going on Davina and temporarily disabled :(

kevsue

Just wanted to ask anyone with experience of Davina how much difficulty I will face if I am still suffering in March - I currently can't walk without a crutch or stick. I hope it will ease before March but just in case some feedback from others with difficulty walking would be helpful. Worst case scenario we could cancel our cruise but I don't even want to think of that :(

It's a big ship but cabin location will largely depend how much actual walking you'll have to do onboard.

They only have so many wheelchairs onboard, so of you think you'll need one, let them know. Think there is a form or something you'll have to fill in prior to going. You can get assistance getting on at embarkation so you don't have to stand in a queue for ages or walk much and get help onboard. On my last. Raise (another MSC ship) an elderly passenger at our table stated to struggle a bit during the cruise, so a member of staff brought him to dinner each night and then collected him later.

Ships are much easier than hotels when you have mobility issues. I've twice torn ligaments whilst on holiday and tying to get around on a land based holiday was a nightmare compared to being on a ship. The crew were so helpful as well.

I could be mistaken, as I can frequently be but ...

When I asked about a wheel chair for my mother they suggested bringing my own because they could provide wheel chair service to the door way of the state room but no further. So it's not as though they will just give you a chair and let you keep it for the week. Also bear in mind that if you are using a wheel chair, your freedom to go ashore for excursions (epsecially by tender) is greatly complicated.

I could be mistaken, as I can frequently be but ...

When I asked about a wheel chair for my mother they suggested bringing my own because they could provide wheel chair service to the door way of the state room but no further. So it's not as though they will just give you a chair and let you keep it for the week. Also bear in mind that if you are using a wheel chair, your freedom to go ashore for excursions (epsecially by tender) is greatly complicated.

You are correct. They don't give you the wheelchair for the duration of the cruise, they get someone to bring one to help you move around. You need to tell them when you need help like the gentleman at our table, he told them what time he needed to go to and from dinner as the restaurant was too far from his cabin for him to manage.

Sorry to hear of your problem. However, things aren't too bad.

A modern cruise ship is one of the easiest environments to get around. Almost everywhere is level - about the only exception is some of the doorways leading to the outside decks and parts of the theatre. It's a compact environment - far better than land-based resorts. The only time you may experience difficulty is at tender ports - but you can always stay on board and enjoy an almost empty ship!

If you're flying to join the ship, contact your airline, as they can organise (free) assistance to get you through the airport easily.

You can always rent a wheelchair - but they can be so cheap you might as well buy one - you can always donate it to a charity shop when you no longer need it. The ship's wheelchairs are only used for boarding and disembarkation, so if you need a chair, you will need to provide it. Get a nice small one that folds easily, you might be ok on crutches most of the time, but a chair is also handy just for the "bad" days.

A quick look on ebay found this one at £70 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRALITE-FOLDING-LIGHTWEIGHT-WHEELCHAIR-WITH-CARRY-BAG-AMW0035-/221181066709?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item337f6b3dd5

Unless you need hospital care, you should be fine on a modern cruise ship. No need to cancel - have a great holiday.

Thank you all for your advice, life can sometimes be cruel and I can't believe this is happening 2 months before the cruise we booked a year ago :(. I am determined not to cancel and as you have all said, cruise lines are used to people with restricted mobility. Thank you for the wheelchair link- I may.need a minor op on my knees before going so may buy one anyway!! Thanks - you have all been really kind

Thank you all for your advice, life can sometimes be cruel and I can't believe this is happening 2 months before the cruise we booked a year ago :(. I am determined not to cancel and as you have all said, cruise lines are used to people with restricted mobility. Thank you for the wheelchair link- I may.need a minor op on my knees before going so may buy one anyway!! Thanks - you have all been really kind

you may also rent a scooter from a company which specializes in providing scooters for cruises. you rent it for the duration of the cruise. I have used one several times and it came in super hand especially for walks on shore. visit the disabled cruise travel threads on this board. those folks can be very helpful.

A dear friend of mine sailed on Poesia with us in Feb '12, she had sclerderma (horrible disease) and brought her scooter and sometimes oxygen.

MSC was simply wonderful = help embark, disabled muster drill etc. She had a very large handicapped cabin

they moved seating for 24? people to the front of dining room, had a place for her to park scooter. Every night the handsome Maitre'd would take her arm and help her the few steps to her table from her scooter <grin>

They had spots in the theater for scooters, wheelchairs, she loved the shows. She loved the lido, sitting out at a table, going to buffet where a nice staff member would happily help her. Her friends and her sister in law (her cabin mate) and I would have helped happily BUT she felt happier not "imposing" on us, and the staff was just great.

Sadly the summer after her cruise she took a turn for the worse and spent a year mostly sick in and out of hospital, she passed away last October. I posted her lovely cruise pics on facebook, sent to her daughters, made a collage for her....I must say she looked so happy and pretty on her cruise, just amazing. Her daughters say that they had not seen her look so happy and healthy in some years. Thanks MSC :)

Being such a large ship, walking with a cane may be slow. A wheelchair means someone has to push you. My husband and I just came off the Divina and he is handicapped. I ordered a scooter thru "Special Needs at Sea" and it was delivered directly to our stateroom and all we had to do was leave it there when we were finished. We were also able to take it with us when we left the ship (pier only - we could not take it on a tender). It made a world of difference for him as he had much more independence. It was also great for me as I didn't have to push him!

Consider it - it was WELL worth the price.

Good tip about booking airport assistance. I usually organise it (solo traveller with visual impairment) as does my sister who has MS. She is reasonably mobile but long waits at security or long walks to gates can get her off to a bad start on her holiday. It's very easy to book, just do it via your airline. Most let you do it on their website. It will take a lot of stress away from travelling.