When Princess takes over HAL's Bookings

My (US) TA told me that all HAL cruises after April 2006 are going to be booked through the Princess System.

What changes do you think that will bring about?

I certainly hope HAL continues to publish its prices on their web site. Princess doesn't do this. You have to call the Princess number.

I wonder if Carnival bookings are going through the Princess system too. It probably makes economic sense to use the one system.

Any disadvantages?

I believe your travel agent is mistaken, somewhat. HAL is adopting the same reservation system that Princess uses because it is superior in some ways than the current system they use. (I have wondered in what ways it is superior. Anyone have an answer to that?) HAL will be doing their own bookings, not re-routed through Princess. The adoption and integration of the new reservation system is taking place currently. (And is causing some problems for travel agents and for already booked guests.)

I am an online TA for a cruise only agency.

Yes, your TA was mistaken. HAL is switching reservation systems from their current one to POLAR which is what Princess uses. Your reservations will remain accessible via HAL, not Princess.

POLAR is much more TA friendly. As an example, on HAL's current system you can search via destination and date. Then it brings up a list of sailings around that date for that destination.

With POLAR you can specify the ship, date, route and even cruisetour #. This will then specifically bring up all departures from the date specified of the particular product you are looking for, not all others areound the same date and destination.

It's also easier to make reservations online with POLAR. It's less confusing and there are less steps/pages where you have to confirm and reconfirm things. With HAL's current system, there is a page that provides a booking number and everything, but if you don't follow through with scrolling down and pressing "hold..." then it doesn't actually create that reservation.

POLAR is simply more efficient and user friendly.

Just my two cents.

Mr Cruise...

Would that explain why my '05 cruise booking number was 1234567 (that is, all numbers), while my '06 number is (number)(3 letters)(number)(letter)?

TomC,

That's absolutely correct. HAL's current ('05) reservation system provides booking numbers as entirely numerical digits. Where as POLAR's booking numbers are a combination of numbers and letters.

It's simply just two different ways of assigning unique reservation numbers.

As a similar comparison, the USA uses 5 digit numerical zip codes, where as Canada use a 6 digit postal code that alternates number/letter/number... and so forth.

I am an online TA for a cruise only agency.

POLAR is much more TA friendly. As an example, on HAL's current system you can search via destination and date. Then it brings up a list of sailings around that date for that destination.

POLAR is simply more efficient and user friendly.

Just my two cents.

Do you have any idea why the Princess system doesn't show prices? That vital bit of information is lacking!

Stephen

Our booking number for our January, 2006 Volendam cruise is seven digits....no letters.

Same for our October, 2005 booking......seven digits with no letters.

Sail..The new system is for HAL bookings after mid April of 2006..Our Prinsendam booking now has an alpha/numeric No...Have not tried to access it yet...HAL says that our shore excursions should be in sometime in July or August..

Happy cruising all..:)

Again 100% accurate.

If memory serves correct, the POLAR system will be used by HAL for sailings on or after March 16th 2006. (or there abouts).

Specifically what/why cruise lines allow the general public to view in regards to pricing, I am not overly familiar with. All I can say with repect to that is the assumption that they may advertise the "from rates" for the itinerary, subject to availability.

I have access to ship inventory and current rates for any sailing via their respective reservation systems online. (HAL PCL NCL RCCL CEL etc.) Access to these reservation systems is obviously a TA privilege not to be abused.

HAL's reservations department is currently undergoing mass training to become familier with the new systems, so things there are a little chaotic while they make the transition.

Hope this further clarifies the changes.

My TA (brick and mortor) says that the new system is definitely superior to the old HAL system. She has used it with Princess for some time. But -- during the conversion things are very difficult. We had to change a major booking a few weeks ago from December of 2005 to December of 2006 due to big changes in our personal plans and it was not easy to accomplish. (Well, it was easy for us to accomplish but because of the comupter system changes I do think that my travel agent had to leap tall buildings to get it done) I have now paid the new deposit and I think that it is done. I do not, however, have an HAL booking # for the new cruise, but I do have a very nice cabin assignment.

Archived