On board account/on board credit

Hello all,

I'm a newbie with a question... Or two :)

Does it matter if I set up my on board account with a debit card versus a credit card?

And

I received 250 dollars in gift cards for Christmas for my cruise in March... Do I have to set something up before my cruise?

Thanks!

Hello all,

I'm a newbie with a question... Or two :)

Does it matter if I set up my on board account with a debit card versus a credit card?

And

I received 250 dollars in gift cards for Christmas for my cruise in March... Do I have to set something up before my cruise?

Thanks!

Depending on your financial institution, using a debit card could result in holds being placed against your funds. The holds might take several days to expire, so you could find yourself without access to a significant amount of your funds several days after the cruise.

I'd use a credit card as a first choice. As a second choice, I'd select a "cash" type account, and use the debit card (or cash) at the end of the cruise to pay your account.

I'm assuming they are Royal Caribbean gift cards? If so you need to call and have them added to your account. You can either use them as payment for your cruise or redeem them for on board credit. I believe they have to be redeemed at least 10 days before your cruise and you can not redeem them on the ship so make sure it is done ahead of time.

BTW, I've used a debit card on all of my cruise with no problems. I know it isn't recommended but like I said I had no problems.

Edited by readytolose

Cash out your "gift cards"...if it says Visa or MC, your bank will give you cash for the amount they're worth.

Do NOT use gift cards or debit cards on the ship. Bring cash....as it's the same thing, only they do NOT put "holds' against cash! Debit cards give you no protection in case of fraud, and the holds can affect your bank account.