Newbie to cruising and the board

destaw7182

I am taking my first cruise in April 2014 on NCL. I am little nervous about it, mostly concerned with getting sea sick but for the most part I am really looking forward to it. I really appreciate the variety of experiences being shared on this board. I am taking notes on the really important things while keeping in mind that we all have unique experiences.

Thanks!

welcome to cruise critic. if it's any comfort, i can't ride in the back seat of a car without getting motion sick. in fact, i was recently in the front passenger seat with a driver that was stopping and going way too much and had to get out. i have never been sick on a spring or summer cruise. the ships today are so big that one rarely feels the motion. have fun.

My wife was extremely nervous prior to our first cruise. She said she would never take a cruise until one of her brothers came back from his first cruise and told her how much he enjoyed it.

After we came back, she surprised me by getting on the computer and booking a cruise! Now she does all of the planning. We have just completely our 10th cruise and she booked another for December.

If you have any concerns about getting sea sick, try to get a stateroom near the middle of the ship and on a lower deck. Most people find that's the most comfortable location if the ship encounters rough seas.

Happy cruising!

Welcome.

Read these boards & the main website. Read the cruiseline's official cite & your tickets very carefully, especially the small print.

I took OTC Dramamine; I took the 1st pill the morning we boarded. They work better if you take them in advance. Do not take too much seasick meds; the meds will make you sicker than the waves.

We're only half kidding when we say take 1/2 the clothes & twice the money. Understand what is included & what's not. You don't want a nasty surprise at the end of your cruise.

Don't try to do everything.

NCL has these cute little dials outside of your cabin so you can say, do not disturb, please make up cabin, etc. It will be green, when your cabin steward turns it back to welcome.

Enjoy!

Hi-

Unless you hit a storm, which is unlikely, you'll feel very little movement on the ships. The ships today are very big and stable, and the captain does what he can to minimize movement and maximize comfort.

That being said, if you are prone to motion sickness, you might take sea sickness remedies with you, just in case.

Fyi, my husband has taken sea sickness stuff with him on each of our 14 past cruises. He hasn't used them yet. - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

I went on my first cruise last month and was also worried about being sea sick. For 6 of our 7 days, I really didn't know that we were at sea. There was one rough day we had, and I didn't have any issues. We had a cabin on the main deck (deck 2) so it was low and in the middle. Some that stayed at the back of the boat talked about being a little ill but I really didn't mind at all.

Welcome.

Read these boards & the main website. Read the cruiseline's official cite & your tickets very carefully, especially the small print.

I took OTC Dramamine; I took the 1st pill the morning we boarded. They work better if you take them in advance. Do not take too much seasick meds; the meds will make you sicker than the waves.

We're only half kidding when we say take 1/2 the clothes & twice the money. Understand what is included & what's not. You don't want a nasty surprise at the end of your cruise.

Don't try to do everything.

NCL has these cute little dials outside of your cabin so you can say, do not disturb, please make up cabin, etc. It will be green, when your cabin steward turns it back to welcome.

Enjoy!

Thanks, a few friends of mine who have sailed before advised the same, to take the OTC Drammamine in advance. I am definitely planning to.

As for the cruise activities, I am learning quickly that reading the fine print is probably the MOST important thing that you should do prior to your cruise LOL.

Appreciate the advice!

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising and the boards!

I also have issues with getting car sick and was very nervous about how I might feel onboard. I am happy to say it was never a problem!

Bonine works well from what I've heard and does not make you sleepy the way Dramamine does.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

My daughter and I took our first cruise a couple of summers ago. My daughter has probably been sick in every state she's ever driven through so my biggest fear was that she would be seasick the entire time on the ship.

We were both amazed at just how smooth the ship was and the only time we ever felt much motion was for a few hours when we hit some large swells. We took some Bonine and it worked great!

I hope you have a fantastic cruise! Ours was on NCL, we loved it and I've now convinced my husband to go on one. Woohoo!!!!