Suggestions for a Jamaica tour for the non-physically adventurous?

Peggyd.73

Stopping in Jamaica (Falmouth) on my upcoming RCCL cruise in March and am trying to decide what to do while in port.

This will be the first trip to Jamaica for both my friend and I, so we want to experience the island highlights. However, neither of us are into the adventure stuff like cliff jumping or Tarzan swings into water. I think I'd like to see Dunn's river falls but don't have any intention of trying to climb (have pretty lousy balance).

A lot of the tours I've seen from exploring these boards seem focused on the adventure tours. Hoping for some different suggestions from this group.

THANKS!

Oh there is a lot to do and see that is not physically adventerous. Check out rafting on the Martha Brae, Rockland Bird Sanctuary, Wassi Art Pottery Studio in Ocho Rios, Tour the Rose Hall Great house and it's ghost stories, Appleton Rum Estate tour, etc. There's a lot to do that doesn't require very much physical activity.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've traveling with a girl friend, so the river rafting probably won't work (looks like a couples thing) but I'll look into the other suggestions.

I'd definitely like to have something booked before we embark!

Stopping in Jamaica (Falmouth) on my upcoming RCCL cruise in March and am trying to decide what to do while in port.

This will be the first trip to Jamaica for both my friend and I, so we want to experience the island highlights. However, neither of us are into the adventure stuff like cliff jumping or Tarzan swings into water. I think I'd like to see Dunn's river falls but don't have any intention of trying to climb (have pretty lousy balance).

A lot of the tours I've seen from exploring these boards seem focused on the adventure tours. Hoping for some different suggestions from this group.

THANKS!

Guess I should have looked at the threads before I posted a new thread :o

My husband and I are looking for the same type of tour to do, and we're not into the adventurous stuff either....we just like sightseeing and learning about the history :D

You can just walk around Falmouth inside the gates, or if you don't want to go too far away, they have buses going to Rose Hall. Shops on each side, and a few restaurants. Benches to sit on and ppl watch or have an ice cream. You can also take a tour of the hall if you want. Rose Hall is the closest thing to Falmouth in the way of an excursion. Mo Bay and Ocho Rios is father away. Its been a few years since Ive been to Falmouth, and they might have something new. I was on one of the first ever cruise ships to visit Falmouth and they were not even finished with any of the shops or buildings right inside the gates. But, the ppl were very nice and came out to greet us. Some walking on stilts but all singing, dancing and entertaining us. Next trip, they had this area finished, but I do know they have added more things. Its still not the hustle bustle of MB or OR, yet!

I usually have real good experiences by walking off the ship and finding a taxi (pay attention to the license plate one is good and other picks up friends and rob passengers. We were warned by our CD). We were in Ochoa Rios, the guy took us around the island for $25 per person. We were gone 4 1/2 hours and I do not think there was much we missed.

When we were there in October we went to turtle River Falls, used to be enchanted gardens, in Ochos Rios. I would highly suggest it, it's a botanical garden that you walk around and have your own personal guide and photographer, so he explains the plants to you and there are some smaller waterfalls/pools that you can go in. By having your own photographer they capture the candid moments, as well as the posed ones. At the end of the tour there's an aviary where you can hand feed the birds. When we went we are the only ones there and it felt like our own Paradise. I believe the cd of pics was about$25. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to experience the falls and beauty of Jamaica, but knows they are not physically inclined to climb Dunns River. It also has wonderful reviews on TripAdvisor.com

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...
If you are going to Ocho Rios instead of Dunn'e River consider The Blue Hole

9463409322_ddebbf7be5.jpg

9463409530_5085d043e4.jpg

, on Flickr

The blue hole looks great but how do you get to it? Is it a long walk and on even ground? Have a few mobility issues but would love to do this if it would work.

Oh there is a lot to do and see that is not physically adventerous. Check out rafting on the Martha Brae, Rockland Bird Sanctuary, Wassi Art Pottery Studio in Ocho Rios, Tour the Rose Hall Great house and it's ghost stories, Appleton Rum Estate tour, etc. There's a lot to do that doesn't require very much physical activity.

Does anyone know if Wassii is open or reopened? I read that they weren't open anymore. We were there a few years ago and stopped there and saw some beautiful pottery/sculptures but it was at the beginning of the tour and I thought that we would be stopping at other places that would have the same thing.:mad: I could kick myself every time I think about this and wish I had just gone ahead and bought some things there. Anyone been there recently? (fingers crossed);)

• 2 weeks later...
The blue hole looks great but how do you get to it? Is it a long walk and on even ground? Have a few mobility issues but would love to do this if it would work.

Does anyone know if Wassii is open or reopened? I read that they weren't open anymore. We were there a few years ago and stopped there and saw some beautiful pottery/sculptures but it was at the beginning of the tour and I thought that we would be stopping at other places that would have the same thing.:mad: I could kick myself every time I think about this and wish I had just gone ahead and bought some things there. Anyone been there recently? (fingers crossed);)

Blue Hole is definitely not somewhere for you [emoji20]

It is very uneven terrain, as well as jumping into the water from cliffs. And rope swinging into the water. A lot of stairs as well. I did one jump, thought I was going to die and asked for the sissy way out [emoji12]

Our last trip, we did river tubing. It was a nice, relaxing float down the river. You might enjoy it!

I will email our tour guide friend and ask if Wassii is open for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by browns3030

On our third cruise stop in Jamaica (albeit first in Falmouth) we had already done the adventure stuff and wanted something different. We contacted Patrice Bailey owner of Patmar tours and told her we wanted to focus on the history of Jamaica. She did a wonderful job...took us to a cave where slaves hid, an historic home, sites where Columbus supposedly landed, etc. Even finished off by taking us for lunch to an outdoor eatery famous for its local grilled cuisine. I can't recall the names of all these places, but Patrice will surely know. We did this several years ago but I see she still has lots of positive and current reviews on tripadvisor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just returned from cruise and hired an experienced tour guide from Jamaicaxplored.com. He took excellent care of our party of six. You can ask him for any kind of tour. This tour guide amazed me with his memory for details. It was obvious everywhere we went he was greatly respected and cared for. His hospitality was second to none. I have cancer and have been making memories with kids and grandkids. Golem Garwood really made it special.

Edited by Larry6905
Spelling