good points.

My conclusion is that HAL (or any cruise line, for that matter) is basically screwed. They can't offer a dropped or special sale price to all the people who've already booked, because that would defeat the purpose of enticing new guests to book and represents bad business sense. But they clearly have a customer service perception problem when they try to lock people in and are completely inflexible on matching discounts or dropping fares. Oh, the joys of running a modern business![/QUOTE]

If you think HAL is being "screwed" I suggest you look at the financial reports of their parent company, Carnival Corp over the past decade.

Look folks - there is only one reason for price drops - excess inventory of cabins. Therefore, upgrading a previous purchaser doesn't cost the company anything and explains why this practice occurs the majority of the time. If the excess inventory dries up by some sudden rush of last minute customers, the cruise line generally offers a shipboard credit. Remember, a $200 shipboard credit represents less than $50 out of pocket to the company.

"Ya' pays yer money ... ya' takes yer chances."

I agree to a price at the time of booking. I want to have some input as to where our cabin is, so I book early. Prices are usually very good then, compared to later on. Most of the time, prices go up. I would cancel if the cruise line expected me to ante up more money. We agreed to a price when I paid the deposit and entered into the contract. If my TA sees a price reduction [i]to which I'm entitled[/i] under the cruise line's rules, great. But if I'm not in the target class, so be it.

I think what we have here is a shift in power, and he who has the power calls the shots. A few years ago, it was a buyers' market. The cruiselines were knocking themselves out trying to fill up ships and were more likely to go the extra mile to keep a customer happy. If that meant a price reduction or an upgrade, so be it. Today it's a seller's market, with many cruises practically selling out a year ahead of time. Higher prices? For sure. Better customer service? Not likely. Look at the move RCCL made, jacking up their prices and refusing to allow TAs to discount prices....a huge power play.

In the past you would see statements from various cruiselines something like: "Best price guarantee...book early and if the price goes down, you get the lowest price." You don't see that much anymore. In fact, I have a new HAL brochure, and I read it from cover to cover, and the only statements I've found regarding price state that the cruiseline has the RIGHT to increase the costs under certain circumstances (higher fuel prices, increased port charges or taxes, etc.) and you have to pay them. There is nothing that addresses their policy if the cruise prices go down. I couldn't find anything on their website that addresses that issue either. So, I think we're pretty much into a "you buy it, you own it" situation...whether we like it or not. Some people still get concessions from the cruiselines and others do not, so apparently there is no real "policy" and what is out there is unevenly applied.

This says to me that we have a few options here: 1) Book with the thought in mind that whatever you pay is the cost; 2) Wait until the last minute and take whatever is available...if there is anything available; 3) Book early, and a few days before final payment knock yourself out researching to find out how many cabins are available....and if there is still a large inventory, cancel out and wait for a bargain price to be offered.

Business is always a "supply and demand" situation, and it's a lot more fun for us when the customer is in demand. That's not the case right now.

Archived