New Zealand West Coast

Been looking at a NZ cruises and just wondering why no cruises (that I can see ) don't do the west coast

We have cruised NZ (east coast and Milford) before and I suppose we are just looking for something different

There is probably a very simple reason for it anybody know?

Been looking at a NZ cruises and just wondering why no cruises (that I can see ) don't do the west coast

We have cruised NZ (east coast and Milford) before and I suppose we are just looking for something different

There is probably a very simple reason for it anybody know?

2 reasons ..Geography and Weather.

Its a very wild coastline as the seas sweep up from the Southern Ocean and the westerly winds can be fierce.Tasmania is the same. Shipping avoids the west coast and uses the calmer eastern side.

However when conditions are OK the West Coast is awesome with some really stunning beaches and fabulous vistas. Its a surfers paradise...:D.

2 reasons ..Geography and Weather.

Its a very wild coastline as the seas sweep up from the Southern Ocean and the westerly winds can be fierce.Tasmania is the same. Shipping avoids the west coast and uses the calmer eastern side.

However when conditions are OK the West Coast is awesome with some really stunning beaches and fabulous vistas. Its a surfers paradise...:D.

Thanks David

Sort of thought it might be the sea conditions used to work a kiwi lad and he kept telling me about the surf over there could have this wrong but a spot called Raglin something like that was all he talked about.

Maybe one day we might do a land tour of the west coast and then cruise back to oz one day

Thanks David

Sort of thought it might be the sea conditions used to work a kiwi lad and he kept telling me about the surf over there could have this wrong but a spot called Raglin something like that was all he talked about.

Maybe one day we might do a land tour of the west coast and then cruise back to oz one day

That would be Raglan! Great surf there, but not a place for large ships.

There are very few deep-water ports on the west coast of NZ. I can't think of one in the South Island (pleased to be corrected, if I'm wrong!) and New Plymouth is the only one between Wellington and Auckland in the North Island. Even though Auckland has a harbour on its west coast, it's shallow and the main shipping port is on the eastern side.

Basically, the whole of NZ's west coast is subject to the full impact of the Tasman Sea and there are very few places for ships to shelter.

I live in New Plymouth and we did have a visit from HAL's Volendam, on 27th December 2011. She was berthed in the commercial shipping port and she's the only cruise ship to have been here so far. The town put on a good reception for the passengers and we'd love to see another cruise ship but, logistically, it's probably not going to happen.

There are very few deep-water ports on the west coast of NZ. I can't think of one in the South Island (pleased to be corrected, if I'm wrong!) and New Plymouth is the only one between Wellington and Auckland in the North Island.

I think you might be right!

I live in New Plymouth and we did have a visit from HAL's Volendam, on 27th December 2011. She was berthed in the commercial shipping port and she's the only cruise ship to have been here so far. The town put on a good reception for the passengers and we'd love to see another cruise ship but, logistically, it's probably not going to happen.

I learn something new all the time when I visit Cruise Critic!, Did not know that the Volendam came to visit New Plymouth!

Never say never, as a lot of the cruise lines are looking for different NZ ports now!, for example Princess are maybe looking at going to Kaikoura!

I can certainly recommend a land tour of the west coast of south island.

You can see some spectacular and varied scenery with the rain forest in Haast Pass, walking on theFox and Franz Josef glaciers and the unusual pancake rocks and blow hole. To get the full advantage, you should hire a car as this would allow you to stop as often as you like for photos (and you most certainly will want to!). Spring tends to be the best season, with snow still way down on the mountains; however, remember that the magnificent rain forests are due to the many rainy days on the west coast.

I can certainly recommend a land tour of the west coast of south island.

You can see some spectacular and varied scenery with the rain forest in Haast Pass, walking on theFox and Franz Josef glaciers and the unusual pancake rocks and blow hole. To get the full advantage, you should hire a car as this would allow you to stop as often as you like for photos (and you most certainly will want to!). Spring tends to be the best season, with snow still way down on the mountains; however, remember that the magnificent rain forests are due to the many rainy days on the west coast.

Sounds good might hire something like a camper van do the west coast then go on a cruise down the east coast that finishes back in Sydney not sure how much time we will need but ill start doing some research

Thanks for the info