Sooo excited, and yet not

Dee777

For me it's the turbulence also. Just wracks my nerves. I wouldn't mind it at all if there was a way to do without that darn turbulence.

Just FYI, during turbulence the "bumps" only affect the plane's altitude about 5-10 feet up or down. It's more on very rare occasions. Also the ability to know about and avoid rough air has greatly improved and it's a lot more real-time than a decade ago.

I know flying is super safe, but it's just the idea that if an "accident" happens, the consequences are far more deadly than any other type of travel.

This is somewhat of a media-created myth and a hold back from the 70's and before. According to the NTSB, 85% of passengers survive serious crashes. That's thanks to better crashworthy design of planes, airport crash equipment and response, cabin crew training, etc. The Asiana crash was a very bad crash and everyone walked away (the 2 fatalities were survivors who were run over by a fire truck). Similar to an auto accident in the 60's that was much more likely to be deadly than the same accident in a modern car.

A cabin safety expert was talking about the "12-second rule" the NTSB discovered. Passengers in motion towards an exit within 12 seconds after a crash have a far greater chance of surviving, especially in a post-crash fire. He mentioned use of sedatives actually decreases the odds, which is sort of ironic.

I work in the aerospace industry, engineering to be specific. It's my job to make sure you all fly safely...well, it's my job to make sure the planes are built safely, in reality ;)

There have been several times that I have flown next to a nervous flyer. I always like asking them if they want me to explain and "odd" noise or movement. I once flew LGW-PHL across the aisle from a girl who seemed to look over and ask me what was going on every 10 minutes. By the time we were coming in to land, she seemed much more at ease. Knowledge is a huge benefit when it comes to easing nervousness. I am serious. Knowing how much goes in to the design, testing, and certification of an aircraft will blow your mind...in a good way.

That may not help much, but let me put it this way - I know how planes are design, tested, built, flown and maintained. If I choose to fly, knowing all of the details that go in to an aircraft, that means that I feel pretty safe doing it ;)

I work in the aerospace industry, engineering to be specific. It's my job to make sure you all fly safely...well, it's my job to make sure the planes are built safely, in reality ;)

There have been several times that I have flown next to a nervous flyer. I always like asking them if they want me to explain and "odd" noise or movement. I once flew LGW-PHL across the aisle from a girl who seemed to look over and ask me what was going on every 10 minutes. By the time we were coming in to land, she seemed much more at ease. Knowledge is a huge benefit when it comes to easing nervousness. I am serious. Knowing how much goes in to the design, testing, and certification of an aircraft will blow your mind...in a good way.

That may not help much, but let me put it this way - I know how planes are design, tested, built, flown and maintained. If I choose to fly, knowing all of the details that go in to an aircraft, that means that I feel pretty safe doing it ;)

Hi Zach1213 - we're from Olathe too!