A Bright SUNSHINE Christmas Cruise Report

smc1313s

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]We were up and out of the cabin by 830am. We met A/J in Ocean Plaza and had a leisurely breakfast. We decided that we would not be in a rush to debark and let the crowds thin a bit. We ended up going down about 945am and basically walked right off and thru customs. I actually recommend self-assist debark if you can handle your own luggage. It was really nice to just walk through without having to search through all the luggage in the terminal. We caught a cab back to the hotel. This is where we made a mistake. Instead of calling the guy who brought us we just grabbed a cab that was waiting. We ended up paying $32 for the trip back to the hotel, and the guy that dropped us off to embark only charged $20. Oh well..lesson learned.

We arrived back at the hotel at about 10:30am. C and I were booked for 2 more nights post-cruise. We said our goodbyes to A/J and proceeded into the hotel. We sat in the lobby for a few minutes and got on the computer to see if we could possibly book for the next week on the Sunshine. No luck. So I called. It was a long shot, but it was all sold out since it was a Christmas week cruise. Oh well, maybe next time!

We were able to check in early as I requested when we checked pre-cruise. We were up and settled in the room by 11:30am. It was a dreadfully cold and rainy day in NOLA this day so we decided to just relax in the room for the day. We had lunch at the hotel restaurant and just watched movies on TV and chilled. It was actually really nice to relax and veg out after the cruise. We ordered room service for dinner and called it a night about 11pm.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Final Thoughts

I have to say that this was our favorite and best cruise to date. We had a wonderful time, so much so that we tried really hard to hop right back on!

My only complaint is the Comedy Club…and that the trip had to end:D!

The staff is fantastic. Everyone we came across was super friendly. That being said, I am quite friendly and always greet people with a smile and a warm greeting, even if just passing. Anytime I ordered something, or asked for something, I always ask the staff member how they are and really, sincerely thank them for their help or service. I think a little kindness can go a long way. I will never know how hard it is to work on a ship for months on end away from my family, but I can imagine. So I really respect all those who make my vacation fun.

As for the entertainment staff, I have to say the best ever! Jaime is one great cruise director, and she is doing a great job with her entertainment staff. We had a really great time interacting with all of them. Of course I have to mention Alex again. He was probably one of the best social hosts we have ever come across, and we hope to see him again in the future. I have never really thought that the entertainment staff, or CD would make or break my cruise, but the staff on the Sunshine really went well beyond my expectations.

I found everything I ate to be really good. Of course there are things that were bland here and there, and maybe I just didn’t like something. But food is subjective. The Cucina is fantastic and I will miss it on any ship that does not have it in the future. Guy’s burgers are pretty darn good, the best I’ve ever had? No. But I still really enjoyed them. The Steakhouse is a very superb dinner, and the experience is great. I was really impressed with the enthusiasm they had with helping me surprise my wife. I think for the food quality and service, the Steakhouse is a good value as well. Try getting that level of food and service on land for a better deal.

The Sunshine is beautiful. I really don’t see where all of the negative reviews come from. We have only been cruising since 2009 and we both feel that Carnival has only improved. Sure, it sucked that we couldn’t go the past guest party the 3rd cruise after we had been able to on the 2nd one. Yeah, we miss the Fun Farewell party on the last sea day. But overall, in our opinion, Carnival is improving each cruise we take. As long as they continue to provide me they vacation I want, I will continue to book Carnival. I don’t have high standards, but I don’t have very low standards either. I can be incredibly picky when it comes to food and lodging, but Carnival hits the mark for me every time. When they cease to do so, I will look elsewhere.

I try really hard to live by the philosophy that my life is what I make it. I believe that happiness is something that each individual creates, and only you have complete control of your own happiness. If you are constantly expecting others to make you happy, and live with the expectation that everything should be perfect, then you will be forever disappointed. This rings even more true for vacation. Things can, and will go wrong. It’s all in how you handle it. Just relax and have a good time…on vacation and in life!

Bottom line: This was one hell of a fantastic cruise! I completely recommend the Sunshine.

Thanks so much for reading along CC friends. I thoroughly enjoy this forum and have learned so much from you all! I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed telling. I will check back periodically, so if you have any other questions, just ask.

And, thanks to anyone else who has ever written a picture review. Now that I have done one, I will appreciate them even more!

I wish you all calm seas and cool DOD’s :D

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='maryann92201']Thank you for such a well written review. We will be on cruise on the Sunshine December 14 - 19, 2014. I honestly can not wait. It will be my 2nd cruise but the first for my Mom and kids.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Thanks for reading! You are gonna love it! I love taking people on their first cruise, it makes it almost feel like your first again![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Green4me']Loved the review Thanks so much, did you spend any time in the RF pub listening to the entertainment?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I went to the pub several times at different times of the day and night and there was never much going on in there. It's a cool area but always seemed empty on our cruise. No pub food served either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 11 months later...