Recording your cruise

At Sea 4Ever

We just take photos on a camera, many people use their phones as they take reasonable videos and stills.

I have to say though that one of my bug bears are people who use their videos and believe they have the right to be at the front for everything (and for many minutes) just because they are videoing and forget about other people who just want to watch the performance, experience the train/boat ride etc etc or who want to take a quick photo

Rant over

Sandy in Spain

Dear Sandy,

I agree-I call some of the folks vidiots or shutternuts. My pet peeve is the people using their phones or cameras where they have to hold them away and block everyone else's view.

Do u have this?

I do not have one of these as I am not into shooting videos. Taking good pictures is hard enough. Taking even barely watchable videos is impossible. I do not think that I have ver been forced to watch anyone's amateur video that was any better than horrible.

I did take a trip to Jordan and Israel once and there was someone on the trip who resembled the OP - I believe that he saw everything through the viewfinder of his video camera.

He did make one major mistake, however. He took pictures of the soldiers and other stuff as we drove through the no-mans-land between Jordan and Israel. That was a really really big mistake. Two soldiers came on board the bus and asked him to get off the bus at the security check in Jordan before we got into Israel. They were going to confiscate his camera but they settled on confiscating his video cartridge (that was back in the days of video cartridges).

It did not stop him from continuing to take videos but every time he started to take a shot of anything that might be military in Israel, somebody stuck their hand in front of the camera.

It was a hoot.

DON

My DH and I always video our cruises. It doesn't matter how many times we've been on the ship or if nothing is new. We do it to bring our vacation memories home to share and also so we can relive our cruise anytime we want. We literally video almost every second our our trip. For some it may seem like a pain but we truly enjoy it! Does anyone else video their trips or at least carry a camera everywhere? Sometimes we feel like we are the only two people on the ship capturing our memories. With technology being what it is today do other people do what we do? It's a silly question but something I'm very curious about!

We rarely bring a camera. We like to experience the vacation instead of vacation through a viewfinder.

We rarely bring a camera. We like to experience the vacation instead of vacation through a viewfinder.

There is a balance to be struck between photographing everything and not taking any pictures.

We write trip stories for our website and for friends and family. We also have a video frame and once in a while like to watch some of the pictures while eating dinner to reminisce about a trip.

I take a pretty good amount of pictures on a cruise, but do not let my camera always be in front of my eyes. On a cruise three years ago in New England up to Canada, we went on an excursion that was a photo taking excursion. The wife and I took probably 1000 pics on that day between the two of us. With a digital, you can try different exposures, F-stops, etc. to get the perfect picture.

Other times though I probably take 30-40 pictures a day around the ship. I just take things that interest me. I do not try and document the entire cruise. I find that to be overwhelming.

In port, I like to take pictures that are different from others. Things like a dog or cat sleeping, a Dunkin Donuts in Nassau, Weird doorways, that kind of thing. I do not take the typical tourist pictures, and detest the "stand up in front of something" pictures.

In terms of video, unless the thing I am seeing is moving and cannot be adequately shown in stills then I will shoot video. But still is the way to go 99% of the time.

That's great!! Yea we realized that some trips we didn't take as many pictures and kinda felt disappointed after we got home. It's nice to have physical memories you can share. What ship are you going on in march?

Camera arrived today. It is AWESOME!! Very intuitive. And we're going on the Grand Princess to Mexico. New cruise line for us (except for a 2 day trial run cruise years ago) and we hope to do some whale watching. We have a private tour that's supposed to be really good. <fingers crosed> I can't wait.

We have been travelling and cruising for over 60 years and have the photos and videos to prove it. We rarely look at any of them.It would take days to see all. Thank goodness we can even remember our names. But we do often recall various experiences on those trips.

I took video of our first 2 cruises only. Since then it has all been pictures. Having recently done a "spring cleaning" at home, I organized all of our pictures. It was a nice trip down memory lane, and I was quite surprised by how many prints I have from our cruises....although in this digital age, the more recent trips are all on the computer, and some printed albums.

• 2 weeks later...
Stills, yes. Videography, no. Time-lapse video from a still camera clamped to our balcony divider, yes, and that has been really neat.

When I say stills, I mean stills. We spent $1300 to rent more camera gear for our last cruise, and we might spend >$2000 next time. Alaska is such a photographer's heaven and I enjoy using the big monster lenses, so I save up for it and work extra projects to make it happen. :)

I watched your time-lapse series of your Alaska cruise on youtube and really enjoyed it. What equipment did you use to accomplish that?