Ruins / antiquities day trips from Istanbul? Pergammon, Troy, etc?

Considering a land-only trip to Istanbul, probably for 3-4 nights. If I was to use one of those days to take a side-trip to any ancient sites, what would be feasible to arrange? Already been to Ephesus (one of my favorite ruins along with Delphi) and it would be terrific to return to explore it further. But that seems a bit far afield from Istanbul.

How difficult would it be to get to Pergammon or Troy, for example? And are there other ancient sites I should consider that would be feasible as day trips from Istanbul? The idea being that I'd like Istanbul to be a base for site-seeing in the region. And it would be nice to get away from the city into a more rural setting where I can see some awe inspiring ruins in situ.

Failing any easy day trips to such sites from Istanbul, are there any itineraries folks would recommend that would take me to ancient sites with one overnight away from Istanbul? e.g. will have to return to Istanbul to fly out. If so, what town would you recommend staying in and do you have any hotel or B&B recommendations?

Finally, since Istanbul is a port stop on cruises--and one I've had my eye on for some time--I thought it would be nice to skip the cruise this time and take advantage of things to see that tourists on a single day in port don't have the opportunity to see. For example, in Greece, I suppose one could take a day trip to Delphi from Athens--but it would be terribly rushed (which is why it often doesn't appear as an Excursion option from Athens / Piraeus). But you'd have to forget about Meteora (one of my not-so-ancient favorite historical sites; but if I recall correctly was around an 8 hour one-way trip trip from Athens).

Edited by mikeerdas

Troy is well over 200 miles, about 6 hours, from Istanbul. And that's going the "quick" way along the European shores of the Dardanelles Straits, then taking the 20 minute Eceabat to Canakkale ferry. So needs an overnite, though you might find a seat-on-bus long-day tour out of Istanbul.

IMHO what's to be seen at Troy isn't worth that sort of a journey, though you could combine it with a tour of the Gallipoli battlefields of WW1 if that's your scene. Canakkale would be a convenient overnite base.

Or keep your eyes open for one of the few cruise itineraries which stop at Canakkale. Only small cruise ships stop there.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks JB. Yep, sounds like Troy would be too much of a stretch and not worth the effort (not interested in battlefields). Good to know what Canakkale would be an overnight base though, as that's a destination in itself (this is where the calcite springs are, correct?)

Would love to cruise on one of the smaller vessels, but that would very likely be a budget buster. :-(

Troy is well over 200 miles, about 6 hours, from Istanbul. And that's going the "quick" way along the European shores of the Dardanelles Straits, then taking the 20 minute Eceabat to Canakkale ferry. So needs an overnite, though you might find a seat-on-bus long-day tour out of Istanbul.

IMHO what's to be seen at Troy isn't worth that sort of a journey, though you could combine it with a tour of the Gallipoli battlefields of WW1 if that's your scene. Canakkale would be a convenient overnite base.

Or keep your eyes open for one of the few cruise itineraries which stop at Canakkale. Only small cruise ships stop there.

JB :)

Considering a land-only trip to Istanbul, probably for 3-4 nights. If I was to use one of those days to take a side-trip to any ancient sites, what would be feasible to arrange? Already been to Ephesus (one of my favorite ruins along with Delphi) and it would be terrific to return to explore it further. But that seems a bit far afield from Istanbul.

How difficult would it be to get to Pergammon or Troy, for example? And are there other ancient sites I should consider that would be feasible as day trips from Istanbul? The idea being that I'd like Istanbul to be a base for site-seeing in the region. And it would be nice to get away from the city into a more rural setting where I can see some awe inspiring ruins in situ.

Failing any easy day trips to such sites from Istanbul, are there any itineraries folks would recommend that would take me to ancient sites with one overnight away from Istanbul? e.g. will have to return to Istanbul to fly out. If so, what town would you recommend staying in and do you have any hotel or B&B recommendations?

Finally, since Istanbul is a port stop on cruises--and one I've had my eye on for some time--I thought it would be nice to skip the cruise this time and take advantage of things to see that tourists on a single day in port don't have the opportunity to see. For example, in Greece, I suppose one could take a day trip to Delphi from Athens--but it would be terribly rushed (which is why it often doesn't appear as an Excursion option from Athens / Piraeus). But you'd have to forget about Meteora (one of my not-so-ancient favorite historical sites; but if I recall correctly was around an 8 hour one-way trip trip from Athens).

There are so many fantastic ruins in Turkey. The only problem is that most of them are not located very close to Istanbul. I'd suggest you focus on Istanbul if you only have 3-4 nights. But do plan a return visit that takes in more of the great ruins along the coast and inland. Kusadasi may be a better base for that. I stayed in Kusadasi for 3-4 nights (can't remember without checking) and from there was able to get to several places including Pergamon (one day), Priene, Miletus and Didyma (one day) and Pamukkale/Hierapolis (one very LONG day). Antalya is another good spot to base oneself for a few days to see nearby sites (such as Perge and Aspendos), but you can also look for cruises that stop there -- it's becoming more popular as a port.

I don't agree that Troy isn't worth visiting, especially if you have a keen interest in the history and in ruins. However, it is a confusing site and deserves the time spent (and possibly a good guide or very detailed guidebook) to help sort it out. If you do want to go, you can overnight in Canakkale as suggested and perhaps spend an afternoon there and then return again the next morning before going back. Be sure to read or re-read at least some parts of the Iliad before going. ;)

There aren't too many ruins in Istanbul from the early or mid Byzantine period, but you can visit the Palace Mosaics museum next to the Blue Mosque (in the Arasta Bazaar), which is the only way you can visit a portion of the old Byzantine palace (the mosaics are in situ). You can also walk along the old walls; a good place to do that is near Chora church. Of course, there's the Hippodrome, Haghia Sofia, and the assorted cisterns. Do not miss the Archaeological Museum either. If you need any additional suggestions, please just ask.

Edited by cruisemom42

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks as always CruiseMom for the detailed information. When I was last in Kusadasi, that was a very pleasant port. Three hours for Ephesus wasn't nearly enough--but thanks to you, my wife and I got to enjoy the Terrace Houses--a real highlight from that particular trip.

Thought Istanbul is a place I ought to see, being a crossroads of several Western civilizations. And a port stop isn't often nearly enough. But hmmm, for the ruins I crave... how long would transit take to get to other bases flying into Istanbul? I imagine most international flights go to Istanbul from the U.S., and I've found some really great deals on flights to Istanbul.

But also for Athens I've found some good flight deals. Wife and I have been to Athens together only once on a port stop--enough time to see the Acropolis, but insufficient time to see my favorite ancient site in Greece thus far--Delphi. Or other sites in the Peloponnese like Corinth and Acrocorinth, Mycenae, etc. So am considering flying into Athens at some point. Would there be cheap flights from Athens to another base in Turkey besides Istanbul? Really looking for overland only so we can spend more time at various sites.

There are so many fantastic ruins in Turkey. The only problem is that most of them are not located very close to Istanbul. I'd suggest you focus on Istanbul if you only have 3-4 nights. But do plan a return visit that takes in more of the great ruins along the coast and inland. Kusadasi may be a better base for that. I stayed in Kusadasi for 3-4 nights (can't remember without checking) and from there was able to get to several places including Pergamon (one day), Priene, Miletus and Didyma (one day) and Pamukkale/Hierapolis (one very LONG day). Antalya is another good spot to base oneself for a few days to see nearby sites (such as Perge and Aspendos), but you can also look for cruises that stop there -- it's becoming more popular as a port.

I don't agree that Troy isn't worth visiting, especially if you have a keen interest in the history and in ruins. However, it is a confusing site and deserves the time spent (and possibly a good guide or very detailed guidebook) to help sort it out. If you do want to go, you can overnight in Canakkale as suggested and perhaps spend an afternoon there and then return again the next morning before going back. Be sure to read or re-read at least some parts of the Iliad before going. ;)

There aren't too many ruins in Istanbul from the early or mid Byzantine period, but you can visit the Palace Mosaics museum next to the Blue Mosque (in the Arasta Bazaar), which is the only way you can visit a portion of the old Byzantine palace (the mosaics are in situ). You can also walk along the old walls; a good place to do that is near Chora church. Of course, there's the Hippodrome, Haghia Sofia, and the assorted cisterns. Do not miss the Archaeological Museum either. If you need any additional suggestions, please just ask.

• 2 weeks later...

If I go to Istanbul, I have the option to stay at a Hyatt for two free nights (have two free night certificates), possibly three if I use Hyatt points for a third night.

But the two Hyatts, The Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt, don't seem to be near the old city center, or whichever area is said to be walking distance to most of the sites of interest--may also be called Spice Market?

Anyway, what's the public transportation like getting from either of the two Hyatts to where the major sites of interest to tourists are? And might it actually be a plus to stay away from the old city center? My wife and I are very light sleepers and prefer peace / quiet.

On the one hand, I generally like Rick Steves' advice to stay in the heart of tourist attraction areas--e.g. big win for me and my wife staying in Rome within walking distance to the Forum, etc. On the other hand, when we were in Venice, we stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky free on Hilton points--loved the hotel and loved being away from the congestion of St. Mark's--although it does thin-out nicely at night.

So what are the trade-offs visiting a city like Istanbul?

Edited by mikeerdas

If I go to Istanbul, I have the option to stay at a Hyatt for two free nights (have two free night certificates), possibly three if I use Hyatt points for a third night.

But the two Hyatts, The Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt, don't seem to be near the old city center, or whichever area is said to be walking distance to most of the sites of interest--may also be called Spice Market?

Anyway, what's the public transportation like getting from either of the two Hyatts to where the major sites of interest to tourists are? And might it actually be a plus to stay away from the old city center? My wife and I are very light sleepers and prefer peace / quiet.

On the one hand, I generally like Rick Steves' advice to stay in the heart of tourist attraction areas--e.g. big win for me and my wife staying in Rome within walking distance to the Forum, etc. On the other hand, when we were in Venice, we stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky free on Hilton points--loved the hotel and loved being away from the congestion of St. Mark's--although it does thin-out nicely at night.

So what are the trade-offs visiting a city like Istanbul?

The two Hyatts you mention are definitely on the "new" side of Istanbul; however, if you are going to be there two nights (or better, three) the time it would take to get back and forth from the sites in the old town (that area is called Sultanahmet, by the way) wouldn't be a big loss.

I always like to stay near where the "action" is for me (e.g., the historical sites) but there is plenty of modern "action" where you'd be based also. I'm not sure if one or the other would be any quieter. On the other hand, several free nights isn't something to disregard either. And I think you can still plan to use public transportation to get around. (I haven't stayed on that side of things myself, but have taken the trams from Sultanahmet to Taksim for dinner and then back.)

Another reason I like staying in Sultanahmet is the availability of staying in a more traditional boutique hotel/inn converted from the old Ottoman mansions. But you may prefer the familiarity and sameness of a Hyatt.

In the end, you'll have to decide what fits you best.

Good stuff, thanks CruiseMom. Not sure I'll be able to go to Istanbul at all this Spring as Award travel seats are rapidly disappearing. If I'm unable to go, will still file away this great info--thanks as always for your help.

There is Character and there is Free. If a lodging is affordable (we all have different definitions of that), safe, clean, and quiet, then it's fine by me. The free hotel night certs I have are perishable and must be used by the end of 2014. So that's a strong incentive to go for hotel chains (have free night certs at Hyatt and Hilton, plus some Marriott points that do not expire).

What price range per night could one expect at these boutique hotels in Sultanahmet you mention, let's say in mid to late May or late Sept / early Oct. Just a ball park figure.

Would definitely give Istanbul a min of 2 nights, probably a max of 3 for a first visit.

The two Hyatts you mention are definitely on the "new" side of Istanbul; however, if you are going to be there two nights (or better, three) the time it would take to get back and forth from the sites in the old town (that area is called Sultanahmet, by the way) wouldn't be a big loss.

I always like to stay near where the "action" is for me (e.g., the historical sites) but there is plenty of modern "action" where you'd be based also. I'm not sure if one or the other would be any quieter. On the other hand, several free nights isn't something to disregard either. And I think you can still plan to use public transportation to get around. (I haven't stayed on that side of things myself, but have taken the trams from Sultanahmet to Taksim for dinner and then back.)

Another reason I like staying in Sultanahmet is the availability of staying in a more traditional boutique hotel/inn converted from the old Ottoman mansions. But you may prefer the familiarity and sameness of a Hyatt.

In the end, you'll have to decide what fits you best.

Good stuff, thanks CruiseMom. Not sure I'll be able to go to Istanbul at all this Spring as Award travel seats are rapidly disappearing. If I'm unable to go, will still file away this great info--thanks as always for your help.

There is Character and there is Free. If a lodging is affordable (we all have different definitions of that), safe, clean, and quiet, then it's fine by me. The free hotel night certs I have are perishable and must be used by the end of 2014. So that's a strong incentive to go for hotel chains (have free night certs at Hyatt and Hilton, plus some Marriott points that do not expire).

What price range per night could one expect at these boutique hotels in Sultanahmet you mention, let's say in mid to late May or late Sept / early Oct. Just a ball park figure.

Would definitely give Istanbul a min of 2 nights, probably a max of 3 for a first visit.

I hear you on cost vs. value and if you do manage to swing your trip, don't feel conflicted if you want to use the points! Especially if it allows you to do something else like a side trip to Troy.

These Ottoman hotels in Sultanahmet have a wide price range, so it's difficult to give an estimate. At a more budget-friendly (but well reviewed) place that I plan to say in October, doubles are going for 80 euro per night at the moment. At a more deluxe place, such as the lovely Sari Konak (a favorite of many here), a double room might be 150 euro per night.