Day trip from Venice post-cruise

Adventures ahead

Next Sept will be our fifth visit to Venice - once by coach tour and four by cruise ships. We'll have an overnight on the ship, then two nights in a hotel, giving us a full day to do something different. We've done day tours to Murano and Burano, and slept over on Lido two nights when in Venice, and are considering a train ride to a nearby city or town. If we head out of Venice the same day we disembark, we could actually stay overnight somewhere other than Venice. I think we'd want to return to Venice for the the second night so we could be nearer the airport for our 1pm flight back to Canada the next day. Mind you, switching hotels eats up precious time while toting luggage.

Given our scenario, I'm looking for more suggestions on what to do. On one post, I found these travel times by train:

Padua - 30 minutes

Treviso - 30 minutes

Vicenza - 45 minutes

Verona - 60-70 minutes. On our coach tour, we stopped here for lunch and went to Juliet's balcony.

I also found a posting on vaporetto/bus adventure to Chioggia with a stop at Pellestrina.

We're not huge fans of visiting churches or museums (typically prefer to be outside than inside - short inside visits are ok) and enjoy visiting places that are walkable with pedestrian areas for window shopping and cafes or picturesque villages. We prefer public transportation and do enjoy seeing what an area is famous for. My husband likes visiting areas with war-time significance (his dad was overseas in WW2) and we both love walking on beaches - yes, soup to nuts! Before I further research these places online, any suggestions? (BTW, we don't speak Italian!:eek:)

In October 2013 we drove to Venice from Florence by way of Verona. We found Verona to be a very nice place to visit.

We had lunch at one of the outdoor cafes near the colosseum then did a bit of exploring on foot.

Verona by train would be a straight shot from Venice.

Lew

Lake Garda would be lovely in September. You could take the train to Peschiera and then a boat trip on the lake out to Sirmione (or you can get there by bus), where you can visit the castle, wander the medieval old town (all pedestrian, good for walkers), or take a walk along the lake shore.

The train trip from Venice takes 90 minutes.

Here is some information on the town's web site: http://www.sirmionebs.it/italian/enjoysirmione.php?iExpand2=360

Edited by euro cruiser

Lake Garda would be lovely in September. You could take the train to Peschiera and then a boat trip on the lake out to Sirmione (or you can get there by bus), where you can visit the castle, wander the medieval old town (all pedestrian, good for walkers), or take a walk along the lake shore.

The train trip from Venice takes 90 minutes.

Here is some information on the town's web site: http://www.sirmionebs.it/italian/enjoysirmione.php?iExpand2=360

I didn't know about Lake Garda (yet:)) as an option, and it looks great.

Can anyone else comment on the other destinations?