Mazatlan?????

tjcletsgo

Below is a copy of the official Department of State warning information for Sinaloa State, Mexico. It does not appear inappropriate for Princess to delay resuming Mazatlan as a port of call.

Sinaloa: Mazatlan is a major city/travel destination in Sinaloa - see map to identify its exact location: You should defer non-essential travel to the state of Sinaloa except the city of Mazatlan where you should exercise caution, particularly late at night and in the early morning. One of Mexico's most powerful TCOs is based in the state of Sinaloa. With the exception of Ciudad Juarez, since 2006 more homicides have occurred in the state's capital city of Culiacan than in any other city in Mexico. Travel off the toll roads ("cuotas") in remote areas of Sinaloa is especially dangerous and should be avoided. We recommend that any travel in Mazatlan be limited to Zona Dorada and the historic town center, as well as direct routes to/from these locations and the airport.

Below is a copy of the official Department of State warning information for Sinaloa State, Mexico. It does not appear inappropriate for Princess to delay resuming Mazatlan as a port of call.

Sinaloa: Mazatlan is a major city/travel destination in Sinaloa - see map to identify its exact location: You should defer non-essential travel to the state of Sinaloa except the city of Mazatlan where you should exercise caution, particularly late at night and in the early morning. One of Mexico's most powerful TCOs is based in the state of Sinaloa. With the exception of Ciudad Juarez, since 2006 more homicides have occurred in the state's capital city of Culiacan than in any other city in Mexico. Travel off the toll roads ("cuotas") in remote areas of Sinaloa is especially dangerous and should be avoided. We recommend that any travel in Mazatlan be limited to Zona Dorada and the historic town center, as well as direct routes to/from these locations and the airport.

That tells me Mazatian is safe for cruise ship passengers who will not be ashore late at night or in the early morning and who stay in the areas listed as not a problem.

I want to clear up some misconceptions about Mazatlan.

First of all --- NO cruise passengers have been harmed in Mazatlan. If you can prove me wrong, take your best shot !!!

Second -- Mazatlan has spent millions of dollars beefing up security and installing surveillence cameras all over the city in order to show the cruise lines that they value the cruise business. That is why some of the cruise lines have resumed calling at that port.

Mazatlan has a lot to offer and I have no fear of going into the city or to Stone Island.

Those who choose to be afraid because of the past news media efforts to stop the tourism are missing a lot !.

Considering how incredibly stupid some of these travelers are, that's a true testament to how safe some of these ports are for TOURIST. After all some are getting off the boat, who did not even realize getting on, they needed a decent outfit for the trip.

I love Mazatlan but on my last cruise I heard the usual complaints, too much Spanish, too dirty, too many Mexicans.

11887723896_3d8a35b19b_n.jpg

Princess Cruise 524 by ,

Edited by Blk_Amish

We got "taken" in Mazatlan several years ago. Our fault for being stupid and not buying from one of the ship sponsored stores. That said, it left a terrible taste in our mouth and we will never, ever go on a cruise that stops at any Mexican ports. I realize that is harsh and someone can disagree with me (hey I said it was our fault), but in a country so impoverished that tourism is important to their livelihood, my few dollars that I might have spent can go somewhere else.

I don't necessarily agree that travelers are stupid....naive maybe . I consider myself fairly intelligent and sometimes mistakes or poor judgement can happen. We have cruised a fair amount(11 cruises and another one booked soon) and I see so many newbies get off at a port with the "deer in the headlight" look. They can be readily spotted by someone wanting to take advantage of them.

The day we were headed to Chaccohben ruins out of Costa Maya and saw "soldiers" standing by a run down shack with machine guns in the middle of the road made me reconsider my travels in Mexico. Several of these "soldiers" looked like they were 15 yrs old and I could just see them stopping the bus from the cruise line and taking all our possessions....No more Mexico for me!

Yes, it can happen anywhere, not disputing that.....I don't actively seek out bad parts of US cities either but why risk it in another country if there are/have been problems?

Edited by calliecat

From doing more land trips (Mexico, Jamaica and US ) and staying put in a place for days not hours, I have seen incredibly stupid tourists. Tourists getting off the ship seeking weed/ganja and or sex. In Ocho Rios (I am a local as well) someone 'offered' me $3000, for my time. I got to admit I was impressed until I found out it was local currency:eek:. I told them to save it for the tip. If you got on the ship not knowing that you need a nice outfit and tip, you should not be allowed off at ANY port. Your ignorance could cause harm to yourself and others. The first sea day should be a check of those who should be left off. You should know 5 important facts about the port before given permission to leave the ship, along with tip and a nice outfit. Anyway this port is considered safe so hopefully the ships will return for those who love the country as much as I do. It would NOT be good if everyone got off, too crowded.

I travel a lot so if I avoid places where bad things happened I would literally have to stay home. Got picked pocket in Barcelona, got pulled over by the cops in Mexico, almost mugged in San Francisco, almost got tramped in NY, had a relative murdered in DC, called the N word while traveling with my hubby too many times over the past 2 decades. I almost got ran over in Rome for looking up at building than looking out for cars. Traffic is Rome in horrible when walking.

There is a sweet spot on this planet for eveyone, let's find it.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Calliecat --- Nothing I say will allay your fear of Mexico, but the state you live in has a higher rate of violent crime than the average in the US.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mo/crime/

Having said that, the misconception you have of the highway checkpoints in Mexico could be eased with a little research and information. They are not there to rob you---They are there to control crime.

Your fear of other countries could cause you to miss out on some very beautiful parts of this world we live in.

Edited by swedish weave

I was driving in Tulum, South of Cancun, taking the back roads when my DD (6 at the time) said, Mexico is like Jamaica with better roads. My DS (9 at the time) added and without the ganja. It's a proud moment when your children can identify differences and similarities in their travel destinations.

I would love to see Mazatlan back on the itinerary. It doesn't feel like an extension of the US, like some of the other ports. Fingers crossed because I could drive to port again.

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

I was driving in Tulum, South of Cancun, taking the back roads when my DD (6 at the time) said, Mexico is like Jamaica with better roads. My DS (9 at the time) added and without the ganja. It's a proud moment when your children can identify differences and similarities in their travel destinations.

I would love to see Mazatlan back on the itinerary. It doesn't feel like an extension of the US, like some of the other ports. Fingers crossed because I could drive to port again.

Pauline

:):D Love it!

I have been to Mazatlan and loved it. It would be great to go back but not until they get the drug cartels under control which is not going to happen anytime soon. It is all out war in places particularly along the border but also inland in some areas. I am in no hurry.

Someone mentioned the roadblocks. The drug cartels and other desperados also do road blocks in what seems like a police action when in fact it is to rob unsuspecting people. This is not true in the Yucutan but is true in western states like Sonora etc. Driving in the western states (yes they are called states - 31 to be exact) and near the US border is not advised.

I have been to Mazatlan and loved it. It would be great to go back but not until they get the drug cartels under control which is not going to happen anytime soon. It is all out war in places particularly along the border but also inland in some areas. I am in no hurry.

Someone mentioned the roadblocks. The drug cartels and other desperados also do road blocks in what seems like a police action when in fact it is to rob unsuspecting people. This is not true in the Yucutan but is true in western states like Sonora etc. Driving in the western states (yes they are called states - 31 to be exact) and near the US border is not advised.

The incident that a previous poster mentioned was in Costa Maya which is on the East coast of Mexico.

Mazatlan has spent a lot of money and time to clean up the city recently in order to re-establish the port as a cruise ship stop.

The US media does not want to give up their game of disparaging Mexico. They do not want to show the world how bad things are in this country.