Help- Oceanview rooms on Silhouette

NJCruisers

Hi All,

We are trying to decide between Oceanview rooms on the Silhouette. The choices are rooms that are basically port/starboard forward on deck 3 - Plaza Deck or forward (sandwiched between family suites) on deck 7 - Sunrise or deck 8 -Vista.

Plaza deck may be noisy because above it are Quasar (disco) or Celebrity Central (200 seat "lounge"). The other two decks don't seem to look directly at the water. What would be the view from deck 7 or 8? Do all you see is the front of the ship (sometimes used for the crew's pool)? Also, when looking at the ship, deck 9 shows windows, yet there are no rooms available. Would that be for the crew to lounge in, since it seems that deck 10 is where the captain's command center is located.

If you have been in any of these rooms, any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,

Pat

The forward rooms between the FVs are oversized and have large sloping windows looking forward, as you mention. No crew pool, just the helipad. We were in the FV and peeked into the OV's--they seemed like a great option, size wise--but. . .it is a very long walk to get anywhere. I was particularly frustrated by how long it took to get places. It was a 20 minute round trip to go to the buffet for a cup of coffee. Not that I couldn't use the exercise, but it was the time factor that bothered me.

On a subsequent cruise we booked midship at the elevators--what a difference, I loved it. Really made a difference in my enjoyment of the cruise, but that's just me. I am a very impatient person and always in a hurry, so of course YMMV.

We did stay in an AQ cabin right by the forward elevators once, and that was okay, seemed a reasonable distance to get places. Personally I'd never book so far forward again. . .

The forward rooms between the FVs are oversized and have large sloping windows looking forward, as you mention. No crew pool, just the helipad. We were in the FV and peeked into the OV's--they seemed like a great option, size wise--but. . .it is a very long walk to get anywhere. I was particularly frustrated by how long it took to get places. It was a 20 minute round trip to go to the buffet for a cup of coffee. Not that I couldn't use the exercise, but it was the time factor that bothered me.

On a subsequent cruise we booked midship at the elevators--what a difference, I loved it. Really made a difference in my enjoyment of the cruise, but that's just me. I am a very impatient person and always in a hurry, so of course YMMV.

We did stay in an AQ cabin right by the forward elevators once, and that was okay, seemed a reasonable distance to get places. Personally I'd never book so far forward again. . .

I saw that the MDR and Buffet are in the aft. As far as early morning coffee, I found it well worth it ($2 tip- hope I don't sound cheap...LOL) to have room service bring a continental breakfast or at least coffee. That is much easier than juggling 2 cups of coffee and croissants. I am more worried about the noise in the evening (from the night club) and the noise from the anchor. Was once on the Princess Emerald and heard the anchor or something mechanical very early in the morn. I am not expecting the same amenities (view, quiet) as a balcony. We have friend on the same cruise booked into the concierge category. Not sure that it would be worth an extra $400/pp.

Hi All,

We are trying to decide between Oceanview rooms on the Silhouette. The choices are rooms that are basically port/starboard forward on deck 3 - Plaza Deck or forward (sandwiched between family suites) on deck 7 - Sunrise or deck 8 -Vista.

Plaza deck may be noisy because above it are Quasar (disco) or Celebrity Central (200 seat "lounge"). The other two decks don't seem to look directly at the water. What would be the view from deck 7 or 8? Do all you see is the front of the ship (sometimes used for the crew's pool)? Also, when looking at the ship, deck 9 shows windows, yet there are no rooms available. Would that be for the crew to lounge in, since it seems that deck 10 is where the captain's command center is located.

If you have been in any of these rooms, any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat, I had an inside cabin on REFLECTION on deck 3 before.....it was

very quiet.....it was starboard, close to the Passport Bar. I didn't have

any noise issues from above. I would book a window in this same location

on Silhouette without any hesitation.:)

I have been in both locations, and very much prefer the Deck 3 because the Deck 7 involved HORRIBLE anchor chain noises each morning that we were anchoring at a tender port and lower-case horrible noise when we were docking. All the docking and anchoring cables come out from near those cabins. Also, the Deck 7 cabin only had one easy chair in addition to whatever was at the desk/vanity and the sloping front window didn't add to my sense of spaciousness. I am surprised each time I hear someone refer to these forward Deck 7 and Deck 8 cabins as "oversized," as I found the space better organized in the Deck 3 cabins.

I have stayed in an Oceanview cabin on Deck 7 (Sunrise).

Below was the helipad - it had good view forward, was a bright room (big window area), larger floor area than the regular oceanview/inside rooms ----

however :

inspite of having larger floor area, which runs under the sloping window, so the room does feel spacious (unfortunately this wasn't used to any advantage, whereas it actually could have held a single bed, or 2 couches, or a chest of drawers, or a cabinet .....) - instead of having the "usual" couch, it had 2 small narrow armchairs ;

worst of all was the horrendously loud noise when docking (chains/anchor?) - waking you early in morning (and docking was always much earlier than the published arrival time, eg. final morning was at 3am, although listed time was for 6am. I hadn't really intended to be up (roughly awoken) before 6am most mornings - however of course that depends on the itinerary, and whether you'd be up anyway).

So, it's a trade-off.

I have stayed in an Oceanview cabin on Deck 7 (Sunrise).

Below was the helipad - it had good view forward, was a bright room (big window area), larger floor area than the regular oceanview/inside rooms ----

however :

inspite of having larger floor area, which runs under the sloping window, so the room does feel spacious (unfortunately this wasn't used to any advantage, whereas it actually could have held a single bed, or 2 couches, or a chest of drawers, or a cabinet .....) - instead of having the "usual" couch, it had 2 small narrow armchairs ;

worst of all was the horrendously loud noise when docking (chains/anchor?) - waking you early in morning (and docking was always much earlier than the published arrival time, eg. final morning was at 3am, although listed time was for 6am. I hadn't really intended to be up (roughly awoken) before 6am most mornings - however of course that depends on the itinerary, and whether you'd be up anyway).

So, it's a trade-off.

You're very correct--I forgot to mention that in my post above. LOTS of noise and vibration in the early AM's--impossible to sleep through. All in all, I would not book an FV again on an S class ship--I was much happier in a standard balcony midship for many reasons. . .

Thanks to all of you for relaying your experiences. We decided that deck 3 would be better.

Pat

Hi Pat,:) my suggestion is to see if there is a window available starboard side and closer to

the Passport Bar...that would be aft, rather than one that is further forward.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Edited by Lois R