Toddler Disembarkation - Independence of the Seas

Jan 26 will be our 5th cruise on RCL, but our first cruise EVER with a toddler! I have read some helpful pages about tips for toddlers on a cruise, and we are looking forward to some of the amenities that are available for tots on the Independence.

One thing I can't seem to find out is how to manage disembarkation with a stir crazy toddler. He will be 17 months old at the time of cruising and sitting patiently will NOT work at any time. I remember that we sat and waited in the dining room on deck 3 or 4 when we disembarked the Liberty of the Seas, since they did not allow us to linger in our state rooms. I can't remember if they would allow us to wander the other decks at this time. Does anyone know if we will be allowed to let him wander and explore a less crowded deck like the Lido, while the hordes of anxious passengers mob the lower decks?

Any other tips for disembarkation would be great too...??? I HATE disembarkation with a purple passion.

We are considering just getting a hotel the night of disembarkation so we don't have to rush. And then getting the first flight out back to home from FLL to ATL the next morning. If there is no way to have a reasonable disembarkation experience, maybe I should just push through it and try to walk off with luggage and get on the earliest flight I can get to? Waiting for 3-4 hours in a crowded airport also seem cumbersome with a clumsy toddler. I hope to book flights tomorrow. Thanks!

Unless things are very different for US sailings (we have only sailed RCI in Europe, though this worked fine in the US on other lines when our kids were toddlers):

You do not have to go to your disembark station and wait there. If you want to be off right away when it is our group's turn, then you should, but if timing is not critical to you, you are no means required to sit in that area all morning.

We always sleep a bit late and stay in teh stateroom until close to when they need us out (generally 8:00; i always ask the stateroom host the night before). Put the Do Not Disturb sign up and use the interior lock to keep the mini bar people from barging in at 6:00.

Then, we go to a sit down breakfast in the MDR. It is usually pretty calm in there, since everyone is dying to get off the ship. There are pastries going around on trays, so you can get something for your little guy to munch on almost right away, hopefully that and the high chair will keep him happy for the meal (they tend to be pretty fast on that last morning, no worries).

You will be finishing breakfast by 8:45 or 9:00, at which point on most cruises everyone is able to just walk off (check the electronic signs to see if your number has been called yet, if it has you can leave any time after).

If not, yes, you can wander on the Lido deck, etc, however there is often time a LOT of cleaning and maintenance going on and it may be harder to keep your little one safe there than elsewhere. Try the minogolf course. I think there is often very little going on there.

Have someone wait in your designated disembarkation group area while someone else keeps your toddler occupied in another part of the ship. You will be allowed to wander. Stay in touch by cell phone, and when your group is called to disembark, meet up and disembark.

....or, request self disembarkation and leave with that group.

....or, request self disembarkation, but leave the ship at a later time. They will let you off the ship without a problem (but this method has it's critics among cruisers).

Having done all of the above, I prefer self disembarkation as the first group off of the ship.

Just remember, one of the dangers of counting on an early flight is the ship may not get back to port as scheduled for various reasons, and the ship may take longer than normal to get clearance from CBP before disembarkation begins. Not too likely, but these things happen.

I've done it several times and don't ever remember it being bad. In fact, I don't have any distinct recollection of doing anything different than we would do without a young child. We eat breakfast in the Windjammer with all our carry on luggage, find someplace to wait and then debark when our group is called just like most people.

I'd probably keep him out of the stroller as much as you can until your group is called; then you can strap him in and get off the ship with minimal fuss, collect your luggage and be on your way!

Self disembarkation combined with the luggage valet service would be your best bet. You walk off with your toddler in a stroller and all you'll have is your carry ons to worry about. With the luggage valet, there is no claiming, no shlepping and no tipping of porters needed.

Thanks for all the great ideas! The mini golf area would be a great place for him to explore. I think maybe I felt confined to the dining room before since everything else on the ship was closed down.

Self disembarkation with luggage valet sounds wonderful. We normally take our time getting out of the room, even though they turn off cable tv and broadcast departure instructions on all channels. Maybe the do not disturb sign will keep them from constantly checking on us to leave our state room. Then we like to have breakfast in the dining room and take it slow there too - little guy sometimes takes a while to eat anyway.

Even getting down to the dining room has proven frustrating because the elevators and lower hallways are so crowded. When I was on Liberty, people were even waiting in the stairways and it was like a slow moving line just to get down the stairs to go to the dining room. Then we waited in another part of the dining room for a while (I think we were in one of the last groups because we never told them our flight times). Eventually we got worried about making our early afternoon flights and just walked off earlier than our luggage tag group. Nobody checked for our group number by then.

I wonder if they do check group numbers at all. Anyway thanks for the tips. Gonna need an extra dose of patience waiting on elevators that day with the stroller I guess. Is self disembarkation a cattle drive? Sounds rough with the toddler. I'm strongly considering the self disembarkation at my own time idea, however controversial it may be. Thanks again.