Recent Cruisers--How Is The Syrup?

kcwingwalker

We got back from the Jewel 12/15/13 sailing and I thought it was an odd taste and consistency. My 3 y/o would not eat pancakes or waffles and those are his go to food. The sugar free was ok tho and we did use the fruit toppings.

I thought it was "off" in both the buffet and at Cagney's. I tried to get a look at what they were using as they were pouring it from a jug. To me it tasted like molasses and Karo syrup mixed together and watered down a bit. I'm not a maple syrup snob, I would have been happy with grocery store stuff.

So a few weeks back there were lots of complaints about the syrup for pancakes, waffles, etc. being served.

For those of you who have recently returned can you give us an update on the syrup? Or should we still plan on bringing our own?

Thanks!

My Syrup was fine thanks for asking :D Took a bottle of good ol' Canadian Maple Syrup for M&G too. Guess what the first prize winner chose? LOL nice that it was a family, sure the kids enjoyed it.

But in all seriousness we did try the syrup on the ship and it tasted fine. I don't use much but DH loved it on his waffles so I'm not sure where all the "nasty" tasting syrup went. We even asked if they had changed it but were told that they had added some with different flavours but that was it.

BTW we were on the Pearl Dec. 1st.

cruised mid Nov 2013 on the Dawn.

Did not try the "bulk" syrup, because a few people in line suggested the bottled sugar-free instead. I used that and it was good, as regular ol' store bought syrup goes.

I am not a fan of that watery, very maple-y northeast syrup, anyway.

I was on the Jewl over Thanksgiving. Another passenger said it tasted fine. I only use sugar free anyways. I was impressed they used the Smuckers. It taste like regular syrup from the store. No complaints here.

Must be a US thing - obsessing over syrup.

Now the proper bacon debate - that is important! Cremated streaky bacon is not PROPER bacon - lightly cooked back bacon is the only real thing for breakfast. :D

I love it! Now we are getting into all of the important discussions on cruise critic!

Edited by EnsignPulver

Must be a US thing - obsessing over syrup.

Now the proper bacon debate - that is important! Cremated streaky bacon is not PROPER bacon - lightly cooked back bacon is the only real thing for breakfast. :D

Yummo... BACON!

Time to start YET another thread!!!:eek::p

Sir - we need to meet to discuss important issues such as beer and bacon!:D

I can give you my opinions on how to prepare bacon and you can instruct me as to how to pour and drink a proper pint! Of course this could take some time and a few pints!:D

On thanksgiving week breakaway I brought my own maple syrup after reading the boards. The first time for breakfast in main dining room was the dark nasty stuff people wrote about. Indeed, it tasted like a weakened fake burned molasses flavoring. The second time ordering in main dining room towards end of trip, it was back to regular tasting fake stuff that real maple syrup users can tolerate while on vacation.

My guess is they have corrected it but used up the bad stuff first.

coka

Edited by coka