Canadian Princess Cruisers

Gunner22aa

Just purchased a few hundred for my OBC for a cruise in September.

FCD was in CAD

Cruise is booked in CAD

Shipboard (folio) account is in USD

OBC was charged at par when I checked online, OBC is in USD

img373_zps7b557b13.jpg

Just purchased a few hundred for my OBC for a cruise in September.

FCD was in CAD

Cruise is booked in CAD

Shipboard (folio) account is in USD

OBC was charged at par when I checked online, OBC is in USD

I'm in the same "boat" as well and thinking about trying to buy some US$ OBC at par.

Were you able to confirm the $300 OBC would be charged in C$ before finalizing the purchase?

I'm in the same "boat" as well and thinking about trying to buy some US$ OBC at par.

Were you able to confirm the $300 OBC would be charged in C$ before finalizing the purchase?

I asked the Princess agent on the phone at time of purchasing the OBC to confirm which currency the charge was being made in, and was told $CDN with the OBC in $US (without conversion). We did $800 worth of OBC to cover gratuities (ahem, "service charge"!!), soda packages, and a couple of pre-planned excursions for our upcoming 14 day cruise.

They'll happily confirm the currency of both the charge and the OBC.

C.

Edited by Craigster-diver

I didn't ask for conversions, just asked to buy OBC, and charged at par

Paid for the cruse in CAD, but wonder what would happen if I asked for the cruise price in USD, Hmmmm....maybe the cruise would have been in USD too

I asked the Princess agent on the phone at time of purchasing the OBC to confirm which currency the charge was being made in, and was told $CDN with the OBC in $US (without conversion). We did $800 worth of OBC to cover gratuities (ahem, "service charge"!!), soda packages, and a couple of pre-planned excursions for our upcoming 14 day cruise.

They'll happily confirm the currency of both the charge and the OBC.

C.

Thanks, I give it a try........great way to get US$ at par :)

Did you just call the main Princess number (800-774-6237) and reference your booking#?

Thanks, I give it a try........great way to get US$ at par :)

Did you just call the main Princess number (800-774-6237) and reference your booking#?

As far as I can remember, yes.

Told them my booking #, that I wanted to put some OBC on the shipboard account, and the amount of OBC I wanted. The agent came back and said, "ok, $500 OBC ... that'll be $500." I asked which currency that would be billed in, she said Canadian. I said, "then add $300 more." End of conversation.

Good luck!!

C.

I asked which currency that would be billed in, she said Canadian. I said, "then add $300 more."

quick thinking, well done!

I'm back torturing myself with my bad luck getting it at par but am pleased its working for some of you.

quick thinking, well done!

I'm back torturing myself with my bad luck getting it at par but am pleased its working for some of you.

Did you just make the one purchase or was it several that all came through in US$? I had several go through in Canadian but one BIG one went through in US$ even though the agent said it looked as though it would be in Canadian. I called back and they happily cancelled it and then redid it. That time it went through in Canadian.

This was back in March and then again in May. I now have a cruise in Septemeber and another one in December to buy OBC for so am about to spin the wheel again....

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Paid for the cruse in CAD, but wonder what would happen if I asked for the cruise price in USD, Hmmmm....maybe the cruise would have been in USD too

Not quite following you. If you had booked and paid for the cruise in US$ you would have to pay the US price for any pre purchased OBC now. You must have booked and paid directly in Canadian $ to have a chance at pre purchasing OBC at par or even at Princess "exchange rate" which is exactly 10 percent higher in Canadian at this point in time.

Terry

I still suspect that the pre purchased OBC for cruises bought "in Canadian" being billed either at par or with a 10 % exchange rate is tied to how the cruise was initially priced. In other words if the particular cruise was priced at par the OBC will be at par.

There doesn't seem to be an exact day on the calendar where the 10% premium kicks in for the cruise itself if paid in Canadian. The Alaska cruises stay at par until the ship does its reposition cruise at the end of the season. The reposition cruises are 10% more in Canadian.

The recent quote of OBC at par for a Sept 20 CB cruise in the Caribbean is a cruise that is still priced at par. The way to tell in most cases is to look at what the price in Canadian ends in. They added exactly 10% to the price and since most cruises end in a $9 increment, the price in Canadian now ends in a 90 cent increment. This is how it shows on the web site at least. I am not certain if the final invoice for the cruise ends in 90 cents or if they drop the cents at that point.

So my theory is that the cruise pricing determines the pricing of pre purchased OBC. I believe that the recent examples of success with pre purchases at par are for cruises that are still priced at par. More information is needed on the ship and exact sailing date of any examples given to determine this for certain.

In any event, "the end is near"! Soon all cruises will be priced at a 10% premium in canadian until further notice. While not a "steal", US$ for $1.10 Canadian is a slightly better rate than available anywhere else.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector
Typo's

if the particular cruise was priced at par the OBC will be at par.

Terry

now that makes sense to me! and also helps that princess isn't singling me out to pay the 10%.

I bought 3 different obc, all went through in cad at 10%.

you make sense in whether the cruise was booked at par or in cad with the .90 cent ending. my cruise had the incorrect price on the website, so I grabbed while the getting was good. it ends in .30 cents.

I'm going with--I paid at 10% and that's why I was charged obc at 10%. that works for me!

You must mean AUGUST 24, 3 days ago? If today is Sept 24 I missed my one way cruise Vancouver to Hawaii.

Your cruise was $768 or $768.90? The $768.90 cruises are $699 US$ cruises plus 10% Canadian exchange so I would have expected your OBC to have been an extra 10% as well.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Okay, so it sounds as though your cruise is 10% more in Canadian but I think you indicated your OBC came through at par. If so, that blows my theory.

I am about to call to purchase some OBC for my Sept 16 Hawaii cruise which is 10% higher priced booked in Canadian.

Terry

I confirmed that it was at par by calling Visa sunday, and it came up online yesterday as $300, going to see what if it still is at partomorrow as I'll buy more tomorrow. Worst thing that can happen is I don't 'end up and using it all, ang get ut back in USD

Thought of the 12 day hawaii also, just didn't have the time for it, but had to use up $1200 credit from last year too

Just off the phone with Princess. Bought $1000 OBC and she confirmed that we were booked in Canadian and that our card will be charged in Canadian. But $1000 OBC came to $1100 so it looks like I have run out of luck as well.

Will check with the credit card company in a day or two just to confirm

Terry

I dont think that it does show up there. They email you a receipt and there will be certificates in your room indicating the amount when you start your cruise.

The pre purchase system was designed as a way for others to give you gifts for your cruise so they are carefiul not to spoil the surprise even if in reality you are giving the gift to yourself.

Terry

I just did another OBC for $500 this morning, they charged my Visa for $500 Canadian, as a single gift of $500 (01-6022).

My transactions were charged from Princess Services Vancouver, not sure why, but the rep said it will be charged from their Vancouver account for Canadian Payments.

I asked if they had any call centers in Vancouver, she said no, as their Main Call Center is in San Clarita, CA and they have a smaller one in Seattle.

not sure why some of you are getting different results, I call the 1-800-774-6237 number

press 2 - existing reservation

press 3 - existing reservation

I get the CSR, and booked the OBC, didn't ask for exchange rate, 2 transactions today, both were billed in CAD

did a second transaction afterwards, same thing, so it must be how the cruise was booked, as I got different call centers

Snow Cat, the OBC won't post on the personlizer, as it is considered a gift, you will get a card in your stateroom the day you arrive. Keep a copy of the email confirmation with you though.

Edited by M4dC0w

You must mean AUGUST 24, 3 days ago? If today is Sept 24 I missed my one way cruise Vancouver to Hawaii.

Your cruise was $768 or $768.90? The $768.90 cruises are $699 US$ cruises plus 10% Canadian exchange so I would have expected your OBC to have been an extra 10% as well.

Terry

Terry,

The cruise was $768, no cents. Folio to be charged in USD

All OBC purchases charged from Vancouver, and all in CAD

3 transactions in 2 days, one on Aug 24, 2 on Aug 28, but all $500 or less

SPECIAL SERVICES GIFTS

Gift ID Description QTY Cost From

01 6015 Onboard Credit $100.00 Usd Bon Voyage! 3 100.00 N/A

01 6022 Onboard Credit $500.00 Usd N/A 1 500.00 N/A

01 6022 Onboard Credit $500.00 Usd * 1 500.00 *

Amount Received: 1,300.00 Balance Due: 0.00

Edited by M4dC0w

Just off the phone with Princess. Bought $1000 OBC and she confirmed that we were booked in Canadian and that our card will be charged in Canadian. But $1000 OBC came to $1100 so it looks like I have run out of luck as well.

Will check with the credit card company in a day or two just to confirm

Terry

It is a little confusing what is going on. I just bought some OBC for up coming cruises I am doing over the months of Sept and Oct. They are B2B so I thought I would spread the OBC's out over the separate cruises. The one for Sept. went thru correctly paid in Canadian and received U.S. with no exchange charged then we went to do the same for Oct. trip and it came showing exchange so the girl tried several times but billing kept showing an exchange rate on it. Eventually I asked them to put all the money on the Sept. trip as what ever is not spent just carries over to the next leg. So still not sure why the Sept. trips were going thru without exchange but Oct. they wanted it. Anyways all is resolved and I am happy.

Hmmm.... I can't see that the cruise would make a difference, I can see it being the call center.

Imjust know all 3 of my transactions were from the San Clarita office, billed as "princess cruise servic vancouver, bc"

Where are the ones billed from that included 10%?