Evening menu on Dream

Never cruised with P&O and no inclination yet but suppose you would have to take gratituties and more expensive drinks into consideration,more so if you have AI with Thomson?

I agree Jim, but we don't usually have AI and on average we've paid about £300 each more for a 14 night Caribbean cruise on Thomson for each of the last three years as compared with that P&O price (of course you may be lucky enough to get a great last minute deal with Thomson - but we've failed to do so every year on these particular itineraries.) The P&O wine packages were a similar price to Thomson which we usually buy but with a better selection of wines so at the end of the day apart from the gratuities it would still be a good deal. (And then deduct from the gratuities what we would normally give our waiter, asst waiter, wine waiter and cabin steward - so not that much more in the end even on that score.)

The food we had on Aurora in the summer was definitely much better in the mdr than this last Thomson experience (although not a great deal better than previously on Thomson) so it does become a consideration. There was steak available quite frequently on P&O on the menu - not as a payable extra (a lady on my table asked for it every night if not!), there was a good selection of meat cuts like lamb shanks, every night waiters brought extra potatoes and vegetables in addition to those that came with your meal (very welcome in view of how little you get on Thomson) and the desserts were definitely more appealing.

Also since the Dream and one of the Celebration itineraries next season in the Caribbean have two sea days per week - like P&O, so there goes another reason to travel with Thomson.

So at the end of the day, the ambience, entertainment and emotional attachment to Thomson and their crew become the factors remaining in terms of choosing Thomson. It gives me no pleasure to think like this or to report it - I've loved all my Thomson cruises and dearly want to stick with them but the obvious cost cutting on food is begining to tell and giving me cause for concern :rolleyes:. The tipping point gets closer I'm sorry to say! I wish I could say differently Jim. :(

Edited by kruzseeka

Never cruised with P&O and no inclination yet but suppose you would have to take gratituties and more expensive drinks into consideration,more so if you have AI with Thomson?

I don't think you have to pay gratuities on P&O, you can remove them as we have done on RCI & Celebrity. Lets face it, even with included tips, most people tip their cabin stewards/waiters too :)

Joeholiday says the drinks are similar to or slightly dearer than Thomson. DH and I only drink beer or wine, so AI isn't really important to us, but I can see if you drink spirits, cocktails etc it would be :):)

I have just tried to do a like for like, mock booking for Ventura doing a similar cruise to mine on Thomson Dream in February with an outside, lower, fwd cabin. Unfortunately the getaway is sold out but the vantage is £2129 with flights from Gatwick whereas we have local flights with Thomson.

That is £400 each more than we paid with Thomson (when we booked in July) and also the current price with Thomson.

When we booked we got about 5 quotes for different cruise companies, airports, etc and Dream and Ventura were a lot cheaper than the others and considerably more convenient for travelling. Ventura was well over £100 each more on E Deck compared with Deck 6 on Dream, and not from our local airport meaning more travelling/hotel costs to add.

So, taking that into consideration, and 2 more ports of call, for us, Thomson seems a much better buy.

I'm just crossing my fingers that the meals are a bit more than just "acceptable" as 2 weeks is a long time if it is not. There again, someone else will be doing the shopping, cooking, serving and washing up and I am sure we will not go hungry....unless we get the "munchies" after 1.00am. :) :rolleyes:

I agree Jim, but we don't usually have AI and on average we've paid about £300 each more for a 14 night Caribbean cruise on Thomson for each of the last three years as compared with that P&O price (of course you may be lucky enough to get a great last minute deal with Thomson - but we've failed to do so every year on these particular itineraries.) The P&O wine packages were a similar price to Thomson which we usually buy but with a better selection of wines so at the end of the day apart from the gratuities it would still be a good deal. (And then deduct from the gratuities what we would normally give our waiter, asst waiter, wine waiter and cabin steward - so not that much more in the end even on that score.)

The food we had on Aurora in the summer was definitely much better in the mdr than this last Thomson experience (although not a great deal better than previously on Thomson) so it does become a consideration. There was steak available quite frequently on P&O on the menu - not as a payable extra (a lady on my table asked for it every night if not!), there was a good selection of meat cuts like lamb shanks, every night waiters brought extra potatoes and vegetables in addition to those that came with your meal (very welcome in view of how little you get on Thomson) and the desserts were definitely more appealing.

Also since the Dream and one of the Celebration itineraries next season in the Caribbean have two sea days per week - like P&O, so there goes another reason to travel with Thomson.

So at the end of the day, the ambience, entertainment and emotional attachment to Thomson and their crew become the factors remaining in terms of choosing Thomson. It gives me no pleasure to think like this or to report it - I've loved all my Thomson cruises and dearly want to stick with them but the obvious cost cutting on food is begining to tell and giving me cause for concern :rolleyes:. The tipping point gets closer I'm sorry to say! I wish I could say differently Jim. :(

Hi Kruz

Its a kind of swings and roundabouts scenario and very much what each individual looks for in a cruise and whats top of their tick list

eg we do tend to have AI ,neither myself of MJTS drink wine so not an issue there.Food,yes we like our food and like you found the food in the MDR on our last Dream cruise not as good as previous cruises,but thought the food in the "No longer 24hr Buffet" had improved somewhat.Always found something good to eat in both and never went hungry.When that becomes a major issue it may well be time to look elsewhere.Entertainment,Ambience/fellow cruisers are important factors to us also

I don't think you have to pay gratuities on P&O, you can remove them as we have done on RCI & Celebrity. Lets face it, even with included tips, most people tip their cabin stewards/waiters too :)

Joeholiday says the drinks are similar to or slightly dearer than Thomson. DH and I only drink beer or wine, so AI isn't really important to us, but I can see if you drink spirits, cocktails etc it would be :):)

Hi Linda,

Was always under the impression you had to pay gratuities on P&O but as you say we tip cabin stewards/waiters on Thomson

As I said above were not wine drinkers and without putting ourselves across as a pair of all day,all night raging drinkers we`ll happily indulge in whatever else is on the drinks list so AI for us is important in way of our spends :D

This is all getting very worrying - I have just looked at the last 3 reviews of the Dream on the review section here - they are NOT good - I do hope Thomson are reading these pages.

I have also heard from people on the Celebration at Christmas too and they are not happy ........

This is all getting very worrying - I have just looked at the last 3 reviews of the Dream on the review section here - they are NOT good - I do hope Thomson are reading these pages.

I have also heard from people on the Celebration at Christmas too and they are not happy ........

I have just read 1 and half of another review, Julie, and I had to stop reading. I feel gutted! I have a positive attitude to life and will go on our Dream cruise in February with the full intention of enjoying myself and hope my friends will do so as well. However, if it is as bad as this, I will be cancelling the one we have booked in September and will be very disappointed to do so.

Yes, I have been to a number of Platinum hotels and it is difficult to understand how they decide on what is Platinum, although I know it is supposed to be based on the customer surveys that are filled out. If that is so, and these reviews are an example of what others think, then they should stop advertising it as Platinum. And tell their TAs to stop selling the Dream as if it is the best Thomson ship in the fleet!

You can remove or reduce the gratuities on P&O. It's £3.50 each per day.

We had them halved as we felt the service was not that good, and then tipped the cabin Stewardess separately.

The drinks were not too dear, I was mainly drinking bottled (500ml) london pride, think it was £3.45 or £3.25 a bottle. The Draught beer was £3.70 a pint.

The 6 bottle red wine package was really good, £90, but the quality was excellent, all nice wines that are normally priced around £18, so a good saving. The house wine was around £9 for half a carafe and £16 for a litre, this too was really good quality.

We like a G&T before dinner and usually have a couple each on Thomsons, we didn't bother on P&O, and had our own in the cabin as we got ready, I think they wanted around £3.70 for the gin and the tiny mixer cans were 90p each, so that worked out quite dear. You also have to bear in mind the Thomson (official) measures are 40ml, the P&O are a standard 25ml and that would have been measured rather than the usual 5 second pour on a Thomson ship...;)

Whilst I have said I am glad to be back on the Majesty next, I wouldn't discount trying another P&O, maybe the Ventura as Geo seems to like it. It's just the staff are not as friendly and the entertainment not as good. The food was on a par we have had on previous Thomson ships.

Reading some of the latest reviews of Dream and Celebration is worrying though regarding the food and the cut backs on staff levels.

Thomson need to sort it soon, otherwise they may lose pax to other lines and they may never come back.

I have just read 1 and half of another review, Julie, and I had to stop reading. I feel gutted! I have a positive attitude to life and will go on our Dream cruise in February with the full intention of enjoying myself and hope my friends will do so as well. However, if it is as bad as this, I will be cancelling the one we have booked in September and will be very disappointed to do so.

Yes, I have been to a number of Platinum hotels and it is difficult to understand how they decide on what is Platinum, although I know it is supposed to be based on the customer surveys that are filled out. If that is so, and these reviews are an example of what others think, then they should stop advertising it as Platinum. And tell their TAs to stop selling the Dream as if it is the best Thomson ship in the fleet!

Please don't let my views on the food stop you looking forward to your cruise Jakanne. This is the danger of reviews - it's got to be taken in the round. It is certainly not my intention to spoil anyone's anticipation of their holiday but in trying to report my honestly held opinions of the cruise I don't think I should ignore something which isn't up to previous standards. But that was all it was - one aspect wasn't up to our previous experiences. And as has been pointed out, it is only one opinion - and look at the different views held about Majesty!! :D

It's not 'as bad as that'. It honestly isn't! It's just not as good as before. On the positive side, many people are reporting good food in the self-service and we found the breakfasts and lunches very good in all venues. :)In fact the lunches in the main dining room were particularly good - sometimes offering better meat cuts than in the evening. My comments are based solely on a reduced choice and quality of meat in the evening in the mdr as compared with previous Thomson cruises - on any of their ships. That's why it was so disappointing but what we had was well presented and cooked. Yes, we definitely ate well enough but with three weeks on board the reliance on pork and absence of some dishes we'd always had in the past (beef wellington, lamb shanks etc) represented a decline in standards - cost-cutting really, or so I think.

But even taking that into account, Dream is still my favourite Thomson ship and for what it's worth, I'm quite happy to give it another chance but I would like to see an improvement i. e. similar menu to that we had a year ago rather than last month's. I'd come with you given the chance! :D

And with a fab itinerary, wonderful weather and the beautiful Caribbean I'm sure you will have a great time so do look forward to a wonderful experience. If you've not done a similar itinerary before you have a treat in store. And who knows perhaps they will have taken note of the recent feedback and done something about it! I do hope so. Enjoy! :);)

Some of the reviews, mine included, have been very hard hitting and quite rightly so, in terms of quality of food in the MDR and service and I hope Thomson are listening.

I would, however, like to say that we booked today for the Caribbean 2015 on the Celebration and I am to some extent disappointed it is not the Dream, as I would like to travel on her again, no doubt about that. Thomson cannot afford to ignore what we, their loyal customers, are saying or they will be in grave danger of losing droves of customers. Despite these pretty major complaints, we had probably our best holiday ever on the recent TA and the comments have to be taken in the context of all of the positive aspects of the cruise.

I have been cast as one of the demonic people who dislike the Majesty because I don't like the pool deck, the prom deck and in general the outside space. I have said time and again that we had a wonderful holiday on the Maj, the crew, the food and the entertainment were fab, but along the way these positive comments have been forgotten. So, for the avoidance of any doubt WE LOVED THE DREAM...SORRY FOR SHOUTING :D. Jakanne and Julie and all others who are due to go, all I can say is I am jealous and would love to join you and to Thoms......sort out the food sharpish and emply more staff ;)

Some of the reviews, mine included, have been very hard hitting and quite rightly so, in terms of quality of food in the MDR and service and I hope Thomson are listening.

I would, however, like to say that we booked today for the Caribbean 2015 on the Celebration and I am to some extent disappointed it is not the Dream, as I would like to travel on her again, no doubt about that. Thomson cannot afford to ignore what we, their loyal customers, are saying or they will be in grave danger of losing droves of customers. Despite these pretty major complaints, we had probably our best holiday ever on the recent TA and the comments have to be taken in the context of all of the positive aspects of the cruise.

I have been cast as one of the demonic people who dislike the Majesty because I don't like the pool deck, the prom deck and in general the outside space. I have said time and again that we had a wonderful holiday on the Maj, the crew, the food and the entertainment were fab, but along the way these positive comments have been forgotten. So, for the avoidance of any doubt WE LOVED THE DREAM...SORRY FOR SHOUTING :D. Jakanne and Julie and all others who are due to go, all I can say is I am jealous and would love to join you and to Thoms......sort out the food sharpish and emply more staff ;)

Thanks Eleanor - let's just hope they do this do then; my parents; experienced cruisers & travellers WOULD hesitate to return on the Dream - they said that it was not as good as their previous cruises on the Destiny & Celebration - the service & the food standards have definitely slipped!

I am sure you will not however be disappointed with the Celebration!

Edited by Julessmiles

Thanks Eleanor - let's just hope they do this do then; my parents; experienced cruisers & travellers WOULD hesitate to return on the Dream - they said that it was not as good as their previous cruises on the Destiny & Celebration - the service & the food standards have definitely slipped!

I am sure you will not however be disappointed with the Celebration!

I hope so, Jules :)

Please don't let my views on the food stop you looking forward to your cruise Jakanne. This is the danger of reviews - it's got to be taken in the round. It is certainly not my intention to spoil anyone's anticipation of their holiday but in trying to report my honestly held opinions of the cruise I don't think I should ignore something which isn't up to previous standards. But that was all it was - one aspect wasn't up to our previous experiences. And as has been pointed out, it is only one opinion - and look at the different views held about Majesty!!

It's not 'as bad as that'. It honestly isn't! It's just not as good as before. On the positive side, many people are reporting good food in the self-service and we found the breakfasts and lunches very good in all venues. In fact the lunches in the main dining room were particularly good - sometimes offering better meat cuts than in the evening. My comments are based solely on a reduced choice and quality of meat in the evening in the mdr as compared with previous Thomson cruises - on any of their ships. That's why it was so disappointing but what we had was well presented and cooked. Yes, we definitely ate well enough but with three weeks on board the reliance on pork and absence of some dishes we'd always had in the past (beef wellington, lamb shanks etc) represented a decline in standards - cost-cutting really, or so I think.

But even taking that into account, Dream is still my favourite Thomson ship and for what it's worth, I'm quite happy to give it another chance but I would like to see an improvement i. e. similar menu to that we had a year ago rather than last month's. I'd come with you given the chance! :D

And with a fab itinerary, wonderful weather and the beautiful Caribbean I'm sure you will have a great time so do look forward to a wonderful experience. If you've not done a similar itinerary before you have a treat in store. And who knows perhaps they will have taken note of the recent feedback and done something about it! I do hope so. Enjoy! :);)

Kruzseeka, thank you, that was so sweet of you to write all this, but it wasn't your review I was referring to...it was the new reviews on the CC review page. I very much value your reviews, as you must know. :)

Don't worry, we are going to enjoy ourselves in the Caribbean and you can come as well. :). It's the cruise in September with DH I am concerned about.....he does like his food and descent wines, and he is not referred to as Grumpy Old Man for nothing. :D

Edited by Jakanne1

I have sailed on Celebration and Dream and loved both but prefer Dream. I am really looking forward to another trip in July. It is a lovely friendly ship with great entertainment. The food is fine. Not top restaurant standard but I found plenty to enjoy.

Thank you too, Nell, for your reassurances. The same applies to what I have just written to Kruzseeka. :).

And congratulations on booking for the Caribbean 2015. Hope you got a Scottish flight. :)

our friends have just returned from the dream (so this is second hand)

they are saying that yes the food quality in mdr (for them) has declined since last christmas, but that is not to say that there is little choice or that you wont find something that you like (thoms always have plenty of choice) daytime buffet choices appear to be unchanged

reports of food quality does concern me a little tho, mainly because i do like to come away from a restaurant feeling that I had just enjoyed something special and not just another sausage and mash/quiche & chips meal that i could rustle up myself at home...a perfectly nice meal just not special

what does really concern me is the fact that the restaurants now close at 1am, our friends have reported that not even the coffee station is open after 1am and that they were not even able to get a glass of water from the dispensers....when they asked for coffee they were told to order from room service? they didnt want room service they wanted to enjoy a coffee with friends on deck 10, as we also like to do in the evenings before retiring (in fact this was how we met them and became friends in the first place)

Thank you too, Nell, for your reassurances. The same applies to what I have just written to Kruzseeka. :).

And congratulations on booking for the Caribbean 2015. Hope you got a Scottish flight. :)

Thanks, Jakanne Flying from Manchester unfortunately and in February too :eek: I believe we can take the train from Edinburgh directly to the airport though and if the trains are off jump in the car.

When I took my first sip of rose house wine on the Dream I thought "what on earth is that?" :D but after the first glass it wasn't too bad. DH said the red wasn't the best he'd ever had but he drank it ;)

At least you are going with the girls first and can judge whether your DH will like the Dream or not and you would still have time to change it. I honestly think you will be fine :cool:

Hello! We go on Dream this month for a week. I'm reading all sorts about the quality of food in the MDR. We've done many cruises (Ocean Village, P&O, Cunard, Azamara) but it's our first Thomson one so we won't be comparing their current meals with anything previous. Some seem to be saying that the self-service is preferable to the MDR? If so, is it worth packing my OH's dinner suit for the one formal night if we may be giving the MDR a miss? It's a big chunk of the luggage allowance. Any advice or comments welcome! Thanks.

hello wacktle...the problem is....food is a very subjective subject...dream food is very much geared to british tastes and not of an international style that you would get on p&o and probably other lines

I can only speak from my own experience of the food last winter, I haven’t been on dream since then? things may have changed?

But imo

the food is not bad, there are plenty of choices, some days are better than others and often you can be pleasantly surprised by something that you previously didnt think you would like....but it really does depend on what you like

there is always the grill or steak under the stars (pay extra) but a reasonable surcharge compared to ventura imo

and waiters are extremely helpful and will rustle up something for you out of nowhere if you really dont like anything on offer or have dietary requirements (or fussy kids)....they really will bend over backwards

I would Definately go to the formal night but you don't need a dinner suit. Many do wear them but many don't. A sort and trousers are acceptable if you want to save space. Personally I like to dress up but don't feel you have to. Thomsons is quite relaxed

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated. However, if he doesn't wear a dinner suit on the formal night, we'll still need to pack a suit for him that he'd only wear once? Or is it trousers, jacket & tie?