Ipod and a cruise

kthill

My teenage son's birthday is while we on our cruise next week. We are giving him his present early, an Ipod. Since I don't have one (yet), can anyone tell me if their is any great accessory that he would want to use or need while on our cruise, like will a charger/adaptor work in the cabin, etc.? Thank you

(remember he is a teenager, while we like to hear the ocean at night he will prefer his music after listening to the wave for awhile)

The charger that comes with the iPod is fine...I brought mine with when we sailed on the Miracle and it worked as well as it gets LOL.

The only thing to really think of getting is a skin for the iPod so that it doesn't get scratched up.

I got an Mini iPod a year ago (4GB) and it came with the power charger, and a bunch of extras (The box was a cube of about 6".

My dad and I got one, as a gift, for my sister last month, which was in a much smaller box (1/2 the size.) Hers did not come with some of the extras mine had (i.e. firewire adapter and wall power charger.)

So .... what I am saying here is, although the price is the same as last year, you will have to pay extra for an AC charger. :confused: They have them, and other iPod accessories, on eBay for good prices. My sister got a charger for $7-8, much less than $30-something in the stores.

Your son will love his new iPod!! You are awesome parents!:D :D

Arm band is a great idea! I have one.

I know very little about iPods....I hope they have a headphone jack. Headphones are required in public areas. Also, please ask him to be considerate of his neighbors while in his cabin. I love my music, but am aware that not everyone else does!

Have a great cruise!!

You can purchase seperate speakers for an iPod but they come with headphones. You will not have to be concerned with someone being loud with one.

If he likes to walk around you might want to get him an arm holder and if you are handy with a computer and can get to his music and keep the process from him you might want to pre-load it so he can enjoy it right away. I use mine running and have come to the conclusion I cannot live without it.

You can also buy him a pre-laoded card to put music on it with. They come in $15.00 and $30.00 denominations and it is 99 cents a song (about 10 bucks for entire CD's but I never buy the whole thing). I get a card every few weeks which limits how much I spend on iTunes. You should get on the computer he uses and download iTunes, it's free. It's how he will update it.

If he enjoys his as much as I love mine he will be one happy camper.

Make sure you give it to him in plenty of time before the cruise, that way he'll have time to load it up with music. They do load quick but it can be time consuming. Great gift!

My girls love their iPods. They come with headphones and the charger that comes with it is sufficient. However, you could buy speakers that he could use in the room, but only if you like his music, otherwise it's better to just let them wear the headphones. This would also charge it, and they have some pretty compact but good sounding speakers. They come with the little ear pieces, my girls prefer the bigger headphones, but they can use ones from another CD player or something. Hopefully you have a fast enough computer to download the music, or it could take forever. The gift cards are a good idea too, then you don't need to charge it to a credit card. He could also use his favorite CDs to put just his favorite songs on the iPod.

Have a great cruise!

If you buy him the mini they don't come with wall chargers. They charge when they are hooked up to the computer. So if you buy the mini then buy him a all charger. But if you buy a regular iPod then it will come with a wall charger.

My daughter's mini came with a charger. So, maybe they have different packages. We also got the car adapter so you can listen to it through the car speakers, and it charges it too.

Great ideas, thank you everyone. Since it's a mini, it sounds like the chargers will be needed for the cruise. He will use the headphones only on our trip so as not to bother anyone. He can get the speakers later when we get home.

Love the wrapping paper idea but then it would have been an empty box. ;)

Thank you everyone!

Don't forget:

* Credits for downloads at the iTunes Music Store

* An iBook to download those credits

If Disney can start a cruise line, then maybe Pixar and Apple (given the fact that they share a CEO) could start their own: iCruise? :rolleyes:

I purchases a new IPOD mini last month (4 GB $199) and it did not come with a charger does not come with a AC charger. We bought my twin grand daughters the same 4 GB IPODS last Xmas and their's did come with an AC charger. All three of us had our IPODs on a cruise to Alaska eariler this month and we discovered that the AC IPOD "docking cords" were different. Their AC chagrers came with a "docking cord" that had a "fire wire" connection to the AC chagrer where as mine came with a USB cord only and I had to buy the chager for $30. The point is make sure you buy the chager that matches your docking cord correctly. The new IPOD minis have only one cord and it is a USB connection cord.

Bought my Husband's mini in June; no ac charger was included, so we bought one. No need for armband; it comes with a clip that works great! He did purchase a rubber sleeve for it to protect the device from scratches, dirt and dings.

I have a Shuffle, and I bought protective sleeve for it. Once sleeve was on, we discovered the clip will not fit, so we took a knife to it, did some "plastic surgery" and viola! Sleeve is in place and clip fits!

There is only 1 package for the mini. There is no AC charger, that you can plug in the wall. You can buy one, the regular iPods come with them. I just bought a new mini 2 weeks ago off of apple.com, and no charger.

I got an iPod a couple of weeks ago and mine did not come with an AC adapter but charges on my computer.

I run with mine so I love my arm band.

For what it is worth, you can't hear the iPod unless you are using earphones. There is no speaker on the actual iPod.

iTunes is addictive.

I have a Rio Carbon. Came with 5 gigs of space, almost all filled, a charger, a usb hook up, head phones and a case. I love it. It's smaller that an ipod and has more space, charges faster and stays charged longer. :)

Thank you everyone for the input. I just got back from Best Buy and found a great item that is a car charger/ac charger in one item for the mini, brand name was InCase I believe. Sorry it's already gift wrapped or I would double check. The store clerk said it was great. So he can charge it in the car on the way there and during the cruise. I will be sure to take a power strip. Thanks again.

I have a Rio Carbon. Came with 5 gigs of space, almost all filled, a charger, a usb hook up, head phones and a case. I love it. It's smaller that an ipod and has more space, charges faster and stays charged longer. :)

I bought a Rio for my older son and really likes it, he runs so it's a much better size and he is not so concerned with whether it's an Ipod or not. Everyone is happy. :D

I bought a Creative Zen 2 months ago. The music is great, but I actually wanted it more for Audio Books. My local library now has an agreement with Recorded books and you can download audio books! OK... I see some of you sitting there shaking your heads.... but to a book lover, this is wonderful!!

. My local library now has an agreement with Recorded books and you can download audio books! OK... I see some of you sitting there shaking your heads.... but to a book lover, this is wonderful!!

I completely understand. I've been downloading books at the local library. It comes in handy since I travel so much for work I listen to them on the plane or in the car. Less books/magazines for me to pack :D . I also rent paperbacks

Archived