Question re: sea hair

Mamatothree

I have long wavy/curly hair that becomes VERY frizzy in humidity. A few things that I have found that work very well for me are

Living Proof's style extender

Ojon restorative conditioner

as well as putting a LITTLE coconut oil through it, and then washing it. Make sure you use just a little otherwise it will look oily, but it definitely controls the frizz. Also you could try rubbing pure aloe through it too.

I have also used Living Proof(didn't work that well) and Ojon(I couldn't get past the smell, but it worked pretty well). Wen doesn't work for me...have used John Frieda with some decent results.

I have used coconut milk in my hair that works well at home but haven't tried it on ship. The Polynesians use coconut oil on their hair.

I'll have to try the aloe. Thanks for the tip!!:)

Hi all, I live in uk, so maybe this product isnt out in USA yet but worth asking at your salon, its called Kebelo, (i dont work for them:)) I love cruising but suffer the same problem as many women, and could compete with afro hair any day after an hour or so in sea air, anyways, My hairdresser recommended it when i said I was going away again and wanted my hair cut a bit shorter (was trying to grow it at the time)

kebelo, is a treatment that lasts for 100 days its all natural and has no bad stuff in it, it restructures your hair from inside, so if like me, you dye your hair and its knackered it fixes that too, your hair stays straight in salty/high humidity air , or stays your natural style and how you have dried it, it can be curled and styled as normal as it doesnt permanently straighten your hair like a brazillian and contains no formaldehyde etc, in uk it costs £100 but you also get a sulphate free shampoo, conditioner and hair mask included in price, I always get it before xmas & holidays, my hair is the best it has ever been even when the 100 days are over and when I wake up. in the morning my hair has hardly moved yet its soft and shiny. When you first get it done it strips any dye from your hair, but you can re dye it 24 hours later, so also good way to get rid of a bad or too dark a colour and fixes hair at same time, for first week or so your hair has a hops/ wheat smell when washing it which isnt very pleasant at all, but can be masked with hair products on drying and it only lasts a little while , hope its in usa or comes to you soon:D

I have also used Living Proof(didn't work that well) and Ojon(I couldn't get past the smell, but it worked pretty well). Wen doesn't work for me...have used John Frieda with some decent results.

I have used coconut milk in my hair that works well at home but haven't tried it on ship. The Polynesians use coconut oil on their hair.

I'll have to try the aloe. Thanks for the tip!!:)

Wen didnt work for me either. I felt like my hair was never clean.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

On a cruise, I find the It's A 10 Plus Keratin shampoo and conditioner work well, followed by Alterna Bamboo Smooth Frizz Correcting Styling Lotion. I've been using the Alterna for 3-4 months now, every day, and can barely see the level in the bottle moving down.

I realized that the It's A 10 was too heavy for every day, as I live in a very dry climate. It just leaves too much residue in my hair. So I got the Alterna Bamboo Smooth shampoo and conditioner and LOVE them. I only use the shampoo about once every week or two, but condition daily.

I use one pump after I towel dry my hair at home, and two if I'm on a cruise or it's particularly humid.

Had the frizz issue on a trip to Bermuda a couple of years ago. Since the ship has dry air-conditioned air, I just either washed it and blew it straight or used my flat iron and it looked lovely for evening. You can try a defrizz jell like Phytodifrisant which is a very good product. I just accepted that my hair would look terrible during the day and fixed it for the evening festivities.

All of my cruise days used to be bad hair days. It was so frizzy and matted, my frizz had frizz!! A few years ago, I started using WEN, by Chaz Dean. Got it on QVC. I use the Fig formula. I wash it and blow it dry with a Conair brush dryer, every 5 to 6 days on a cruise. I also apply argon oil. I get daily compliments on my hair. I live in the dry Southwest. WEN has does wonders for my hair. It's so worth the price. I try to buy it when it's a Today's Special Value and get the auto-delivery plan.

Just had it done yesterday. Leaving feb. 27 for iguazu falls and then b2b from buenos aires ,all around s.a. To Miami. 32 days without my hair dresser who keeps my hair straight for me every week. I hope the Brazilian works. Had my hair done on ship once and they had no clue as to how to blow out frizzy hair.

It's my vacation and I like to look nice. Can't go natural.

Pam

I say, embrace your inner Bozo :D

I just about spewed my milk on my computer! :p

As a redhead with fizzy/curly hair, no one wants to see me as full on bozo, LOL!

I would say use tons of product, but then it just gets all sticky. I am going to work on perfecting an elegant sock bun and go with waves and curls!

Occasionally I will get an old school 80's perm and it does help with styling the frizz. I have also started using the generic "Wen" products from Sally's Beauty Supply and I am a fan. My hair has never been softer.

If anyone wants to try the coconut oil, go to your local Body Shop and get a tin of their solid Coconut Oil. I'll put a little (VERY LITTLE) of it on the ends of my hair.

I change my routine frequently - too much of the same things tends to stop working. Right now, it's back to some old faces: Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout shampoo and American Cream conditioner, a little bit of Bumble & Bumble Styling Creme or Lush R&B, and a tad of the coconut on the ends. Started doing it 2 weeks ago and a bunch of my co-workers commented on how nice my hair looked (including some of the guys!!). Now, it's cold and dry up here now (we have very little humidity and the heat in all the buildings make it worse), so this is working for now. I'll change up again when Spring comes...

I collect tons of super cute bandanas and wear one pretty much every day! Have them to match every outfit I own! I only do this when I cruise, well mostly anywho!

Besides bandanas (I always carry at least one on any trip - so many uses), Buffs can be your friend...

I use Ouidad products....I think that is how you spell it..I buy it online from their website. This brand is made just for curly and wavy hair. I have used the deep conditioner, and the styling gel meant for humid weather. The website also has good articles on how to style different types of 'curly' hair, whether your hair is wavy, curly, kinky or tight curls....

This product works the best for my hair. It is expensive so I save it for special occasions and for trips. I also bought their book.

Okay, I'll admit my stupidity ... Buffs?

http://www.buffusa.com

or

http://sahalie.blair.com/t/accessories/buff/pc/1946/1947.uts

I've got an entire drawer full of them! full Buff, half Buff, Buff headband, polar Buff…. The full buff can have sooooo many uses besides just a headband - temporary purse, shopping bag, hat, scarf...

I had the problem of sea..(more like sea-hag) hair as well. My second oldest girl is a very seasoned traveller and when I told her about this she got me Joico Humidity blocker as well as k-pak and good shampoo. I also like to do my hair in a nice French braid for the trip. A good braid will last for a few days and is good for shore excursions when you are swimming, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
I fought my curls for 45 years until I discovered the naturally curly methods of hair care. Deva Curl is my favorite brand - but there's so much out there with no silicone, no sulfates, very little alcohol...

Embrace the curl!

Where do you buy Deva Curl?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too have curly hair and now its thined out as I've gotten older. Ugh! I hate it, but try my best to make do with what little hair I do have. It's a genetic thing. Garnier makes a ton of products for all kinds of hair and I love them. One of the best things about their products is that they are very inexpensive but they work really well. You can get Garnier products at just about any drugstore.

The best thing for frizzy hair is oil and it doesn't really matter what kind. Just rub a bit between the palms of your hand and lightly run it over your hair...it works grea! Just don't use too much or your hair will look even worse than it did when it was frizzy.:eek: I would seriously checkout the Granier shelf at your local drugstore.And, like other posters have mentioned, It's a 10 also has a line of products that work well for our type of hair.

Also, I rock hats, all kinds of hats; berets, baseball cabs, beanies, straw, etc. But my favorite hat to wear is a newsboy cap. I love them and they work for me. I've been known to wear a beret with a rhinestone pin on it out to dinner and sometimes a velvet cloche. I also love wearing scarfs and headbands.

Heres, another little tip, wigs! Seriously, I have one that I take on all my vacations. If I don't have time to mess around with my hair before dinner. I take a shower, dry my hair, and plob on my wig. I just throw it in a plastic bag and whip it out when I need it. A little shake and it's good to go. My DS loves it. He's thinks it's a kick!

Edited by mousey

Where do you buy Deva Curl?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I buy Deva from Amazon - you can get travel size for trial. Ulta also carries it. It's kind of a process getting used to going natural - infrequent washing with "low poo" or no-poo cleanser with leave in conditioner, gel and/or curl activators. No silicone [like the 10 or most curly hair products]

Right now I'm using Shea Moisture [find in the ethnic products] because I was out of Deva and waiting to order big bottles. My hair was so frizzy because I was sealing the cuticle with silicone products. Now I use products that encourage it to absorb moisture - it gets curlier and prettier in humidity - dry winter has made it limp and blah. Now - the wind on a cruise may show a different side!!

Edited by Mytime2014