Formal night dress

audobon_tx

We noticed Carnival being less formal than our cruises on Princess from Hawaii, Alaska, and the Caribbean. We found ,to our surprise ,Alaska was the less formal on formal night But the others Princess cruises have been traditional and we found dark suits and tuxes. My husband says, why not dress up for you a couple of nights on a vacation , we've been planing and looking forward to. That's what caught my eye 17 years ago. We are in business wear all year long and enjoy a dress up night that does't have the company air about it. So I say dress what makes you comfortable it's your vacation!

We've done the Hawaiian cruise on Princess three times and found that passengers tended to get dressed up on formal nights (and there's three formal nights). It's not the same as the typical Caribbean crowd, IMO. Now, there was a man who sat a couple of tables away from us on that last cruise, and he wore a dress shirt (not white) without jacket or tie on the formal nights. So I guess the maitre'd for Canaletto's thought it was fine. But there were many of tuxes and suits (my hubby wore a sports jacket and tie). Of course, it could have been that those cruises were over the holidays and maybe people were getting into a celebratory mood by dressing up.

My two cruises on Princess were out of Hong Kong and Buenos Aires. I wore black evening pants and an embellished top for formal nights. My husband wore dark slacks, a blazer, dress shirt and tie. we were more dressed up than some, less dressed up than others.

My two cruises on Princess were out of Hong Kong and Buenos Aires. I wore black evening pants and an embellished top for formal nights. My husband wore dark slacks, a blazer, dress shirt and tie. we were more dressed up than some, less dressed up than others.

Your DH dress is what I plan to do on my first Princess cruise formal nights. Thanks.

This is the norm for my DH BUT he is a big guy so most times the jacket goes once he is seated. I saw fellas with long sleeve shirt and tie.

11722582526_377f43be7d.jpg

[/url] , r

11731377895_4fe1307ab6.jpg

I am certain that this topic has been discussed in the past but dress codes are evolving across the cruise industry so I was wondering if the requirement for men to wear a tux or dark suit and tie on formal nights in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants is still enforced on Princess (Caribbean Princess in particular)? Apologies if this has been recently discussed.

Yes it has been cussed and discussed and I see the fashion police are on the roll per usual. Formal nights in the MDR is getting less and less formal just in the 10 years I have been cruising. I wear a long sleeved button shirt, khaki docker pants and shoes without tie and have since I started cruising. I have never been turned away nor have I seen anyone else turned away.

As for my personal observations made mostly while waiting in line to get in the MDR or sitting in the areas in front of the MDR people watching (my favorite ship hobby). Few wear tux, many wear suits, large group in sport coats and significant number in shirt/pants/tie. One thing I have noticed is the number of men in suits with no tie and the coat hanging open. I have also noticed that the dress is becoming less formal and that the fancy clothes come off after dinner going back to their usual cruising attire.

Speciality restaurants do not require formal wear and on formal nights tend to be crowded. Plan ahead.

Yes it has been cussed and discussed and I see the fashion police are on the roll per usual. Formal nights in the MDR is getting less and less formal just in the 10 years I have been cruising. I wear a long sleeved button shirt, khaki docker pants and shoes without tie and have since I started cruising. I have never been turned away nor have I seen anyone else turned away.

As for my personal observations made mostly while waiting in line to get in the MDR or sitting in the areas in front of the MDR people watching (my favorite ship hobby). Few wear tux, many wear suits, large group in sport coats and significant number in shirt/pants/tie. One thing I have noticed is the number of men in suits with no tie and the coat hanging open. I have also noticed that the dress is becoming less formal and that the fancy clothes come off after dinner going back to their usual cruising attire.

Speciality restaurants do not require formal wear and on formal nights tend to be crowded. Plan ahead.

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

On a side note, my uncle was not permitted to enter the main dining room on the Epic because he had on Bermuda shorts. He had to go change.

I've seen people in jean shirts/jeans turned away. It seems that if you give an honest effort to conform to the "policy," you'll be fine. If it looks like you're just flaunting it, probably not.