Babies in diapers in pools and hot tubs

20pluscruises

When pools and hot tubs are maintained properly, there should not be a problem with urine. Urine is gross, but it is sterile. It really is not a big deal. Have you ever been to a community pool packed with kids? Who goes to the bathroom? Hardly anyone, and they are the big kids! Poop needs to be contained because there are health issues associated with that thus a swim diaper is used. People of any age who do not wipe properly can introduce fecal matter into the pool. Boogers anyone? Hot tubs--germs multiply rapidly in those. They also clean out your skin cells nicely! All that foam?? That is skin cells, lotion, make-up, sunscreen. You really have to stay on top of those chemicals. If any cruise line, hotel, spa, health club wanted to send a great cleanliness message, they would make it VERY clear that the chemical testing is taking place and chems are being added as needed. Shocking a pool or hot tub to kill germs can sometimes require no swimming for 24 hours. I don't mind babies/toddlers in pools--it's everyone else who scares me!! Enjoy the pool, it's ok. :)

I incurred a bad infection on my leg last summer after ONE time in a hot tub. I had an almost healed scratch on my leg when I went in and within 4 hours it was red and inflamed in a 4-5 inch diameter circle around the spot. Ended up in the infirmary the next day ($200 later) and received antibiotic cream and a lecture to stay out of hot tubs. Was told the regular pools were ok but the heated ones cause problems re germ/bacteria growth. Told they try their best but it is hard. Dr told me the safest hot tub is a personal one at home as you "know" who has been in it.