Babies in diapers in pools and hot tubs

20pluscruises

I certainly don't think any of us intended to come across as child hating - only as not wanting to swim in poo.... also don't know what racial overtones you are referring to... I certainly will not scowl at your child if you are on the cruise we are on at the end of the month.... but I honestly don't think she belongs in the pools for all of the reasons already mentioned above...

Truth is, you are correct - this is a very port intensive cruise... you will not have much time to miss the very small, often very chilly cruise ship pool!

Again, salt water pools are salinated differently than the pools on a cruise ship...it's a meticulous process and a much higher concentration of salt than simple ocean water, which is what they use to fill cruise ship pools....

Besides... Why does it matter... The rule is the rule. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It matters because you are implying the pools on cruise ships that use salt water do not have chlorine. They do.

You are correct, the rule is the rule and it comes from the CDC. All can read CDC regulations for cruise ships here:

http://nspf.org/Files/cdccruiseshipregs.pdf

The last paragraph of the cruise ship regulations state:

"Restrictions

Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained are not permitted in the public swimming pools and whirlpool spas."

If cruise ship personal do not enforce the restrictions they are violating the CDC regulations for cruise ships.

A little pool was already on my list to use as a bath, and I'm sure we can swim in the ocean plenty -- we have five ports of call on a seven-day cruise. Oh well, at least we killed the racial not-so-undertones of the thread.

What were the racial undertones?

If you are speaking about what the pool staff told us...those were their words...not mine. AND I didn't even post the rest of what the pool staff said about this groups treatment towards them (the pool staff). Like I said, the pool staff did their best to handle a very bad situation. I fault the security staff whom I approached twice, and clearly they did not care. I also know for a fact... we were not the only ones to speak to security.

It's all good, Jb ... I really do follow rules (as you can probably tell by my other questions about where the lines are in more subjective areas).

By no means do I think everyone who dislikes swim diapers dislikes kids as well, but it was really discouraging to read how people book X to avoid them ... at least I found a place to ask my kid questions. :-)

Don't they have kiddy pools for little ones? I guess I never really noticed, since my offspring are all grown up. I know lots of the Princess ships do. Much easier to empty and sanitize, safer and probably more fun for the little ones. I really love children, especially the "diaper ages". However, their excrement doesn't belong in a public pool.

Don't they have kiddy pools for little ones? I guess I never really noticed, since my offspring are all grown up. I know lots of the Princess ships do. Much easier to empty and sanitize, safer and probably more fun for the little ones. I really love children, especially the "diaper ages". However, their excrement doesn't belong in a public pool.

Yes, they brought it out for them to use, a nice size blow up kiddie pool...they continued to put their diaper clad children in all of the other pools and hot tubs.

It's all good, Jb ... I really do follow rules (as you can probably tell by my other questions about where the lines are in more subjective areas).

By no means do I think everyone who dislikes swim diapers dislikes kids as well, but it was really discouraging to read how people book X to avoid them ... at least I found a place to ask my kid questions. :-)

Just for curiosity sake, which cruise are you taking?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

...water will get in to the diaper, and any bacteria is going to squish out of the sides of the diaper along with the water.

It's not the little ones they dislike. They dislike the parents of the little ones breaking the rules and causing a health hazard.

Yuuppp, that's pretty much it. Very nicely stated. ;)

Same one as you -- you replied to me on our roll call.

Thought I recognized your name.... Looking forward to this cruise very much and to hopefully meeting you and your daughter....Though we are doing a back to back so get to stay for the next week. Not to worry at all...we've done this route several times.... Very few kids and staff and other pax really dote on them. You'll be fine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They told me my 11 month old could not be in the pool due to having a swin diaper. I said fine and got him out and removed the swim diaper. The look on the pool attendants face was priceless as we got back into the pool. :)

Again, another parent that is disrespectful of others. Lets say you are taking a bath at your house or wherever. How would you like it if a stranger pooped in your bath tub? The look on YOUR face would be priceless. : ))

I was never one to use the pools that often when cruising, or the hot tubs for that matter, mainly because of the issues stated in the foregoing. On reflection (noun) I think I will give them a miss from now on until such times as I observe CDC Regulations being firmly and unequivocally enforced by Cruise Staff, something I have yet to see.:cool:

Edited by Macadian

It is Celebrities obligation to enforce the rules - when they don't - it is the cruisers who must demand that they do. When people violate the rules - we need to start with pool security and if they do not stop the activity then we need to take the issue up the line. If enough people complained immediately - they would take this issue more seriously. I have had a family with youngsters removed from the solarium - people were complaining but no one would approach the security people - I finally had had enough so I did and then they were asked to leave. I say complain in mass - the majority has the power.

jane, thank you so much....

my sentiments exactly....it helps to know I am not alone..

rules will change/be inforced if more of us take action....

everyone please do that on the next cruise you are on....

whether it is one breaking the rules or 700....

lets try and get back those relaxing cruises we pay for....

lets try and show parents with kids that this is NOT a free for all on a ship!!!

What part of "I love rules and like to see them enforced" didn't you understand? I am perfectly happy to follow them myself. My problem is the disgust with which swim diapers are treated when "potty trained" 3- through 10-year-olds are treated as completely trustworthy to not pee in a pool.

Your complaint that followed your alleged endorsement of the rules doesn't make sense: "I simply cannot understand why swim diapers are a problem"

The fact that you cannot fathom why a diaper leaking feces is a problem is just frightening. I don't think ANYONE considers 3-5 year olds completely trustworthy not to have an accident in the pool but seriously beyond that age you are being ridiculous. Outside of being developmentally delayed from about age 6 on kids are pretty able to understand the rules about NOT using a pool as a toilet and KNOW the difference.

I trust an eight year old potty trained kid in the pool WAY more than I would ever trust a parent who "can't fathom why a poop filled diaper in the pool is a problem."

By no means do I think everyone who dislikes swim diapers dislikes kids as well, but it was really discouraging to read how people book X to avoid them

I do NOT dislike kids but after raising my own (and being done) and several years working in pediatrics I prefer to vacation WITHOUT them as much as possible. So I choose a cruise line that does not cater to families with rock climbing walls, skating rinks, and cartoon characters. I also choose a time of year when school is in session and there is a much lower chance of families with younger children or out of control teenagers cruising. It does not guarantee NO children.

My last cruise had a family with an 19 month old that they felt was just adorable to run amok nightly in the MDR and Mom walked right into the adult pool, parked a LARGE stroller in the middle of the aisle blocking it and took the diaper clad baby into the pool. The staff did enforce the rules and told her not only was it the adult pool but she couldn't take the baby and diaper in the pools. You should have heard her nasty comments to the staff about how wonderful HER baby was and that they didn't know who they were dealing with. They moved to the family pool and were removed from there too due to glaringly not following the rules.

Are there good parents who teach their kids manners and obey the rules? Sure. Sadly they are becoming fewer and far between. So in reality it really isn't the kids that are the problem: IT IS THEIR PARENTS.

I am also not exactly understanding the difference between a cruise ship pool and a pool at home, especially after some here have clarified that there is in fact chemicals/chlorine, etc. in ship pools. If my son's swim diaper and swim pants are acceptable for my expensive, private, community club why is it not acceptable on a ship? I am not looking for a debate or 15 more posts baby-shaming, I'm just stating my thoughts. That said, rules are rules and I follow them, just as the PP stated she did as well. I don't bring my kids on Celebrity cruises anyway, mostly due to the attitude represented on this thread...I'd prefer not to be looked down upon immediately just due to my having my sons in tow.

I will say that in all my cruises with Celebrity, 3 have been during the holidays and 1 was in June, all where many many children were present, I have only been irritated ONCE by the kids on board and that was several 10-12 year olds running up the buffet on the Solstice in their wet bathing suits. Otherwise I have never witnessed any of the behavior described here on this and other threads. If anything, I have witnessed the opposite behavior by cute well-behaved children who are having a fun time (who, PP, I happen to enjoy seeing on our trips :) ). I guess I am just super lucky to have had all my irritations come from rude unruly adults and not the kids.

I am also not exactly understanding the difference between a cruise ship pool and a pool at home, especially after some here have clarified that there is in fact chemicals/chlorine, etc. in ship pools. If my son's swim diaper and swim pants are acceptable for my expensive, private, community club why is it not acceptable on a ship? I am not looking for a debate or 15 more posts baby-shaming, I'm just stating my thoughts. That said, rules are rules and I follow them, just as the PP stated she did as well. I don't bring my kids on Celebrity cruises anyway, mostly due to the attitude represented on this thread...I'd prefer not to be looked down upon immediately just due to my having my sons in tow.

I will say that in all my cruises with Celebrity, 3 have been during the holidays and 1 was in June, all where many many children were present, I have only been irritated ONCE by the kids on board and that was several 10-12 year olds running up the buffet on the Solstice in their wet bathing suits. Otherwise I have never witnessed any of the behavior described here on this and other threads. If anything, I have witnessed the opposite behavior by cute well-behaved children who are having a fun time (who, PP, I happen to enjoy seeing on our trips :) ). I guess I am just super lucky to have had all my irritations come from rude unruly adults and not the kids.

If the pool staff tells you not once, but dozens of times each day that your children are NOT allowed in the pool in diapers, and on day two you show up and once again stick the diapered child in the pool.....YEP, on day three I'm going to be the one looking down on you as soon as I see your first step onto the pool deck with your diaper clad tot.

Not to mention...there are 2 1/2 feet signs on either side of each pool, and a sign posted on each hot tubs stating the rules

Edited by 20pluscruises

If the pool staff tells you not once, but dozens of times each day that your children are NOT allowed in the pool in diapers, and on day two you show up and once again stick the diapered child in the pool.....YEP, on day three I'm going to be the one looking down on you as soon as I see your first step onto the pool deck with your diaper clad tot.

Not to mention...there are 2 1/2 feet signs on either side of each pool, and a sign posted on each hot tubs stating the rules

That wouldn't be me, because I follow the rules and I wouldn't have my child in there in the first place. My point is that no matter what (and I'm not saying necessarily that you are one of these people), if you walk on a cruise ship with a child, immediately some people (many IMHO) will judge you and be irritated by you, before you even have a chance to show what kind of parent you are or how your children behave. That is clearly evident by many many threads on this board. I'm not arguing that OP doesn't have a right to be irritated, I was only stating that situations discussed on this board like that immediately turn into a child bashing thread that ends up making people feel that they aren't wanted on board, even before they have a chance to prove others wrong.

That wouldn't be me, because I follow the rules and I wouldn't have my child in there in the first place. My point is that no matter what (and I'm not saying necessarily that you are one of these people), if you walk on a cruise ship with a child, immediately some people (many IMHO) will judge you and be irritated by you, before you even have a chance to show what kind of parent you are or how your children behave. That is clearly evident by many many threads on this board. I'm not arguing that OP doesn't have a right to be irritated, I was only stating that situations discussed on this board like that immediately turn into a child bashing thread that ends up making people feel that they aren't wanted on board, even before they have a chance to prove others wrong.

I have no problem with well behaved children on a cruise ship. As a matter of fact, there was a Mother in the pool with her child..she was louder than the entire group of children in the pool. I guess she just wanted THE ENTIRE SHIP to know that little Timmy could go under water. ...and yes, my DH did make a rude comment (under his breath) "I wish she would go under water and stay there for a while."

Your complaint that followed your alleged endorsement of the rules doesn't make sense: "I simply cannot understand why swim diapers are a problem"

The fact that you cannot fathom why a diaper leaking feces is a problem is just frightening. I don't think ANYONE considers 3-5 year olds completely trustworthy not to have an accident in the pool but seriously beyond that age you are being ridiculous. Outside of being developmentally delayed from about age 6 on kids are pretty able to understand the rules about NOT using a pool as a toilet and KNOW the difference.

I trust an eight year old potty trained kid in the pool WAY more than I would ever trust a parent who "can't fathom why a poop filled diaper in the pool is a problem."

I can see why some moms would not understand why swim diapers are a problem. First, they are called swim diapers and second, and most importantly, public pools in their hometowns allow them, so they would just assume that all pools accept them. I don't have small children, so I learned after reading threads on cruise critic the problems that exist with swim diapers.

Why not send the video tape to the CDC or whoever it is that rates the ship's health and cleanliness? they might have a problem with these unsanitary practices..

.at our Condo in Fla the whole adult pool had to be drained & refilled at great cost to all due to fecal bacteria count , all b/c someone put their untrained children in for a swim.. guess the kiddie pool which s drained daily was not good enough for them! Swimmies do not always contain the problems!!!

I always take my swim on ships in the moring to hopefully avoid the worst of it..

They shouldn't be acceptable at the private community club from a health standpoint but local laws may vary in who they force to comply in private versus public pools. Or else maybe the local private community club is not following the rules in your city or county by allowing it and is ignoring regulations. For example here in Montgomery County Maryland swim diapers are not allowed by the county at our private condominium pool. We found that out when some parents challenged the rule the condo has against them to the board of directors. The rules on swimming pools are enforced by the county. The board did not want to change the rule but could not have even if they desired to change the rule. The county also sends inspectors from time to time and will shut down a pool if health and safety regulations are not followed.

Edited by Charles4515

Well if the issue really is only poop, then that makes a bit more sense ... I just have never heard of a swim diaper leaking poop. Maybe they make them better these days? Maybe my friends all take their kids swimming at non-pooping times? I don't know, I just dread going on a cruise knowing that a chunk of people dislike seeing my little one on their vacation before she even has the chance to do something wrong.

so you have never heard of diarrhea then? the average infant is on a an all liquid diet. as such their waste is also .. yep you guessed it..LIQUID.

and trust me.. diapers leak poop. swim and otherwise. I have had to change more than one.

fully potty trained means they are cognizant of their body , its functioning and know when to get the hell OUT of the pool and head to the bathroom. a toddler, even while being potty trained, has not yet mastered that.

nor have they mastered the art of 'holding it' long enough to do so.

On one Celebrity cruise during the summer with a lot of kids, kids were knocking on cabin doors and running away from the door.

On a Carnival cruise teens were heckling a singer. No parents stopped them. The singer was not all that good but it was still disrespectful to the singer and the audience.

On a recent cruise on NCL Breakaway there were screaming toddlers in specialty restaurants two nights and the parents did nothing. Also at the whiskey bar at 9:30 pm a toddler kept screaming and scared the heck out of one of the bar servers.

Of course there are many well behaved children. The ones who are not get remembered.

I have encountered rude adults, they seem to come out on Florida sailings in December when the cruise price drops. They treat the staff like dirt.

Edited by Charles4515