Amazing Cozumel Race

vtroper

My wife and I just returned from the Brilliance of the Seas Dec 30th sailing and after consulting Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor for what we should do while in Cozumel, settled on The Amazing Race Cozumel on Thursday Jan 2nd. I'll share my entire trip advisor post below as well, but would be happy to answer any questions for anyone on the fence about whether they should do this or not.

After attempting to do the Amazing Race Cozumel back in the summer of 2012 when we were visiting Cozumel on the Disney Fantasy but having it canceled because there weren't enough other racers signed up that day to race, we were cautiously optimistic that we would be able to race this time. While The Amazing Race: Cozumel is an excursion currently offered to cruisers directly thru Carnival cruise lines, it is not offered through the other cruise lines so if you're interested in doing it and not sailing with Carnival you'll need to book directly through their LARF website.

While I won't give too many details of the actual race away since the surprise was a big part of the fun, The Amazing Race Cozumel was without question the best thing we did on this cruise and one of our favorite excursions we've done at any port. It is very well organized and as many of the other reviews have suggested, allows you to see parts of Cozumel that are off the beaten path. For those that are fans of the CBS Reality show of the same name, many of the puzzles and challenges you have to solve in order to figure out where you're supposed to go next will look familiar. While we were in it to win it, some of the teams approached it with a more leisurely pace and enjoyed it equally as a scavenger hunt. It is an excursion I highly recommend whether or not you're looking for an active couple hours or just something memorable to do with friends and family.

Another vote for the Amazing Race! We participated in this excursion and had a great time. It was really about the only family activity our 15 year old participated in willingly but both boys(15 and 10) and both parents had fun. The staff was friendly and helpful, the 'secret agents' along the way and even random townspeople were great to meet.

A couple of notes, the weather was pretty bad right until time to start, Carnival gave us the option of canceling with no penalty, I was very glad we put on ponchos and stuck it out. Due to the weather, part of our race had to be altered, we got lunch as compensation. It was delicious and fairly authentic. You will walk, or run, about 4 miles, if you get the clues right, just be aware of that. You will have to talk to the locals, everyone we met was very nice and many if the nearby vendors helped us or were encouraging, but if speaking to strangers scares you, do something else, but you'll miss out on a great time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wondering what time you reached port on RCL to get to the race on time. Freedom is scheduled to dock at 10 and the race starts at 10:30. Can we make it there on time?

The starting time might vary, but we met our guide at 11:30 to begin. The initial set up took place at the piers and everyone had their clue packets and signed waivers before boarding a taxi ( included in excursion) to the start. If you're ready to get off the ship when it docks, I bet you can make it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wondering what time you reached port on RCL to get to the race on time. Freedom is scheduled to dock at 10 and the race starts at 10:30. Can we make it there on time?

Cozumel is an hour behind ship time (Central time) so their 10:30 is 11:30 boat time. You'll have more than enough time to get off the Freedom and get to Margaritaville for the starting point.

Have a great time...

We did this a couple of years ago - what a "large" time.

It was my birthday and they had cake and tequila shots at the finish.

One of the most fun excursions we've ever done. (in almost 40 cruises)

Hope to try it again some day -

Plus if you're a fan of the show - you will gain so much respect for the participants.

Amazing the simple things that can slow you down during the pressure of the race.

Pretty sure we ended up fourth out of about 12 teams -but everyone was a winner.

• 2 weeks later...
we are signed up to race in February.

Can you please tell me how long the race takes and if everyone waits for the last team to arrive or if you are free to leave... just worried about our DD getting bored.

You'll have to post how it went. We're going to be on the Dream the first week of March, and I really would like to try this. I'd love to hear about your experience.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
No need for a lot of details but I would like to know if non-drinkers would do okay on this excursion? I know from time to time on the CBS show, they will have to down a beer or something similar. Any insight about this?

we did this a couple years ago, and there is no drinking involved in the game. You end at a restaurant which, if I recall, includes a drink and chips/salsa. We all got soda. Many were purchasing beer; however, it is not a requirement. When you get to the restaurant, you are waiting for the other racers to finish.

we are signed up to race in February.

Can you please tell me how long the race takes and if everyone waits for the last team to arrive or if you are free to leave... just worried about our DD getting bored.

You end at a restaurant, and all the finishers wait at the restaurant for everyone to finish. The guide has a headcount of racers, so you would not want to drop out of the race. They will not leave you behind, so they would all continue waiting for your arrival. Once everyone arrives, they announce the winners. While waiting, you are free to order food, drinks, chips, etc... When its over, they shuttle you back to the pier.

Loved the amazing race! Cant wait to do it again!

You'll have to post how it went. We're going to be on the Dream the first week of March, and I really would like to try this. I'd love to hear about your experience.

Have fun!

It was a lot of fun! DD is 5 and she had no problems keeping up. There were a couple of things that she could even do (I don't want to give anything away). The fastest team finished in 1.5 hrs and we were just over 2 hrs. The last team was almost 2.5 hrs. Apparently the winners are usually at 2 hrs so our day was extremely competitive! At the end you get 2 drink tickets and some chips and salsa. The drink tickets can be used for beer or soft drinks, or use both for a margarita!

How long does this race average? Will we have time to do anything after we finish?

The average is 2 - 2.5 hrs for the race. The excursion didn't meet until 11, so there was a bit of time to walk around before it started, but there is not a lot to see around the port. One group met us downtown, so if you are more adventurous, I would probably recommend arranging to meet the group downtown and walk around that area. It is too far to walk there, but cabs were cheep.

We did this a couple of years ago - what a "large" time.

It was my birthday and they had cake and tequila shots at the finish.

One of the most fun excursions we've ever done. (in almost 40 cruises)

Hope to try it again some day -

Plus if you're a fan of the show - you will gain so much respect for the participants.

Amazing the simple things that can slow you down during the pressure of the race.

Pretty sure we ended up fourth out of about 12 teams -but everyone was a winner.

We are huge fans of the show and totally felt like the "snippy" team!!! :)

It was a lot of fun! DD is 5 and she had no problems keeping up. There were a couple of things that she could even do (I don't want to give anything away). The fastest team finished in 1.5 hrs and we were just over 2 hrs. The last team was almost 2.5 hrs. Apparently the winners are usually at 2 hrs so our day was extremely competitive! At the end you get 2 drink tickets and some chips and salsa. The drink tickets can be used for beer or soft drinks, or use both for a margarita!

That's great to hear. I can't wait! My poor husband will definitely bear the brunt of my wrath during the race. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this last week with our 12 year old and we won!!! It was so much fun and really well organized. I recommend it to everyone. This was my 4th time in Cozumel and it was definitely the funnest excursion we have ever done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, do you need to have a lot of knowledge about Mexico (culture, etc.) to play.

No. The locals are involved in the game as well. If you ever get stuck or have a hard time with anything, there is always somebody nearby to help.

This was one of the best things I've ever done. It was VERY hot but that didn't bother me.