Calling all Tall ship experts!

bobbi3

My husband and I considering a tall ship cruise for late 2014. We'd like to sail in the Carribean. We are 30/50 somethings looking for a laid back cruising style. We have a sail boat and sail often in So cal. We would like a ship that would allow us to maybe take part in the sailing experience (if possible). We also are more adventure types. For example I'd much rather go paddle boarding then go out shopping. We also both dive. But we are not looking for a live-aboard dive boat experience. Since we are still on vacation we'd still like to have quiet time and relaxation (maybe a massage!). Can anyone out there recommend a ship? I've been looking at Windstar and Star Clipper. My worry with Windstar is that it might be too stuffy and my concern with star clipper is that it seems to only stay at a stop for a couple hours and won't leave time for exploring.

Can anyone help!?

Thanks,

Bobbi3

Can anyone out there recommend a ship? I've been looking at Windstar and Star Clipper. My worry with Windstar is that it might be too stuffy and my concern with star clipper is that it seems to only stay at a stop for a couple hours and won't leave time for exploring.

Can anyone help!?

Thanks,

Bobbi3

We've done both and love both, you really can't go wrong with either. All things being equal we prefer Star Clippers, but haven't looked at your exact itinerary so can't comment on port times.

If your main goal is a "tall ship" then Windstar won't meet that criteria. They are really cruise ships that happens to have a few electronic sails. Star Clippers are true sailing vessels.

We have been on all the Star Clipper ships several times and enjoyed them probably more than any other cruises. We have not been on Windstar but our children have. they report that it is basically a luxury cruise ship - good food and services, etc. The sails are handled electrically and seem to be mostly for show.

Back to Star Clippers:

- Ship recommendation. The St Maarten weekly departures probably best meet your wishes or the Star Clipper (the big square rigger) out of Barbados.

- Sailing experience. There are occasions where the social director may organize passengers to help hoist sails but it is not really necessary. The bridge is open to all except when maneuvering in harbor. Officers are very accessible. There are, I believe 16 sails on the smaller ships and 22 on the Star Clipper - lots of work! They use electric winches and there are always lines all over the deck. If you are sunning on deck you may have to move when they tack or set another sail. The deck crew is from Goa in India or the Philippines and they are all sailor and most are willing to talk about their experiences. Most of the officers are graduates of the old USSR Naval academy where they spent a year at sea on a sailing ship. Ukrainian, Latvian, etc and an occasional German. They all love to sail and will do so if at all possible.

- Diving. We are snorkelers not divers but I have it on good authority (a retired Navy master diver) that the dive program is top notch. The sports crew seem to be either Swedes or Australians. They run certification programs on board.

- on board experience. With an average of 150-60 passengers it is an intimate, casual and informal experience. Food is European in style and service. Passenger mix is international with Americans sometimes being the minority. Generally age 40's and up with occasional newlyweds and young couples. I recall the big ship having a masseuse but not sure about the other ships.

- Port Calls - generally arrive 8-10 AM and sail away around 5 PM. They always set sails and play music upon departure. There is nearly always a beach option and a "town" option. Some days are simply beach days with no other options. The tenders run right up on the beach and you climb over the bow. They have sail boards, a small sail boat, water skiing behind a Zodiac plus other water toys. Sometimes a second Zodiac will take you to a good snorkel site. All this is free. Only the diving is extra.

Hope this helps you decide. We certainly love them.

Robbie

We have been on all the Star Clipper ships several times and enjoyed them probably more than any other cruises. We have not been on Windstar but our children have. they report that it is basically a luxury cruise ship - good food and services, etc. The sails are handled electrically and seem to be mostly for show.

Back to Star Clippers:

- Ship recommendation. The St Maarten weekly departures probably best meet your wishes or the Star Clipper (the big square rigger) out of Barbados.

- Sailing experience. There are occasions where the social director may organize passengers to help hoist sails but it is not really necessary. The bridge is open to all except when maneuvering in harbor. Officers are very accessible. There are, I believe 16 sails on the smaller ships and 22 on the Star Clipper - lots of work! They use electric winches and there are always lines all over the deck. If you are sunning on deck you may have to move when they tack or set another sail. The deck crew is from Goa in India or the Philippines and they are all sailor and most are willing to talk about their experiences. Most of the officers are graduates of the old USSR Naval academy where they spent a year at sea on a sailing ship. Ukrainian, Latvian, etc and an occasional German. They all love to sail and will do so if at all possible.

- Diving. We are snorkelers not divers but I have it on good authority (a retired Navy master diver) that the dive program is top notch. The sports crew seem to be either Swedes or Australians. They run certification programs on board.

- on board experience. With an average of 150-60 passengers it is an intimate, casual and informal experience. Food is European in style and service. Passenger mix is international with Americans sometimes being the minority. Generally age 40's and up with occasional newlyweds and young couples. I recall the big ship having a masseuse but not sure about the other ships.

- Port Calls - generally arrive 8-10 AM and sail away around 5 PM. They always set sails and play music upon departure. There is nearly always a beach option and a "town" option. Some days are simply beach days with no other options. The tenders run right up on the beach and you climb over the bow. They have sail boards, a small sail boat, water skiing behind a Zodiac plus other water toys. Sometimes a second Zodiac will take you to a good snorkel site. All this is free. Only the diving is extra.

Hope this helps you decide. We certainly love them.

Robbie

I believe the largest of the fleet is Royal clipper, with 5 masts. Star Clipper and Star Flyer are the two smaller ships. EM

I believe the largest of the fleet is Royal clipper, with 5 masts. Star Clipper and Star Flyer are the two smaller ships. EM

That is correct.

Royal Clipper is the largest active sailing ship today at 440 ft. It is a 5 masted squarerigger so it looks like what we think of as a Clipper ship. In the Carib it sails out of Barbados with alternate week itineraries.

The other two ships are 360 ft and have squares on the fore mast and fore and aft stay sails on the other three masts. Star Clipper sails out of St, Maarten all winter and Star Flyer is out of Costa Rica in the Pacific all winter.

Check starclipper.com for more information. There is also a CC Star Clipper forum that has some information.

For the sailors - we were once on the Star Clipper and met up with the Royal Clipper at Norman Island and then raced to Soper's Hole. The Star got upwind of the Royal and covered their air so we ran side by side about 100 ft apart for about an hour. Lots of fun.

Enjoy! Robbie

Wind Star is not a sailing ship--but is very laid back, and on 4 trips no stuffy.

Agreed. I have been on two Windstar cruises and they are not stuffy at all. We were under sail entirely for about three of the days between the two weeks, so might not be what the OP is looking for.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Thank you for all the good info. After doing more research over the last few days we are leaning more toward the star clipper. Although now we learned that the star ships also run in the Cyclades! This is something else we are considering as well.

@nuksailor- Yes we did look into the mooring for a yacht charter! This was when we were going to vacation with 2 of other couple friends. But it seems now like we are the only two going to make it out this year. But yes I definitely would like to do that some day!

-bobbi3