Balcony to Inside

tlw440

Yes... for us it was tough. We still had a great cruise, but really missed being able to step outside for fresh air, watch the ocean, star gazing at night, and coming in and out of ports which is one of my favorite times to be on the balcony. I was also surprised at just how much smaller those insides really are. You could barely walk on either side of the bed. Very little floor space, although storage and bathroom were the same.

I didn't realize how much we used the balcony until we didn't have one. It might not be in long stretches, but often one of us will be in the shower or getting ready for dinner while the other sits on the balcony and enjoys the scenery and I really missed that. Not quite the same sitting on a bed in a dark, closet-like room waiting.

Yes, we did. Won't do it again. We thought, we're only going for 4 dYs (instead of our usual 7), let's just save the money and try an inside. This was the Feb 7 sailing on the Triumph. Yep, the fire. Luckily the people across the hall from us were awesome and kept their cabin door and balcony door propped open so we could get some air.

Now, obviously that was a fluke, however I won't book an inside again. :)

Yes... for us it was tough. We still had a great cruise, but really missed being able to step outside for fresh air, watch the ocean, star gazing at night, and coming in and out of ports which is one of my favorite times to be on the balcony. I was also surprised at just how much smaller those insides really are. You could barely walk on either side of the bed. Very little floor space, although storage and bathroom were the same.

I didn't realize how much we used the balcony until we didn't have one. It might not be in long stretches, but often one of us will be in the shower or getting ready for dinner while the other sits on the balcony and enjoys the scenery and I really missed that. Not quite the same sitting on a bed in a dark, closet-like room waiting.

Thanks, we love the balcony too but was thinking about inside because of the price difference.

Yes, we did. Won't do it again. We thought, we're only going for 4 dYs (instead of our usual 7), let's just save the money and try an inside. This was the Feb 7 sailing on the Triumph. Yep, the fire. Luckily the people across the hall from us were awesome and kept their cabin door and balcony door propped open so we could get some air.

Now, obviously that was a fluke, however I won't book an inside again. :)

One of the first things my mom and I said after we heard about the fire was that we would always get a balcony! It wouldn't be much but at least it would be fresh air.

We have been doing suites and balconies for 30 years but are now doing inside rooms. It is Carnival's smoking policy that has us running to the inside. On our 15 day Hawaii cruise we could use our balcony for appx. 2 hours total. Not smokers fault they have the right to smoke on balcony just unfortunate we had chain smokers next to on both sides and above and below us.

I bounce back and forth, depending on availability, and price, and frankly don't see a lot of difference for our life style. Yep, it's nice to be able to go out on the balcony to get fresh air, etc., but it's also nice to be able to settle down in the nice dark cabin in the afternoon, for my nap. :cool: I'm very happy with either one. Just get me aboard for the FUN, FUN, FUN!

"SKY"

I have gone from a balcony to an inside, back to a balcony and about to do another inside in a few weeks. It hasn't bothered me.

I would recommend booking an inside that has quick and easy access to an open deck such as on the Lido or near one of the "secret" decks forward of the ship.

Edited by babsee101

I've actually always wanted an inside. I love the idea of a ton of light NOT shining into the room first thing in the morning.

Also, you can get plenty of sunshine throughout the ship without having a balcony. If anything, I'd think it would motivate you to be up and about enjoying meeting new people, etc.

I don't really see the point of having a balcony when you could just go to a deck and sit in a lounge chair and have more room instead of being confined to a chair in an enclosed space.

Had this same talk with my husband. I got overruled... Again... :mad:

we have done both and do insides alot now so we can cruise more often....:)

on our upcoming cruise in April, we booked a french door cabin-this catagory is new to us...

looking forward to being able to get some light in and fresh air!! :)

Marsha

Has anyone booked balconies for several cruises and then gone to inside? We have never done a inside, only oceanview and balcony. :confused::D

No! Too claustrophobic, I would go bezerk if I were ever in an inside cabin. Even an ocean view cabin gives me some problems.

We've done mostly insides with a balcony and a Promenade (on RCCL) thrown in. Went back to insides and are next has a balcony. It's whatever we can afford to let us on the cruise :) Our last cruise we were in upper and lowers even! So obviously, it doesn't affect us.

So far I've been on 8 cruises-all have been insides, or with some variations-for example: a couple have been true insides-which I liked for afternoon naps, as it was so dark; one had the french doors, which was nice for the light and the fresh air, and being able to see the sea; twice I had the cabins with the port holes-good value! in 2 weeks, I'll be in my 1st balcony-a Cloud 9 on the spa deck-(was upgraded from an o.v.-very excited:D)-I know I will enjoy it, but don't think I'd have a problem going back to an inside cabin, depending on money (or lack of it!;)), if I had to. I could be wrong-we'll find out! Happy cruising!:cool:

We have done a few cruises in a balcony cabin and loved it! We did one cruise in an inside room and won't do that again unless we absolutely have to. On Fantasy class ships we do the porthole rooms that are priced less than oceanview but still have plenty of light coming in. On Conquest class, we have discovered the 4J category cabins that have the window and large open deck directly in front of the ship. These 4J cabins run about $500 cheaper than balcony cabins on a 7 day cruise. With our budget, this allows us to cruise more often.

I've had balconies twice.....really didn't use them very much (had to force myself to sit there and eat something...but I would have preferred to be eating it in the buffet!).

I like insides....dark, quiet....great for sleeping.

DH likes "light".

I've I get a good upsell on the currently booked cruise....I'd go for it (marital harmony)...but I'm just as happy inside.

Has anyone booked balconies for several cruises and then gone to inside? We have never done a inside, only oceanview and balcony. :confused::D

We had always had Lido balconies, but at the last minute decided to turn our Valor cruise into a B2B. There were no more Lido balconies so we went to lido inside for the second week. We did not mind it. We are trying a 4J (interior with window) on our next trip. We used the balcony so little on our Jan. Hawaii cruise we wished we would have saved the money and went with an interior.

I bounce back and forth, depending on availability, and price, and frankly don't see a lot of difference for our life style. Yep, it's nice to be able to go out on the balcony to get fresh air, etc., but it's also nice to be able to settle down in the nice dark cabin in the afternoon, for my nap. :cool: I'm very happy with either one. Just get me aboard for the FUN, FUN, FUN!

"SKY"

I agree. I am claustrophobic, but have always wanted to try an inside because of the price difference. Sailed on the Pride and had an inside cabin with twin beds and I was surprised at all the room we had. I have been in both balcony and ocean view and must say for the price difference I would definitely go inside again. Though if having more than 2 people in a room....that may change things. And yes FUN, FUN, FUN is what is all about. I say try it and see.

We had balconies for our first 6 cruises and we decided to try an inside for the price difference. Very surprised it did not bother us at all and because it is completely dark during the day with the lights off, we were able to take an hour snooze before dinner. We also were out wandering the ship more with an inside. The next 3 cruises we have are inside, ocean view and balcony and we are looking forward to each one.

we book the occasional balcony for special occassions but for the most part book insides. We don't use the balcony very much and since the insides are so much cheaper we can oft times squeeze in an extra cruise during the year with the savings.

Bill